• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 Tour de France Stage 5: Arras-Amiens 189.5km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
Sagan shouldn't have to protect Contador too much, so he's my pick for the win. He's been very strong and he's had to work a lot more than other sprinters, so tomorrow should be a bit even in the effort before the sprint.

Re:

Squirbos_19 said:
Sagan shouldn't have to protect Contador too much, so he's my pick for the win. He's been very strong and he's had to work a lot more than other sprinters, so tomorrow should be a bit even in the effort before the sprint.

There are chances of crosswinds, so it's definitely possible that he'll be required to put in some effort before the sprint for Contador

Re: Re:

PremierAndrew said:
Squirbos_19 said:

There are chances of crosswinds, so it's definitely possible that he'll be required to put in some effort before the sprint for Contador
True, although on stage 2 he was just hanging at the back of the group for most of the time, if Tinkoff-Saxo are in the front group with several domestiques I guess we'll see more of the same :)

This stage could actually be pretty interesting in terms of cross wind. There will be pretty heavy west wind and because there are many turns the direction of the riders will change often which leads to some chances for echelons.
Dko2Mxhl.jpg

I am curious

ps: guys, when you make a stage thread its a shame when you can't even put the map into the opening post.

Re:

Escarabajo said:
So is Cav going to work for Martin tomorrow or the other way around?

Etixx is here for stage wins. They will probably do whatever it takes to win a stage. The most likely way for that to happen is to ride for Cav. It will probably be a bunch sprint. Surely other teams will help control the breakaways. Tony should be there in the final and should be able to keep the jersey even if he rides some for Cav...imo.

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
PremierAndrew said:
Squirbos_19 said:

True, although on stage 2 he was just hanging at the back of the group for most of the time, if Tinkoff-Saxo are in the front group with several domestiques I guess we'll see more of the same :)

Damn, he better get some stages with absolute freedom this tour. Contador better deliver otherwise I'm not sure Sagan will be happy after the tour of he had to ride everyday for him.

SafeBet said:
SeriousSam said:
Is Kristoff going to start racing in this Tour at some point? Does anyone know what he's targetting?
I was wondering the same.
Dominant season and then he comes to the Tour and he's almost invisible.

Time to pick it up.
Bad luck today, and on stage 2, I don't know what went wrong for him. Tomorrow is for Kristoff. Expecting a classic Paolini lead out

Re:

somedude said:
What race threads have consisted of.

[quote is altered, i feel a ban coming on!]

80% complaining about opening post

13% wishing Cav will crash/ not get contract/ fail/ moan

3% actual race content

40% moaning about content of thread. (That's me)
FIXED

Threads have had an inordinate amount of pompous whiny b!t#@s and that is compared to prior years which had no shortage of same, and some who cannot admit that you can't have 136% when there is only 100%.

So everybody is thinking mass sprint?
If the wind forecast is accurate, I am seeing a stage the like of the 2013 St Amand Montrond one, with Tinkoff making a power move to create echelons, both for Sagan's win and Contador regaining some time. It is becoming clear, now, from we what we have seen in the Grand Tours in the last few years, that you can gain much more time in the plain than on MTFs (minutes vs seconds).

The wind might be strong enough, but its direction doesn't seem to be very favourable as predicted atm. That would be headwind most of the time in the final and even in the parts with crosswind, it should be rather cross-headwind than cross-tailwind which is the best for echelons.

Re:

Poursuivant said:
Could you also adjust the font, provide relevant links on the history of each town, and provide minutes of the meetings between ASO and the towns when they were signing the contract to be in this years tour. Also, would it be too much to ask for Eddy Merckx singing Bohemian Rhapsody in a South African accent, I mean come on mate, pull your finger out.
A little humor never hurts, and after the awful three days I and Pinot had, it is welcome. I'm trying to imagine Eddy right now :D . I like the Sagan 2nd and green prediction. For the win? Greipel. I have a bad feeling about Cav this year.

Re:

TommyGun said:
So everybody is thinking mass sprint?
If the wind forecast is accurate, I am seeing a stage the like of the 2013 St Amand Montrond one, with Tinkoff making a power move to create echelons, both for Sagan's win and Contador regaining some time. It is becoming clear, now, from we what we have seen in the Grand Tours in the last few years, that you can gain much more time in the plain than on MTFs (minutes vs seconds).
I doubt it. They will save energy for the other days to come which look hard enough.
Maybe if they see Froome in bad position. Otherwise I don't think so.

TRENDING THREADS