• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Österreich Rundfahrt (2-9 july)

The worst designed race of the world is back, just this time with only 8 stages and in the 2.1 category

oe-tour-karte-2016_mitlogo.png

prolgue: Kitzbüheler Horn (700m)
00_prolog.jpg

Probably the strangest prologue I've ever seen. Not even one kilometer long but over 11% steep and the strangest thing is that this is actually a long climb, but the start of the stage is almost at the top. That's like making a MTT on the Zoncolan but starting after the tunnel. Due the the short length there also won't be any important time gaps, so we can assume, this stage only exists because Kitzbühel payed for it but the organizers noticed that 5 uphill finishes would just be too ridiculous.

stage 1: Innsbruck - Salzburg (186.2 km)
1_etappe.jpg

Stage 1 connects the host town of the WC 2018 with the host town of the WC 2006 and it is located in the middle of the Austrian alps and is therefore the first real...sprint stage? Well I guess it makes sense considering how many mountain stages are still to come, but generally making such a flat stage in this area is really sad. As you can see on the map, the riders leave Austria for a few kilometers before Salzburg, and ride through the "Deutsches Eck" (which translated means German corner). Maybe the bumps you can see on the profile are even hard enough to prevent a bunch sprint, but it's difficult to say how hard they really are.

stage 2: Mondsee - Steyr (205.5 km)
2_etappe.jpg

The next boring day and although there are of course still many climbs they could have put into this stage it at least makes a little bit more sense here. There is a 2nd category climb near the start of the stage but besides that nothing really worth mentioning besides the fact that this region will at least cause some beautiful camera pics.

stage 3: Ardagger - Sonntagberg (181.1 km)
3_etappe.jpg

The first medium mountain stage might already be the crucial one. There are still way more difficult climbs on the following days but the Sonntagberg is not an easy 3rd category climb and whoever is the best there has a high chance to also be the best on the remaining climbs of the tour. For example in 2014 Peter Kennaugh got the lead of the race on the first day due to a stage win here and then went on to win the whole race. The climb is 3.1 kilometers long and over 10% steep and the last few hundred meters are on cobbles. This should cause the first serious time gaps between the favorites and a very interesting finish.

stage 4: Rottenmann - Edelweißspitze (182.2 km)
4_etappe.jpg

After the first mtf on stage 3, stage 4 is definitely the queen stage of the Österreichrundfahrt this year. After the start in Rottenmann the majority of the stage is hilly and there isn't a lot of flat, though the only two categorized climbs in the middle of the stage will be Ramsau and Embach, both 3rd category. However the really interesting part starts a little bit later only about 20 kilometers before the finish, where the road starts to really go uphill. The following climb, the "Edelweißspitze", is harder than any climb used in a gt this year, and a climb which has partly never been used in a cycling race before. The majority of this ascent is simply the Großglockner Hochalpenstraße, a climb which gets used in the Österreich Rundfahrt almost always and has also already been used in the Giro. But where the normal climb is almost over, this year the riders have to drive on into a 1.5 kilometer long and over 10% steep, cobbled one way street up to the Edelweißspitze. This is just absolutely brutal and you can hardly find any more difficult mtf's in the whole history of gt's, because also don't forget, this is on an extremely high altitude, which will make everything even more difficult. And besides the difficulty, this climb is very scenic too.

stage 5: Millstatt - Dobratsch (147.3 km)
5_etappe.jpg

The hardest day of the race is over, but the next one will still be very difficult, because of another mtf, this time on the Dobratsch. Don't let you confuse by the categorization, this is surely no 1st category climb, the Dobratsch is without any doubt HC, with 16.8 km at 7%. If the leader of the race doesn't have a huge advantage on the 2nd place after the Großglockner anyway, there is still a lot that could happen hear. Unfortunately nothing on earlier climbs since this is a one climb stage, but the Dobratsch is still long enough to put pressure on the leader if you attack early. However after this stage the gc will probably be decided. There is still one option to take time, but not a lot, so except if the gap between 1st and 2nd isn't bigger than 20 or maybe 30 seconds we will most likely know the winner of the race after this stage.

stage 6: Graz - Stegersbach (203.9 km)
6_etappe.jpg

The high mountains are over, but the riders can still fight for stage wins and therefore this could still be an interesting day. There are two categorized climbs, not too far away from the finish, and especially the first one has an altitude difference of almost 500 meters and is therefore quite difficult. It will be hard for the sprinters to win here, so the break should have a good chance.

stage 7: Bad Tatzmannsdorf - Wien/Kahlenberg (179.8 km)
7_etappe.jpg

The last stage of the Österreich Rundfahrt finishes in the capital of the country, but not in the centre of the city, but on one of the hills around it, the Kahlenberg. Although this ascent is't categorized on the profile, it definitely deserves to be, since it has more than 250 of altitude difference and even more important, this climb is cobbled. The cobbles are in a very good condition, but they will make it a little bit more difficult and a very interesting finish. Hard to say if a good classics rider or a real climber will win here, but it should be a big fight. Unfortunately the organizers decided not to use any of the 5000 other climbs in this area to give riders a chance to attack from a little bit further out and make this last stage interesting. Oh well. The winner of both the stage will then be honored with a ceremony with hopefully some beautiful camera picks of the winner with the big city Vienna in the background, since you won't find a better view on the capital than from the Kahlenberg.

The Teams

source: http://www.oesterreich-rundfahrt.at

And finally the best news of the race, it will be completely broadcasted live, but only in Austria. Nevertheless I hope that there will be some streams for the race available so you can all watch it live, since there is no other interesting race going on at the same time anyway :rolleyes:

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
LOL, I just thought about startig a thread :D, good job Gigs!
Totally unbalanced, scrap the Dobratsch sstage and throw in a 25km ITT before the final stage and it would be decent. Still, it's great to see the Edelweißspitze in an actual race.
Let's talk a bit about the Favourites, it's hard to look pas CCC, Hirt and De La Parte are really strong and could smash the field on the Edelweißspitze. Delio Fernandez seems to be riding into shape, Pirazzi should be able to do something, you should never underestimate Adria Mobil (Rogina, Papi Golcer and maybe even young Domen Novak could do something) and maybe Team Vorarlberg's Sérgio Sousa could follow De La Parte's footsteps (7th in the Volta and then winning the Österreich-Rundfahrt). Gazprom is bringing a few interesting young riders, Shalunov and Rybalkin could do something.
Kämna will ride his first longer stage race as a pro, so it will be interesting to watch.
PS: You have to tell me more about all the climbs around Vienna, I'll be moving to Vienna (Döbling) in a few months, so I need new training climbs. :D

Oh, so this is just 2.1 now. That explains why most of the big teams disappeared. Did they know from the beginning this would be downgraded this year? Because those two big climbs seem to be a bit too much for a 2.1 race and field.

Agree that CCC is the strongest on paper. And Weening finds himself among pre-race favourites for the GC after how long? Wonder if he tries his usual breakaways (will he be allowed by other teams?), or will just ride with other GC favourites.

Yeah, it really is a pity that Astana is the only WT team. But generally it's really the organizers fault that this race gets less attractive for any teams. The route is always super hard and not really made for preparation, while small teams and weaker riders will have problems on monsters like the Edelweißspitze. Besides that there are hardly any stages for breaks, since all the flat stages could go to sprinters and all the uphill finishes to pure climbers, so although there are 8 stages there are only a few types of riders who can be successful. At least a flat TT would be good, probably instead of the Dobratsch stage. And if I would design the route, I would then make a hilly last stage over more climbs in the Wienerwald which finishes in the center of the city. I think that would make the stage more interesting and 2 uphill finishes are more than enough in a 2.1 race anyway.

I don't understand why more teams don't go, it could also be due to Pologne being moved to mid July and the WT teams will bring their strongest climbers who didn't get selected for TdF there instead. Imagine Lopez on this parcours.... would be savage.

Probably tuning in to Edelweisspitze, its what, 10% over 13,5 km - discounting the first 5 kilometres of the climb... What a beast. Seems harder than Rettenbachferner and Mortirolo honestly. Any live feed?

Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
It's a shame Javier Guillén took over this race.
To be fair the Österreich Rundfahrt was always like this. The only exception was usually the Großglockner stage but because the only really hard climb was always so far away from the finish that stage usually also was rather boring (with the exception of 2012 with fuglsangs 100 km attack, which was absolutely epic and one of the best races I have ever seen)

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
I don't understand why more teams don't go, it could also be due to Pologne being moved to mid July and the WT teams will bring their strongest climbers who didn't get selected for TdF there instead. Imagine Lopez on this parcours.... would be savage.

Probably tuning in to Edelweisspitze, its what, 10% over 13,5 km - discounting the first 5 kilometres of the climb... What a beast. Seems harder than Rettenbachferner and Mortirolo honestly. Any live feed?

That's pretty much the reason why the field is weaker this year, still should be interesting watching these guys battle it out even if the parcours leave a bit to be desired.
Oh and I'm pretty sure the race is televised

Re:

Mayomaniac said:
LOL, I just thought about startig a thread :D, good job Gigs!

PS: You have to tell me more about all the climbs around Vienna, I'll be moving to Vienna (Döbling) in a few months, so I need new training climbs. :D

you will have a field day as Döbling itself is already basically nested in the hills, perfect starting ramp for a nice romp through the hilly Wienerwald.

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
Re:

StryderHells said:
Will be curious to see how Brendan Canty of Drapac goes in this race, the race is light on for quality climbers and this guy is on the rise and I know he's spent the last 3-4 weeks training in Boulder.
Haha thats exactly what i also thought! Looking forward to it.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:

The Tour of Poland is shaping up to be a hot race in 2016 - It will be hard to finish on the podium.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
I don't understand why more teams don't go, it could also be due to Pologne being moved to mid July and the WT teams will bring their strongest climbers who didn't get selected for TdF there instead. Imagine Lopez on this parcours.... would be savage

Because tour of sibiu is much better, no contest.

I don't have anything smart or insightful to write here but i must bow to heir highness for using Edelweis. I'm not sure what is this prologue thingie. I guess it can be categorised as a novelty act. I hope this novelty won't wear off soon as i don't see any purpose of it besides shock value.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re:

CheckMyPecs said:
And another race jumps on the mountain prologue bandwagon.
Which is very good solution to be fair.

You can have either this or stupid design like this years Tour de France where there is number of stages flat...worst case scenario leading to crashes and number of favourites out usually. Don't get it. So famous race yet so stupid.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

Kokoso said:
CheckMyPecs said:
And another race jumps on the mountain prologue bandwagon.
Which is very good solution to be fair.

You can have either this or stupid design like this years Tour de France where there is number of stages flat...worst case scenario leading to crashes and number of favourites out usually. Don't get it. So famous race yet so stupid.
The mountain prologue isn't the problem, Kitzbühl is one of the few places that is willing to pay a decent amount of money to host a stage finish every year, but having 4 uphill finishes and no ITT is one, it looks like the whole race was designed by Unipublic.

TRENDING THREADS