• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 Vuelta stage 2: Alhaurín de la Torre / Caminito del Rey

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
If the breakaways fail, my gut feeling is that the winner will be a surprise. The contenders will nervously watch each other and ride relatively slowly while they let a few big attacks from non-GC 'contenders' happen in the first km of the final climb. Though this climb is quite long and steep for being a punchy finish ... I agree that some pre-race GC riders might lose +30 seconds.

Re:

BrentonOfTheNorth said:
If the breakaways fail, my gut feeling is that the winner will be a surprise. The contenders will nervously watch each other and ride relatively slowly while they let a few big attacks from non-GC 'contenders' happen in the first km of the final climb. Though this climb is quite long and steep for being a punchy finish ... I agree that some pre-race GC riders might lose +30 seconds.
I don't say this because I don't like him, but I really want to see Froome loosing a whole lot of time early in a gt, just because I want to see if he would go for long range attacks. He is probably the only rider who never really was in such a position, so it would be nice to see. Give him a disadvantage of 3-4 minutes after the first week and lets see how he deals with it :D

Re:

the sceptic said:
Frank Schleck in the top 5 by the way. It is written.

Lots of things are written. ;) I would have stuck with your initial JRod-Bala prediction. My head says that Martin will be up for this, since this is a rare opportunity for him to lead at GT, but he'll almost inevitably be out of position at the bottom of the climb and Bala will take it. My heart says that the favourites will be looking at each other and Danny will skip away.

Re:

BrentonOfTheNorth said:

I' not sure about that. Astana will want to put Froome under real pressure from the very start of the race. Also I think Valverde really fancies his chances of winning the whole thing; to do so he probably needs to pick up time bonuses in stages like this where he is a fairly strong favourite.

Re:

Flamin said:
Somebody knows more about this Caminito del Rey? I read it used to be a less than 1 meter wide walkway on the walls of a gorge, but it got restored this year. This is a video of the restauration. What am I missing here?

It was more ... interesting ... before the restauration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlw6Yk4WT2I

My guess is that they chose to use that name to promote the new pathway: http://www.caminitodelrey.info/en/

The gorge where the pathway is is located right after El Chorro, which they'll pass with 79 and 7 k to go.

Re: Re:

BigMac said:
trevim said:
BigMac said:
Dan Martin vs. Purito vs. Zé Gonçalves.
I like the way you but you're delusional if you think any of those stands a chance against André Cardoso :D

I disagree. Cardoso is a major treat for GC so he'd only be allowed to win had he lost the expected 10 minutes in yesterday's TTT.
It was a 7km TTT, not a 7km ITT, so he might have stayed within 10 minutes.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
SubiendoPuertos ‏@SubiendoPuertos 1 min.1 minuut geleden Vertaling weergeven
#lavuelta 20 km recorridos.
Caída de Matteo Peluchi (IAM).
#LV2015

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

Gigs_98 said:
I don't say this because I don't like him, but I really want to see Froome loosing a whole lot of time early in a gt, just because I want to see if he would go for long range attacks. He is probably the only rider who never really was in such a position, so it would be nice to see. Give him a disadvantage of 3-4 minutes after the first week and lets see how he deals with it :D

In this case he DNS.

Rodriguez or Valverde. Hoping for Rolland.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re:

CNF7o5HWwAATWl_.jpg

CNF7o5XWUAA_VJi.jpg

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Break: Przemyslaw Niemiec (Lampre-Merida), Davide Villella (Cannondale-Garmin), Walter Pedraza (Team Colombia), Bert Jan Lindeman (LottoNL-Jumbo), José Gonçalves (Caja Rural-Seguros RGA) and Matteo Montaguti (Ag2r-La Mondiale)

Gap 3:40

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Eagle said:
Break: Przemyslaw Niemiec (Lampre-Merida), Davide Villella (Cannondale-Garmin), Walter Pedraza (Team Colombia), Bert Jan Lindeman (LottoNL-Jumbo), José Gonçalves (Caja Rural-Seguros RGA) and Matteo Montaguti (Ag2r-La Mondiale)

Gap 3:40
2 years ago I wuld have thought that by now Villella wouuld be one of the favourites for such a stage. I hope that Pelucchi hasn't crasshed too hard.

TRENDING THREADS