• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Giro d'Italia - Stage 11 Modena - Asolo 227 km

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Maaaaaaaarten said:
Well, he got 13 seconds and 4 boni seconds I think? Why on earth are you people criticizing somebody who's trying to ride a good GC for attacking and taking 17 seconds?! Look, if tomorrow was a big stage, then sure, he could've relaxed to save some energy for tomorrow, but tomorrow is a pan flat stage without any chance of action. Why not attack and get a few seconds?

For real, he'll have a chance to recover tomorrow

It was a great attack today and he probably has very little hope of holding on in the high mountains regardless of whether he put in this dig today or not. Celebrate some aggression and risk for once rather than bemoaning the energy spent.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

yespatterns said:
Good rides by most, Bob is going to need those seconds when the road turns up.

It's just entertaining ride. Those seconds will mean nothing to him, he'll need a lot, lot more. After stage 13 he'll probably not be in pink anymore

Re

Maaaaaaaarten said:
Well, he got 13 seconds and 4 boni seconds I think? Why on earth are you people criticizing somebody who's trying to ride a good GC for attacking and taking 17 seconds?! Look, if tomorrow was a big stage, then sure, he could've relaxed to save some energy for tomorrow, but tomorrow is a pan flat stage without any chance of action. Why not attack and get a few seconds?

Huge +1. Im wondering what is wrong with people criticizing his move. He counter attacked Amador and pushed hard to try to gain some time and probably a stage win. I mean that was great to watch. Seeing a maglia rosa riding like this is always such a pleasure. Every second is worth in a GT, eventho he is going to eventually lose the jersey in the following days.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I think Nibali was quite strong. He did a splendid move on the descent.

But Valverde again rode a bit cowardly. I don't understand that guy. On Alpe di Poti he was super agressive, but today, in a situation where he had 95% chance to win the stage, he decides to let Nibali do all the work.

Jungels increased his lead by 17seconds in a giro where the gaps are quite small for now, tomorrows an easy stage, picked up some extra points, cash and exposure and he made it a very interesting stage.

He's probably going to lose the jersey eventually but he might've bought himself an extra day in pink by doing this.

Re: Re

Krokro said:
Maaaaaaaarten said:

Huge +1. Im wondering what is wrong with people criticizing his move. He counter attacked Amador and pushed hard to try to gain some time and probably a stage win. I mean that was great to watch. Seeing a maglia rosa riding like this is always such a pleasure. Every second is worth in a GT, eventho he is going to eventually lose the jersey in the following days.

I can understand the moanings if it was Nibali or other big favorite in Jungels' position, but for a non favorite in pink to ride like is nothing short of remarkable and enjoyable, not to mention understandable.

Although every argument will sound strange if Jungels turn out to be strong enough to hold in for some more in the mountain....these days who knows.

gunara said:
Krokro said:
Maaaaaaaarten said:

I can understand the moanings if it was Nibali or other big favorite in Jungels' position, but for a non favorite in pink to ride like is nothing short of remarkable and enjoyable, not to mention understandable.

Although every argument will sound strange if Jungels turn out to be strong enough to hold in for some more in the mountain....these days who knows.

I found his way of finishing this stage really enjoyable imo. But as you said, he probably knows that he won't keep it in a few days. He just shows the jersey and how strong he can be in that sort of terrain. Did he spend extra energy ? Probably. But Tomorrow should be pan flat. We will see what he can deliver on stage 13.

Re:

Arredondo said:

But Valverde again rode a bit cowardly. I don't understand that guy. On Alpe di Poti he was super agressive, but today, in a situation where he had 95% chance to win the stage, he decides to let Nibali do all the work.

The dimension where Valverde's mind wanders is not dominated by the rules of logic.

Some artists have tried to illustrate how his curse of thought works...

1338692129m_SPLASH.jpg

ascending_and_descending.jpg

1944-encounter.jpg

...before becoming insane themselves.

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
It's simple, people like to fault riders, whether it's because they do or do not attack isn't the matter. They just never want to pass an opportunity to criticize one's tactics, as they think the act of criticizing a rider makes them look smart and knowledgeable while in fact it just betrays their ignorance.

I think Jungles did everything right. He's young, he knows he's probably not going to be able to keep the jersey. What better way to cement your career than by attacking and succeeding at it while wearing the jersey? This way people will remember him; what exactly could he have gained, long-term, by remaining in the group?

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Once more, and saddly so, what was needed to start this great finale was a big bad crash turning many teams upside town, isolating Nibali completely and making all other teams ride like the devil until the hill in fear of another crash / for positionning. The result ? hardly any domestique left in a condition to really reel in an attack and leaders having a go, hesitating, attacking, probing...

This is the type of racing you get when the leaders are by themselves 20ks from the finish instead of having a Kangert/Scarponi/Fuglsang rocket keeping the tempo or the Sky / Movistar / Saxo equivalent you see in different races.

The end of this stage reminded me what the end of the Ardennes classics use to look like until the early 2000s...

Re: Re:

KyoGrey said:
Arredondo said:

The dimension where Valverde's mind wanders is not dominated by the rules of logic.

Some artists have tried to illustrate how his curse of thought works...

1338692129m_SPLASH.jpg

ascending_and_descending.jpg

1944-encounter.jpg

...before becoming insane themselves.
Agree. Being a Valverde fan is the most of the times difficult.

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site

Krokro said:
gunara said:
Krokro said:
Maaaaaaaarten said:

I found his way of finishing this stage really enjoyable imo. But as you said, he probably knows that he won't keep it in a few days. He just shows the jersey and how strong he can be in that sort of terrain. Did he spend extra energy ? Probably. But Tomorrow should be pan flat. We will see what he can deliver on stage 13.

Come on guys, haven't you heard of honoring the jersey ? Jungels rode like a champ, a gutsy young champ and many followers will have fallen a bit in love with him today for it. This is what cycling is, let the accountants enjoy playing with numbers.

Re:

DominicDecoco said:
Not easy to be a bike rider. If they don't, they are boring - if they do, it is pointless..

Flat stage tomorrow, despite burning some energy today, they'll be fine.
+1.

I don't criticize them when they don't attack all the time. For reasons like today. I thought it was wasted energy that he'll need later. But it is entertaining and I like it. But if he had not attacked I would have been ok also but the forum would have gone "what a boring stage", "no attacks", "I prefer my videogame better".

TRENDING THREADS