• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 Vuelta stage 14: Vitoria > Fuente del Chivo 215km

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Arredondo said:
The end of Sammy? :(

What a great rider he was. A little bit underestimated the past years because of the 'big Spanish 3', but he was part of that for sure.

He is definitely past his prime. It's a shame they keep on and only tarnish the grand memories. Samu was a fav at one time, now he is basically anonymous :(.

Re: Re:

Eyeballs Out said:
roundabout said:
Arredondo said:

What a great rider he was. A little bit underestimated the past years because of the 'big Spanish 3', but he was part of that for sure.

Inexplicably, he has a contract for next year.
Can't see why that is so surprising. He was q good in the Tour. Finished 12th despite working for TJVG for the first couple of weeks

He was working for Tejay? I admit, that I watched only pretty much the last 30 minutes of most stages of the Tour, but honestly I can't recall that he was working for Tejay.

But then again with Sanchez he always seem to get praised for work that he didn't do. The 2014 Giro was a particularly obvious example.

Valv.Piti said:
Flamin said:
Very high pace likely means no live coverage of Escudo.

This sucks. Was the moment that I looked forward to the most of todays stage..
I would have expected one more hour of coverage like last year in San Glorio. In any case I'm afraid that having such a hard climb 60kms from the finish will just contribute to reduce the peloton size to 60-70 riders. Just like San Glorio last year.

Also Escudo is kind of one of the most historic and traditional Vuelta passes. When they do an anniversary Vuelta route (which is some way off at present) the climbs you'd probably need would be Escudo, Navacerrada, Formigal, Pajares, Lagos de Covadonga, Angliru and Sierra Nevada in some form.

I would most hope for Escudo + stage finish in Reinosa (intermediate stage), Angliru and Lagos are MTFs obviously so Pajares probably early in an intermediate stage, Sierra Nevada either an MTT or from Güejár Sierra and then descending to finish in Granada and Navacerrada either MTT or descent finish in La Granja or Palazuelos. Formigal would be an MTF but on a less major stage, unless perhaps they came from France.

Carols said:
Arredondo said:

He is definitely past his prime. It's a shame they keep on and only tarnish the grand memories. Samu was a fav at one time, now he is basically anonymous :(.

He came 6th last year in the veulta and "only" lost 9 minutes to Contador.

He lost 4-5 minutes on Contador in 2010 Tour De France so its not that much of a fall.

Scarponi said:
Carols said:
Arredondo said:

He lost 4-5 minutes on Contador in 2010 Tour De France so its not that much of a fall.

And yet was totally anonymous.......

EDIT: Dare I say, ninja like :(

Carols said:
Scarponi said:
Carols said:
Arredondo said:

I guess he never attacked but he was with Aru on a few occasions and always the last one to hang on the big 5. I saw him a lot. This year has been worse though

Scarponi said:
Carols said:
Arredondo said:

Thats extrapolating it a bit. He was better than I had expected last year in the Vuelta, but still far from his climbing in 2009-2011. He was a legitimate thread at that point. Makes me sad to think about how he didnt catch Schleck and Contador on Madeleine

Scarponi said:
Carols said:
Scarponi said:
Carols said:
Arredondo said:

I guess he never attacked but he was with Aru on a few occasions and always the last one to hang on the big 5. I saw him a lot. This year has been worse though

Blatantly not true. He was close on 2 finishes and that's it.

He is definitely past his prime. It's a shame they keep on and only tarnish the grand memories. Samu was a fav at one time, now he is basically anonymous :(.[/quote]

He lost 4-5 minutes on Contador in 2010 Tour De France so its not that much of a fall.[/quote]

EDIT: Dare I say, ninja like :([/quote]

I guess he never attacked but he was with Aru on a few occasions and always the last one to hang on the big 5. I saw him a lot. This year has been worse though[/quote]

Blatantly not true. He was close on 2 finishes and that's it.[/quote]
Blatantly true, I said a few finishes as I could not remember if it was 2, 3 or 4. He also was one of the last riders outside of the top 5. Zero lies in my post . It's a discussion mate

TRENDING THREADS