• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 Tour De France Stage 4: Seraing - Cambrai, 223.5 km

Page 46 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The Barb said:
I really hate to be the guy who brags about a winning bet but I hardly ever bet this much (let alone on a 60-1 chance) and I'd planned to back Tony for this stage the first time I saw the course, so forgive me if I'm a little bit pleased with myself.

Oh man! Watching the last few KM must have been crazy for you! That's quite the windfall, congrats.

General comment - I agree with what carols said about the stage. It all ended up a wash, GC-wise, but whatever. 'Indistinguishable from a mass sprint stage' is a pretty different description from the reality of what I watched. GC guys on the limit trying to close gaps, classics guys playing the dual role of trying to stay fresh for a stage suited for them and also trying to shepherd their GC guy along... it was great visually to pick out who was positioned where, who was moving up, who was too far back, etc. It's fun when things break up and stay broken up, for sure, but that's an obvious thing to celebrate about cycling. I enjoy stages like this because I have to pay attention to what is going on, and that (along with constant uncertainty about what is going to happen next) is exciting to me, at least to the same degree of excitement I get from looking at what time everyone finished with. Way different than a stage where everyone rides together and the GC guys stay at the front in the exact same places for the whole time until 2k left to go on the mountain or something. So yeah, good stage, no crashes, no real mechanical issues deciding GC. I'm happy with it.

Great to see Tony finally take the yellow jersey and in such style. I would have liked to see a bit more action, but It was almost impossible to break away earlier today due to the headwind. Anyway, the cobbles always bring at least tension, if they don't bring huge excitement. I'm glad that Quintana managed to hold on at the back, but it would have made the GC more interesting if Nibali had taken some time back, but Astana certainly didn't have any luck today. Unfortunately, Pinot lost out, but it could give him the freedom to attack in the mountains. G continues to be very solid and Roche was impressive today.

skidmark said:
The Barb said:
I really hate to be the guy who brags about a winning bet but I hardly ever bet this much (let alone on a 60-1 chance) and I'd planned to back Tony for this stage the first time I saw the course, so forgive me if I'm a little bit pleased with myself.

Oh man! Watching the last few KM must have been crazy for you! That's quite the windfall, congrats.

General comment - I agree with what carols said about the stage. It all ended up a wash, GC-wise, but whatever. 'Indistinguishable from a mass sprint stage' is a pretty different description from the reality of what I watched. GC guys on the limit trying to close gaps, classics guys playing the dual role of trying to stay fresh for a stage suited for them and also trying to shepherd their GC guy along... it was great visually to pick out who was positioned where, who was moving up, who was too far back, etc. It's fun when things break up and stay broken up, for sure, but that's an obvious thing to celebrate about cycling. I enjoy stages like this because I have to pay attention to what is going on, and that (along with constant uncertainty about what is going to happen next) is exciting to me, at least to the same degree of excitement I get from looking at what time everyone finished with. Way different than a stage where everyone rides together and the GC guys stay at the front in the exact same places for the whole time until 2k left to go on the mountain or something. So yeah, good stage, no crashes, no real mechanical issues deciding GC. I'm happy with it.

Excellent post, full agreement.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Escarabajo said:
I am little surprised that the forum didn't crash when Froome went hard and tried to drop everyone. I thought it was an LOL moment!!!

Wait for the record on the the plateau de beille

The Barb said:

Congrats. Must've been some pretty intense last kilometers ;)

On VanMarcke, from cyclingnews:

Last year the Belkin team, now LottoNL-Jumbo, won the cobbled stage. The team expected to perform well again this year with Belgian rider Vanmarcke as the dedicated team leader for the stage. The team performed well, but just like at the spring classics, Vanmarcke was confronted with bad luck. After paying a visit to the doping control unit, the 26-year-old was clearly emotional and desperate when talking to the media at the team bus.

“It just keeps going on. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. I can’t blame the equipment as the others don’t have mechanicals. It must be something with me," Vanmarcke said. "What is sure is that I was very good. I could’ve attacked on any sector but I had to ride smart but then it went wrong. I flatted on the penultimate and the last sector."

He bridged back just before the final pavé sector after that first flat tyre. “It could still happen in the last pavé sector. I obviously started taking risks to move up otherwise it was over anyway. That’s why I rode at the side of the road. You couldn’t see anything because of the dust. That’s where I punctured again.”

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
The Barb said:

60-1? That's awesome. How much did you win?

Psychologically, I can't do long shot betting, even though you only need it to happen once in 61 times to break even.

Re:

Jagartrott said:
On VanMarcke, from cyclingnews:

Last year the Belkin team, now LottoNL-Jumbo, won the cobbled stage. The team expected to perform well again this year with Belgian rider Vanmarcke as the dedicated team leader for the stage. The team performed well, but just like at the spring classics, Vanmarcke was confronted with bad luck. After paying a visit to the doping control unit, the 26-year-old was clearly emotional and desperate when talking to the media at the team bus.

“It just keeps going on. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. I can’t blame the equipment as the others don’t have mechanicals. It must be something with me," Vanmarcke said. "What is sure is that I was very good. I could’ve attacked on any sector but I had to ride smart but then it went wrong. I flatted on the penultimate and the last sector."

He bridged back just before the final pavé sector after that first flat tyre. “It could still happen in the last pavé sector. I obviously started taking risks to move up otherwise it was over anyway. That’s why I rode at the side of the road. You couldn’t see anything because of the dust. That’s where I punctured again.”
Let it go, Sep.
Don't let it be a millstone around your neck. The opportunities are waiting.

I didnt check yet to see if Seph had any teammates around when he was flatting? After all Tony Martin flatted and got a bike from his team also it happens at PR all the time and doesnt prevent winners from winning in all cases. I am inclined to blame team strength not only because he needs someone with him near the finale but because when you are on the team that controls the race then the lead group slows down while you change tire/bike/whatever

Re:

myrideissteelerthanyours said:
I didnt check yet to see if Seph had any teammates around when he was flatting? After all Tony Martin flatted and got a bike from his team also it happens at PR all the time and doesnt prevent winners from winning in all cases. I am inclined to blame team strength not only because he needs someone with him near the finale but because when you are on the team that controls the race then the lead group slows down while you change tire/bike/whatever
Good point.
The team had to split it's protection today, though.

Only just got to watch the stage.
Nice, but not spectaculair this year. Still a lot better then annaverage flat stage ofcourse.

Still it's obvious that Nibali really can ride cobbles really well, but he was pretty much the only one together with a few teammates that really tried it together with 2 efforts of Vanmarcke.

Superrrrr happy for Tony Martin!

Re: Re:

pastronef said:
IlGrillo said:
CHjX-pSVEAED29v.jpg

when there´s nothing to say, and an hated rider does great, we are back to the jokes, right? :p

Hating a rider. That's really sad.

Kind of surprising that after an ITT, a flat stage, a hill top finish and a cobbles stage, the stage which caused by far the biggest gaps is the flat one :D
To be honest its not that surprising because cross wind was expected but if you only look on the profiles its pretty strange.

TRENDING THREADS