• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 Tour de France Stage 6: Abbeville-Le Havre 191.5km

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

djpbaltimore said:
Possibly it was thrown in the general vicinity of Froome. Roger Clemens, Mike Piazza territory (another obscure American sports reference most won't understand)

the boards are rife with self-appointed hall monitors these days deciding what is and is not acceptable with their views being the legitimate ones.

hours after the stage is over and the discussion dominated by whether or not nibali and froome have anything to argue over, hypothetical gibberish over whether ac would have gained or lost time and blahbity blahbity blah blah blah,

..... inconsistency and lack of ability to just IGNORE posts that others find uninteresting, it really is remarkable.

Re: Re:

Miburo said:
DBotero said:
Miburo said:
Nah man on the allos when nibali and contador will go full genius, froome won't follow. If he would he would fall in the first corner flat on his face.

Miburo said:
I don't think he has a thread yet. He deserves one, I like how he rides.

And he made fun of Wiggins in the tour, how can you not like him for that? lol

He attacks when he can. And not an ***.

Anyway great rider and IMO the guy who is going to be the biggest challenge for Contador in the future GT's.

And he has a cute girlfriend, she doesn't know when to be quiet, still very nice :D
:eek: :eek: :eek:

I don't see the issue, he can't descend and looks like a donkey on the bike. Did i ever say otherwise?

Lol i was expecting more support for him from such a big fan.
Anyway i'm not convinced that Contador should attack on a descent.It didn't worked on 2013,if i remember right he almost brought down Froome in one stage and in 2014 he had that horrible crash on a descent.Contador as Froome should try on the climbs,let crazy guys like Nibali do these type of tricks.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

ggusta said:
SeriousSam said:
American sports analogies being posted now? Time to close this thread.

Sorry, I didn't realize it was too much effort for some people just to skim along thru posts that occur after the stage is long since over.

Isn't there an ignore button? I know there used to be.
I read that as a joke, could be wrong though

DBotero said:
Loll i was expecting more support for him from such a big fan.
Anyway i'm not convinced that Contador should attack on a descent.It didn't worked on 2013,if i remember right he almost brought down Froome in one stage and in 2014 he had that horrible crash on a descent.Contador as Froome should try on the climbs,let crazy guys like Nibali do these type of tricks.
What, you want Contador to be a pussy? How's Contador going to win the Tour by only attacking uphill? He needs to exploit Froome's weaknesses and climbing isn't one of them.
You can bet your house on Contador attacking on the descent from Allos & Manse if he's behind on GC.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Why does http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/martin-abandons-tour-de-france-due-to-fractured-collarbone say,

The last time a Tour leader crashed, finished the stage, and then abandoned was 1991, when Rolf Sorensen's race lead went to Greg LeMond, but the American didn't wear yellow the day after Sorensen abandoned.

Was not Cancellara wearing the maillot jaune when he crash on Stage 3, finish the stage, and had to abandon due to his injuries? If I remember correctly, Froome inherited the yellow jersey and wore it during stage 4. Why are they talking about him not wearing it tomorrow, 'out of respect for the jersey''? Cancellara doesn't merit respect, but Martin does? What am I missing here?

edit: Cancellara was listed as a DNS for stage 4.

Re:

volosong said:
Why does http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/martin-abandons-tour-de-france-due-to-fractured-collarbone say,

The last time a Tour leader crashed, finished the stage, and then abandoned was 1991, when Rolf Sorensen's race lead went to Greg LeMond, but the American didn't wear yellow the day after Sorensen abandoned.

Was not Cancellara wearing the maillot jaune when he crash on Stage 3, finish the stage, and had to abandon due to his injuries? If I remember correctly, Froome inherited the yellow jersey and wore it during stage 4. Why are they talking about him not wearing it tomorrow, 'out of respect for the jersey''? Cancellara doesn't merit respect, but Martin does? What am I missing here?

Cancellara lost time, he wouldn't have kept the jersey regardless of whether he started or not.

Re:

volosong said:

Cancellara did finish, so it's the same situation. However, unlike Martin, Canc lost a lot of time, so he was no longer at the top of GC. Martin meanwhile did not lose any time

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site

Cancellara lost time, he wouldn't have kept the jersey regardless of whether he started or not.

Okay, I'll accept that. However, I'd bet he wouldn't have lost much if any time if he didn't have to ride most of the stage with two broken vertebrae.

Re:

volosong said:

edit: Cancellara was listed as a DNS for stage 4.
Cancellara wouldn't have worn yellow, even if he had started the next day. He already lost time during the stage, in contrast to Martin, due to the 3km rule.

Z3lvet said:
Flamin said:
Z3lvet said:
Flamin said:
Sagan 2nd again, unbelievable :eek: maybe he didn't have the legs to follow Styby, because he looked to be going very strong. Else it would make no sense at all for Sagan to let him go.

Very glad for Styby though, great stage win in his first Tour. A shame we didn't get to see his attack. Really lame job from the tv director.
You can´t follow from fifth position and drop everyone. Not even Sagan can do that.

What do you mean, drop everyone? Why would he need to do that?
Because then they would outsprint him anyway? I didn´t mean literally everyone. Just Dege, Kris and Coq.

Well yeah, it was too late to go after Styby from the moment he got a 20m gap. Either you react straight away so you don't waste too much energy or you count on others to close the gap. I said before the race I think the first option would be the best, but hey, maybe he didn't have the legs (bit unlikely though) or Styby came from behind and took them all by surprise, got that gap and it was too late to go after him without dragging everybody in your wheel.

If he had the legs, it's clearly a missed chance because he should have known there would be attacks and that the others would look at him to close them down.

On falling, Nibali’s first instinct was to assume that the crash had been Froome’s fault and as he picked himself off the tarmac on the Rue Georges Lafaurie, it appears that he was not at all shy in making his feelings known.

"I was really very angry. In the heat of the moment, I was very angry with him,” Nibali told reporters when he emerges from the Astana bus. “At the time, I thought he was the one who had hit me and caused the fall, but that wasn’t the case. I’ve watched the video since and I’ve seen that it was Tony Martin’s crash that brought us down. Froome came on the bus to clear things up and I apologised to him as well.

“I don’t know exactly what happened, I saw that there was a deviation from left to right, then I was pushed to the right and I hit Froome, who was on my right. I went down heavily, and Barguil fell on top of me, I think.”

How could he, even momentarily, have thought that having a guy thud into him on his left was the fault of a rider on his right? When he climbed out of the heap of bodies, there was no sky shirt among the pile. An entirely irrational accusation, even if it was subsequently withdrawn. He acknowledges his error, but no apology. Poor.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

Armchair cyclist said:
On falling, Nibali’s first instinct was to assume that the crash had been Froome’s fault and as he picked himself off the tarmac on the Rue Georges Lafaurie, it appears that he was not at all shy in making his feelings known.

"I was really very angry. In the heat of the moment, I was very angry with him,” Nibali told reporters when he emerges from the Astana bus. “At the time, I thought he was the one who had hit me and caused the fall, but that wasn’t the case. I’ve watched the video since and I’ve seen that it was Tony Martin’s crash that brought us down. Froome came on the bus to clear things up and I apologised to him as well.

“I don’t know exactly what happened, I saw that there was a deviation from left to right, then I was pushed to the right and I hit Froome, who was on my right. I went down heavily, and Barguil fell on top of me, I think.”

How could he, even momentarily, have thought that having a guy thud into him on his left was the fault of a rider on his right? When he climbed out of the heap of bodies, there was no sky shirt among the pile. An entirely irrational accusation, even if it was subsequently withdrawn. He acknowledges his error, but no apology. Poor.
He has apologized to him in person and on twitter.
No idea how he thought Froome cause the crash, Valverde thought the same and he was behind, presumably he would have seen it all happen

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site

Armchair cyclist said:

Maybe by "I saw" he's saying "when I watched the footage after I saw this is what happened"? Just a guess, don't know either way obviously. He apologized to Froome which was pretty clearly the right thing to do.

etphonehome said:
Armchair cyclist said:

Maybe by "I saw" he's saying "when I watched the footage after I saw this is what happened"? Just a guess, don't know either way obviously. He apologized to Froome which was pretty clearly the right thing to do.

?

TRENDING THREADS