• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2015 Vuelta Stage 7: Jódar>La Alpujarra (191.1k)

01Bei9r.jpg

usWCcuz.png

0ejWvFb.jpg

2HqpbOk.png

First important stage finally arrived.Froome's time to shine.Hoping for a long range attack to force everybody to come out and play,no more hiding.

Re:

sir fly said:
In accordance with good old phrase - we'll see who won't win the race.
Too early for long distance heroism. It's going to be tempo almost to the top. It's just that type of a climb at that point in the race.

I like that!

I believe the triathlon version is "you can't win the race in the water, but you can lose it".

Re: Re:

Son of Amsterhammer said:
sir fly said:
In accordance with good old phrase - we'll see who won't win the race.
Too early for long distance heroism. It's going to be tempo almost to the top. It's just that type of a climb at that point in the race.

I like that!

I believe the triathlon version is "you can't win the race in the water, but you can lose it".
That's the equivalent, yes.

DBotero said:
First important stage finally arrived.Froome's time to shine.Hoping for a long range attack to force everybody to come out and play,no more hiding.

What makes you think that a GC favorite would launch a long range attack in this stage? That would make no sense what so ever.

This stage will definitely mark some differences though. I think one or more of the favorites will start to unravel here. I'm a little afraid for Nairo; that failed attack the other day left me thinking that he hasn't recovered from the Tour and that he might struggle against Froome and Alejandro. I hope I'm wrong though. If in shape, he and Froome could gain some valuable time on the others.

AlexNYC said:
DBotero said:

What makes you think that a GC favorite would launch a long range attack in this stage? That would make no sense what so ever.

This stage will definitely mark some differences though. I think one or more of the favorites will start to unravel here. I'm a little afraid for Nairo; that failed attack the other day left me thinking that he hasn't recovered from the Tour and that he might struggle against Froome and Alejandro. I hope I'm wrong though. If in shape, he and Froome could gain some valuable time on the others.

Agree they should wait for Madrid.Seems like a better option.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I think Froome and Landa will get time on the others. Quintana waits for Valverde and limit the time losses, together with Purito, Aru and Pozzo.

The 8% section with about 7k's to go is perfect for an in form Froome, but I doubt he's anywhere near that level, I get the impression he is just easing his way in and hoping for better legs later in the race. Have a sneaky feeling Pozzovivo could win tomorrow.

Re:

Pricey_sky said:
The 8% section with about 7k's to go is perfect for an in form Froome, but I doubt he's anywhere near that level, I get the impression he is just easing his way in and hoping for better legs later in the race. Have a sneaky feeling Pozzovivo could win tomorrow.

100% agree. What he does will speak volumes to his form.

Re:

Red Rick said:
Maybe Landa or someone like him will do something. Froome and Quintana are praying for their Tour from to show up, Valverde and Purito are too busy watching each other and holding hands.

Maybe Dumoulin will attack?

Dumoulin would be crazy to attack tomorrow. Should just time trial his way up at his own pace to limit his losses if Giant are actually planning on trying to get top 5/10 GC with him

Re:

A stage more or less tailormade for Dawg but has he the form? That lone climb could like the first day in July come as an umpleasant surprise for a lot, and add to that a temperature some 5-10 degrees warmer. The finish doesnt offer any steepness but then again the stage wont be decided there. Perfect if you ride tempo like Froome.

There are a whole lot of questionmarks hanging around with the expection of Valverde who could have red tomorrow. How is Nairo? Aru? Landa? The latter have looked exceptional weak and id would be surprised if the likes of Aru shines tomorrow.

Re:

Pricey_sky said:

I think the opposite personally.

He'll be looking to gain time tomorrow I reckon, knowing that the fatigue from the Tour is only going to get worse.

A lot of questions will be answered tomorrow:

Is Froome up for it?
Who is the leader for Movistar?
Is Aru capable of matching the big names when they're fairly handicapped?
Are Dumoulin and Chaves genuine threats to GC?

Re: Re:

PremierAndrew said:
Red Rick said:
Maybe Landa or someone like him will do something. Froome and Quintana are praying for their Tour from to show up, Valverde and Purito are too busy watching each other and holding hands.

Maybe Dumoulin will attack?

Dumoulin would be crazy to attack tomorrow. Should just time trial his way up at his own pace to limit his losses if Giant are actually planning on trying to get top 5/10 GC with him

Meh, I think he might try if Chavez struggles, he doesn't care about 7th place in the GC, he'd rather take the jersey or instead he might lose 15 minutes