• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 Tour de France: Stage 1, Utrecht-Utrecht

Page 45 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
Just back from Utrecht. It was great :D

Once you accept that you'll get all sweaty and hot, it is great to cheer all the riders. There was a guy across the road from where I was standing, who anounced the names of the next riders. Huge cheers for everybody, but the noise for the Dutch riders was incredible. You could hear the roar roll through the streets when the Dutchie went on his course.

GC
1 Rohan DENNIS AUS BMC 14:56
9 Wilco KELDERMAN NED TLJ 30
11 Robert GESINK NED TLJ 33
14 Bauke MOLLEMA NED TFR 37
17 Rigoberto URAN URAN COL EQS 40
18 Thibaut PINOT FRA FDJ 41
20 Tejay VAN GARDEREN USA BMC 42
22 Vincenzo NIBALI ITA AST 43
39 Christopher FROOME GBR SKY 50
43 Alejandro VALVERDE BELMONTE ESP MOV 56
46 Alberto CONTADOR VELASCO ESP TCS 58
50 Jean-Christophe PERAUD FRA ALM 59
57 Nairo Alexander QUINTANA ROJAS COL MOV +1:01
90 Andrew TALANSKY USA TCG +1:15

Krzysztof_O said:
Quintana only 18 seconds down on Nibali and Movistar will be strong in TTT. Nairo could potentially be positioned very well before the mountains (unless he crashes in the first week).

In my opinion it is absolutely terrible that the biggest gaps in first 10 days outside of maybe cobbles will be created in TTT.

Stage 1 should have been TTT, stage 10 ITT, and one more ITT later in the race.

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
damian13ster said:
Krzysztof_O said:
Quintana only 18 seconds down on Nibali and Movistar will be strong in TTT. Nairo could potentially be positioned very well before the mountains (unless he crashes in the first week).

In my opinion it is absolutely terrible that the biggest gaps in first 10 days outside of maybe cobbles will be created in TTT.

Stage 1 should have been TTT, stage 10 ITT, and one more ITT later in the race.

Terrible was last year. So far so good this time.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Nice Grand Départ and good crowds. The dutch riders brought their A-game, nicely done!

Interesting results with several Top-10 contestants gaining a bit of time on the "fab 4"

Amazing time by Dennis, fastest average speed in TdF history

hfer07 said:
So.... Once again the underrated, underestimated Vincenzo Nibali came on Top of the main competitors..... But hey!!! Keep throwing sh!t at him - that's how he disappoints the haters :D
I'll repeat it once more: People throw *** at him because the Tour-only approach is pathetic. Not because he's a terrible rider who has no chance to win the Tour.

Re: Re:

Miburo said:
Kelderman? stop it LMAO
Ryo Hazuki said:
I will bet my ballsack kelderman won't top ten here. still hilarious though how you overrate the dutch :tranen:
jB0QYM5.gif

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
hfer07 said:
So.... Once again the underrated, underestimated Vincenzo Nibali came on Top of the main competitors..... But hey!!! Keep throwing sh!t at him - that's how he disappoints the haters :D
I'll repeat it once more: People throw **** at him because the Tour-only approach is pathetic. Not because he's a terrible rider who has no chance to win the Tour.

If people had a chance to win the tour, I'm sure they'd maximise their chances to do so by training correctly., just like every GC contender. It appears for Nibali that this approach is successful so why shouldn't he do this. Some fans need to realise that the riders' job isn't to entertain the fans but to win and the Tour is the biggest victory of them all.

Squirbos_19 said:
LaFlorecita said:
hfer07 said:
I'll repeat it once more: People throw **** at him because the Tour-only approach is pathetic. Not because he's a terrible rider who has no chance to win the Tour.

If people had a chance to win the tour, I'm sure they'd maximise their chances to do so by training correctly., just like every GC contender. It appears for Nibali that this approach is successful so why shouldn't he do this. Some fans need to realise that the riders' job isn't to entertain the fans but to win and the Tour is the biggest victory of them all.
Does that mean fans can't find this approach pathetic? Of course not. Armstrong got *** for it, Schleck got *** for it, JVDB got *** for it, don't be surprised that Nibali gets *** for it too.

concorde said:
classicomano said:
Miburo said:
Kelderman? stop it LMAO
Ryo Hazuki said:
I will bet my ballsack kelderman won't top ten here. still hilarious though how you overrate the dutch :tranen:
jB0QYM5.gif

Actually i also think Kelderman will be in top 10 .. he is in his best form of his life/career ..
I still don't believe that. Yes its certainly possible but there are just so many great climbers in this tour, that it will be extremely difficult

Pantani_lives said:
DenisMenchov said:
Nice
GESINK Robert + 00' 33'
MOLLEMA Bauke + 00' 37''
PINOT Thibaut + 00' 41''
All better than the BIG4

Yes, Nibali wasn't that good; Froome and Contador were over par today. (I almost said under par, but that's good in golf.)

It's hard to say what role the wind played, but don't forget Cancellara was also a late starter and he took over half a minute on Nibali.

But we are talking about cycling so are you saying that CF and AC were over normal/average. Are you referring to their performance or their time?

While I didn't pick RD to win, I'm not the least bit surprised that a guy who trained for the hour record (and got it), and then focused on this TT for months won it. For the most part the GC guys were about what I expected. NQ surprised me a bit going faster than I expected, and AT surprised me going slower than I expected.

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Squirbos_19 said:
LaFlorecita said:
hfer07 said:

Does that mean fans can't find this approach pathetic? Of course not. Armstrong got **** for it, Schleck got **** for it, JVDB got **** for it, don't be surprised that Nibali gets **** for it too.

Im not surprised that Nibali and the others get hate for doing this, because the fans want good racing year round. People can say it's pathetic but in my opinion I don't have a real problem with it. However if every GC guy did this, then I would be upset.

LaFlorecita said:
Squirbos_19 said:
LaFlorecita said:
hfer07 said:

Does that mean fans can't find this approach pathetic? Of course not. Armstrong got **** for it, Schleck got **** for it, JVDB got **** for it, don't be surprised that Nibali gets **** for it too.

Who? :cool:

Alcanelo said:
mr. tibbs said:
SeriousSam said:
Impressive. Nibali, who most here rated as an inferior TTer compared to Contador and Froome beats them under the same conditions. He continues to surprise.

...Yep. ;)

Happy for Pinot. The wind must have changed toward the end. Good day all around. I wouldn't mind seeing Froome, Quintana, and Contador with 1:30 or 2:00 to make up on Nibali in the mountains. Would make for spectacular racing.

How in the name of God will Nibali put nearly 2 minutes into them before the mountains?

The cobbles my dear.

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site

the asian said:
Alcanelo said:
mr. tibbs said:
SeriousSam said:
Impressive. Nibali, who most here rated as an inferior TTer compared to Contador and Froome beats them under the same conditions. He continues to surprise.

...Yep. ;)

Happy for Pinot. The wind must have changed toward the end. Good day all around. I wouldn't mind seeing Froome, Quintana, and Contador with 1:30 or 2:00 to make up on Nibali in the mountains. Would make for spectacular racing.

How in the name of God will Nibali put nearly 2 minutes into them before the mountains?

The cobbles my dear.

Indeed, the cobbles .. NIbalis biggest chance, and he is gonna ride the cobbles as if he had stolen the bike from armed gipsies!! .. 2 min i think is fair bet on Chris and Qintana, Contador will not loose much.

P.S i Still think Froome and Quintana will be 1 and 2 in the tour with no crashes :D

TRENDING THREADS