• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Aussie Road & ITT Nationals

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
Why didn't Hepburn or Edmondson go with Bobridge when he attacked? OGE had numbers and should have been in every move. If they didn't have the legs to go with the attack, then that's fair enough, but if they did, then OGE *** up pretty bad.

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Sasquatch said:
Why didn't Hepburn or Edmondson go with Bobridge when he attacked? OGE had numbers and should have been in every move. If they didn't have the legs to go with the attack, then that's fair enough, but if they did, then OGE **** up pretty bad.

Because they initially went in the break to put pressure on BMC (Porte and Dennis). Hepburn had been warming up on the climb for 45 minutes before the start so it was obvious that he was designated for the break. When Bobridge went it was confusion for Greenedge. Docker half dropped back and then got on the case again, but the reality was that they stuffed things up. The other teams kind of worked together against Greenedge.

Bobridge was super strong. I did not think he could hold on for the last 4 laps but he was very impressive. It was a once in a lifetime type ride.

Bobridge is a very unpredicable rider hence him being in and out of the WT - Actually OGE ran one two seeing Bobridge and Meyer are ex OGE riders - Jay McCarthy is the rider who interests me - A decent all-round rider who is a good climber - Wanted OGE to get him in 2016 to support their GC guys - He should be a priority for 2017.

Re:

yaco said:
Bobridge is a very unpredicable rider hence him being in and out of the WT - Actually OGE ran one two seeing Bobridge and Meyer are ex OGE riders - Jay McCarthy is the rider who interests me - A decent all-round rider who is a good climber - Wanted OGE to get him in 2016 to support their GC guys - He should be a priority for 2017.

Bobridge, when it comes to road racing, is a rider who is either brilliant or bloody awful with the latter generally predominant; especially with his health issues. However, when he's "on" one of his (less than a handful of) good days per year then he's a very formidable proposition. Today was more than just one of them; one suspects this is THE ride of his life.

OGE mucked up by not putting one of their more fancied riders in the early break along with Hepburn but Drapac was anonymous apart from Sulzberger & Roe's early efforts. TdU will be more of a gauge as to whether Gerrans is still highly competitive or showing signs of decline. Ewan "cracking" was no surprise; he's likely to be "off the back" more often than not when it comes to any real major races. OGE will most likely re-sign him at the end of the season ....... fools if they do but it's Gerry Ryan's money not mine ! Haig will not race TdU but will race Sun Tour & Cuddles; will be interesting to follow his season in Europe.

Re:

Sasquatch said:
Why didn't Hepburn or Edmondson go with Bobridge when he attacked? OGE had numbers and should have been in every move. If they didn't have the legs to go with the attack, then that's fair enough, but if they did, then OGE **** up pretty bad.
It was stinking hot and Bobridge has always been very good in the heat. If you saw the riders today they were caked in salt by 100km in. OGE and especially Drapac underestimated Bobridge today. When Bobridge simply rode Bernie Sulzberger and the others off his wheel they should have started the chase. Instead everyone was happy to leave it to OGE.

Gerrans support wasn't fresh, Haig, Ewan, Durbridge, Docker and Edmondson had all raced hard in the Bay Crits/Nats Crit and it showed. Haig, Howson, Durbridge and Hepburn together couldn't pull back time on Bobridge by himself today and nobody even raised a finger to help. Drapac had the numbers, so did Avanti but no one came through and risked their place until Dennis and Meyer finally decided enough was enough.

Hopefully Trek send Bobridge to the Vuelta this year as he's always been good in the heat, he proves it every single Aus summer. JV wasted his ability sending him to the Giro only to lock up on the high mountain stages in the cold.

Jack Bobridge rode with a 2015 Trek-jersey, without the Segafredo logo, but on a lot of pictures (on Trek-Segafredo Twitter, Cyclingnews, ...) he is captured with the Segafredo-logo on his chest. Strange and amateurish.

Highlights, where you can see his jersey: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nCXXBCow5g

And on these pictures he has the Segafredo logo on him.

CYWMV88VAAA5aVZ.jpg

jack_1_670.jpg

Re:

yaco said:
McCarthy is a very underrated rider. Another year or two and he'll start getting a chance to ride for himself in Ardennes style races.

Re: Re:

42x16ss said:
Sasquatch said:
It was stinking hot and Bobridge has always been very good in the heat. If you saw the riders today they were caked in salt by 100km in. OGE and especially Drapac underestimated Bobridge today. When Bobridge simply rode Bernie Sulzberger and the others off his wheel they should have started the chase. Instead everyone was happy to leave it to OGE.

Gerrans support wasn't fresh, Haig, Ewan, Durbridge, Docker and Edmondson had all raced hard in the Bay Crits/Nats Crit and it showed. Haig, Howson, Durbridge and Hepburn together couldn't pull back time on Bobridge by himself today and nobody even raised a finger to help. Drapac had the numbers, so did Avanti but no one came through and risked their place until Dennis and Meyer finally decided enough was enough.

Hopefully Trek send Bobridge to the Vuelta this year as he's always been good in the heat, he proves it every single Aus summer. JV wasted his ability sending him to the Giro only to lock up on the high mountain stages in the cold.

Just one problem with your last scenario. The Vuelta starts just after the finish of the Olympics and, given his commitment to the AUS men's teams pursuit on the track, he's just not going to have the race miles in his legs for it to be anywhere near viable. Any other year then I'd certainly give your scenario some legitimate credence.

dirkprovin said:
42x16ss said:
Sasquatch said:

Just one problem with your last scenario. The Vuelta starts just after the finish of the Olympics and, given his commitment to the AUS men's teams pursuit on the track, he's just not going to have the race miles in his legs for it to be anywhere near viable. Any other year then I'd certainly give your scenario some legitimate credence.
Argh, true. Make it next year :D

dirkprovin said:
yaco said:

Bobridge, when it comes to road racing, is a rider who is either brilliant or bloody awful with the latter generally predominant; especially with his health issues. However, when he's "on" one of his (less than a handful of) good days per year then he's a very formidable proposition. Today was more than just one of them; one suspects this is THE ride of his life.

OGE mucked up by not putting one of their more fancied riders in the early break along with Hepburn but Drapac was anonymous apart from Sulzberger & Roe's early efforts. TdU will be more of a gauge as to whether Gerrans is still highly competitive or showing signs of decline. Ewan "cracking" was no surprise; he's likely to be "off the back" more often than not when it comes to any real major races. OGE will most likely re-sign him at the end of the season ....... fools if they do but it's Gerry Ryan's money not mine ! Haig will not race TdU but will race Sun Tour & Cuddles; will be interesting to follow his season in Europe.

I suspect that OGE is on a slow burn in 2016 - Gee they only nominated one rider in the ITT - Gerrans declining - Too early to say - Ewan is a winner and will be resigned - Its disappointing that Mezgec is not riding the TDU so he can start gelling with the sprint train at OGE - Ewan is slated to ride the Giro - Doubt he will finish but should have three or four opportunities in the first half of the race - OGE will still be competitive in the TDU and will target stage wins with Ewan and Gerrans. Haig and Edmondson have been impressive - Want to see Haig on some hilly terrain and Edmondson will have limited availability because of the Olympics - Magnus Cort is the one who can make big steps in 2016 and 2017 - Looks a talented one day racer and possibly a classics rider.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Congrats to Bobridge!
They really should send him to races like the 4th gt or the Vuelta, he's really good in the heat.
This year track in Rio will be his main focus, but if they send him to the right races he could still be a petty decent rider.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Congratulations to Bobridge, these NC races can be really special when almost the entire field abandons. When Trek signed him I thought it was just another bad decision by Guercilena but Bobridge already paid back the confidence. Now he can sit back and do nothing all year :D

dirkprovin said:
yaco said:

Ewan cracking on the nats course is not at all unexpected. It is not a sprinter friendly course on the best of days and in that heat I would have been suprised if he did make it. Even proven great sprinters like Robbie McEwan have said they can never win on that course.
Of course they will resign him, he is a grand tour sprint winner as a neo-pro, where he outsprinted Sagan and Big John. They would be fools not to resign him.

Alex Simmons/RST said:
Tigerion said:
Ewan cracking on the nats course is not at all unexpected. It is not a sprinter friendly course on the best of days and in that heat I would have been suprised if he did make it. Even proven great sprinters like Robbie McEwan have said they can never win on that course.
Ewan was second to Haussler last year.
All the Orica guys who rode the Bay Crits seemed a bit flat - Ewan, Haig, Durbridge, Edmondson and Docker. I think controlling 4 fast races in the heat in 4 days, followed by their efforts in the Crit champs left them a bit flat for this time of the year.

Alex Simmons/RST said:
Tigerion said:

A very different race last year. Arguably hotter this year and raced very differently. Once Dennis & Porte decided to ride the hill hard, its "cya later Caleb".

[quote="42x16ss[/urlAll the Orica guys who rode the Bay Crits seemed a bit flat - Ewan, Haig, Durbridge, Edmondson and Docker. I think controlling 4 fast races in the heat in 4 days, followed by their efforts in the Crit champs left them a bit flat for this time of the year.[/quote]

Think that's very much the case. Maybe a rethink needed in future. Whilst showing the flag & "bossing" Nationals probably far less a pressing need for OGE these days, why waste energy on the least meaningful race at Nats and maybe switch around manpower more at Bay Crits ?

Tigerion said:
dirkprovin said:
yaco said:

Of course they will resign him, he is a grand tour sprint winner as a neo-pro, where he outsprinted Sagan and Big John. They would be fools not to resign him.
OGRE would be utter morons not to resign Ewan while he's still cheap. ATM it looks like him and Gaviria are going to be the next top line sprinters. They're already matching the big boys for top end speed, Gaviria especially.

dirkprovin said:
Alex Simmons/RST said:
Tigerion said:

A very different race last year. Arguably hotter this year and raced very differently. Once Dennis & Porte decided to ride the hill hard, its "cya later Caleb".
It's different every year and since it's been done it's not impossible as suggested.

TRENDING THREADS