• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 Tour de Suisse Stage 3 Quinto – Olivone 174.5 km

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Fans may be a bit too concerned with victories. I would imagine professionals care quite a bit about what position they are fighting for because they understand the significance better. Top 10's and top 15's are not as valued, but a top 5 would be a great mark in his career progression IMO. I will be curious to see how well Majka climbs on Wednesday.

No they won't. Froome is the best climber. And the way to spend his energy is to make him chase, and the only way to do that is have the 2nd rider that is serious threat in GC. There will be no need for Majka to set the pace at all, unless it is to help Contador after he dropped, and if that is the case and Majka is still going strong at that point then he is better off staying with leaders.

Can you name one other scenario in which Majka should lead the group instead of having Astana/Sky set the pace?

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
You don't have to be a GC threat to be relevant in a long range attack.

Have you seen the vuelta 2012?

Do you know paulinho?

Have you seen the tour 2011?

Do you know monfort?

Have you seen the vuelta 2005? Ask libertine, he had a great summary on it.

and so much more examples that shows it's not necessary for majka to be a gc threat to make an attack

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
That said i don't disagree with the fact that majka should be a second gc threat, but he doesn't have to be one to be relevant in a long range attack.

Re:

damian13ster said:
No they won't. Froome is the best climber. And the way to spend his energy is to make him chase, and the only way to do that is have the 2nd rider that is serious threat in GC. There will be no need for Majka to set the pace at all, unless it is to help Contador after he dropped, and if that is the case and Majka is still going strong at that point then he is better off staying with leaders.

Can you name one other scenario in which Majka should lead the group instead of having Astana/Sky set the pace?

a) Majka is with Contador and at least one (but not all) of the GC contenders has been dropped.

b) Contador is in yellow and there is a small group near the end of a stage and Majka is the only other Saxo guy.

Re: Re:

Tank Engine said:
damian13ster said:

a) Majka is with Contador and at least one (but not all) of the GC contenders has been dropped.

b) Contador is in yellow and there is a small group near the end of a stage and Majka is the only other Saxo guy.

b) And how is that beneficial? Again, no need to set pace in such a scenario because that plays into Froome's, Quintana's, and Nibali's hand since they are less explosive climbers and prefer hard pace.
Contador would want things slow so he doesn't get dropped and then can do last km attack Vuelta style for bonus seconds. That's his tactic since 2012.

Actually that argument also applies to a). Contador is most explosive among GC contenders so he doesn't want the pace to be high (if it costs his team energy) so he can outsprint them.
The only way Contador can win is if he is in yellow at the end of stage 9 and if there are no superdoms in other team that can crack him (like Landa). There is no role to be played by Majka here unless he has 2+ minutes advantage in GC and is trying to limit the losses so needs Majka to do Froome's role in 2012

damian13ster said:
Tank Engine said:
damian13ster said:

b) And how is that beneficial? Again, no need to set pace in such a scenario because that plays into Froome's, Quintana's, and Nibali's hand since they are less explosive climbers and prefer hard pace.
Contador would want things slow so he doesn't get dropped and then can do last km attack Vuelta style for bonus seconds. That's his tactic since 2012.

OK, Froome and Nibali maybe are more rhythm climbers, I'm not so sure about Quintana, there haven't been many occasions to compare, but at T-A Quintana did not look less explosive.

So are the others are going to allow Contador to go slow so he doesn't get dropped or is Majka going to go so fast that Bertie gets dropped :confused:

damian13ster said:
Actually that argument also applies to a). Contador is most explosive among GC contenders so he doesn't want the pace to be high (if it costs his team energy) so he can outsprint them.
The only way Contador can win is if he is in yellow at the end of stage 9 and if there are no superdoms in other team that can crack him (like Landa). There is no role to be played by Majka here unless he has 2+ minutes advantage in GC and is trying to limit the losses so needs Majka to do Froome's role in 2012

So if one of the other GC candidates is having a bad day and has been dropped, he doesn't want the pace to be high?

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

damian13ster said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
amazing all the colombians in front _O_

Wait, what? I see one in top 5 (and none on the podium). And none in top 10 in GC.
Is there something wrong with my eyes?

I do undestand nationalistic pride but top 5 on a stage is hardly a great success?
oh here we have another bafoon who only checks the results of a stage and didn't watch it :eek:

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

Netserk said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
Too hard for Sagan today?
they softpedalled the gothard and first 2nd category climb. still a group of less than 30 riders. the course was very hard. didn't say it was too hard for sagan I believe anywhere

Ryo Hazuki said:
damian13ster said:
Ryo Hazuki said:

Wait, what? I see one in top 5 (and none on the podium). And none in top 10 in GC.

I do undestand nationalistic pride but top 5 on a stage is hardly a great success?
oh here we have another bafoon who only checks the results of a stage and didn't watch it :eek:

Yes, an attack in the last 10 k which is reeled in within a couple of minutes is surely an amazing and unique feat

Bushman said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
damian13ster said:
Ryo Hazuki said:

Yes, an attack in the last 10 k which is reeled in within a couple of minutes is surely an amazing and unique feat

Shh, if you are a Colombian and do that it means you are a favorite in TdF

Re:

Ryo Hazuki said:
damian13ster said:
Ryo Hazuki said:

Sometimes I think the mods must have given up on you. But then I realize if that was the case you'd be permabaned. So not sure what the hell is going on.

damian13ster said:
Tank Engine said:
damian13ster said:

Scenario b)
Do you remember what happened on this stage?
Le+Tour+2010+Stage+Eight+9Go3ERb8Kwtl.jpg

in scenario a) Tank Engine described Majka would be used to distance the dropped GC contender while Contador can sit back.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

BigMac said:
Ryo Hazuki said:
damian13ster said:
Ryo Hazuki said:

Sometimes I think the mods must have given up on you. But then I realize if that was the case you'd be permabaned. So not sure what the hell is going on.
crying-baby.jpg

TRENDING THREADS