• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Giro d'Italia - Stage 11 Modena - Asolo 227 km

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re

Krokro said:
Maaaaaaaarten said:
Well, he got 13 seconds and 4 boni seconds I think? Why on earth are you people criticizing somebody who's trying to ride a good GC for attacking and taking 17 seconds?! Look, if tomorrow was a big stage, then sure, he could've relaxed to save some energy for tomorrow, but tomorrow is a pan flat stage without any chance of action. Why not attack and get a few seconds?

Huge +1. Im wondering what is wrong with people criticizing his move. He counter attacked Amador and pushed hard to try to gain some time and probably a stage win. I mean that was great to watch. Seeing a maglia rosa riding like this is always such a pleasure. Every second is worth in a GT, eventho he is going to eventually lose the jersey in the following days.

this. seriously don't understand the criticism to Jungels' ride. I like the guy.

And as said by some others above, he does remind me as well to Dumoulin-Vuelta 2015. Okay the 'real' mountains are not there yet, but we're halfway and he's quite comfortably in the lead.

I fully understand some criticism.

gutsy ride? yes.
Enjoyable? yes.

Creating more potential to keep the jersey? No. He didn't expand his lead on Amador.
Trying everything to win the stage? No. But I feel there weren't a lot of tactical faults. The move would be dead without Jungels pulling. In a way, it seemed like he was a perfect team mate for Ulissi. I wonder how much money Ulissi will give.

(disclaimer: I enjoyed the racing, I enjoyed every bit of the attack of Jungels! And what is potentially lost (the jersey, the stage,...) doesn't matter too much. Jungels' Giro is already a success)

Re: Re:

Kwibus said:
DominicDecoco said:
Not easy to be a bike rider. If they don't, they are boring - if they do, it is pointless..

Flat stage tomorrow, despite burning some energy today, they'll be fine.

Indeed. I was just reading through the thread and I'm just shocked by the negativity.
We get a lot of action on a stage where we didn't expect it and then people start moaning that riders are wasting their energy....
Jungels showing his pink jersey off which was great to see. Nice work by him. Ulissi with a strong effort to win the stage. Some nice GC action.

Sure...was it smart? Maybe not.
Was it wasting energy? Most likely.
Do I care? No.
Did we get entertained? Yes
Do I care about getting entertained when watching a bike race? Hell yeah.

Completely agree. I'm having great fun watching this Giro and I don't understand the complaints.

I think it was a great stage. I didn't expect that GC riders would fight each other, but we got that in the end. The top3 was really deserved for all three riders. Jungels has really been great. I'm starting to like him and the same could be said for Amador. Congrats also to Ulissi for another great victory.

Jul 6, 2015
Visit site

afpm90 said:
Kwibus said:
DominicDecoco said:
Not easy to be a bike rider. If they don't, they are boring - if they do, it is pointless..

Completely agree. I'm having great fun watching this Giro and I don't understand the complaints.

Because it's the internet in general and CN forums in particular. Snobishly complaining about how bike races and bike racers don't meet their "real cycling fan" standards is just what they do.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

Carstenbf said:
Cance > TheRest said:
Why isn't Trek pulling??? Nizzolo is the group for goodness sake
+1000

Goddammit Hesj! Nizzolo had that in the bag. (or so I thought)

(ok, granted I'm only complaining for my fantasy team with Nizz+Colbrelli. Great ride from Jungels)

This is the story of Nizzolo's career. 90% of the time he is beaten by a superior sprinter like Greipel, Kittel and so forth. But 10% of the time he could win if he only had a little bit of support from his team. They put on a train of 5 guys when they know they're gonna get beaten by Kittel anyways, but when they could actually win they are nowhere to be seen.

Kwibus said:
DominicDecoco said:

Flat stage tomorrow, despite burning some energy today, they'll be fine.

Indeed. I was just reading through the thread and I'm just shocked by the negativity.
We get a lot of action on a stage where we didn't expect it and then people start moaning that riders are wasting their energy....
Jungels showing his pink jersey off which was great to see. Nice work by him. Ulissi with a strong effort to win the stage. Some nice GC action.

Sure...was it smart? Maybe not.
Was it wasting energy? Most likely.
Do I care? No.
Did we get entertained? Yes
Do I care about getting entertained when watching a bike race? Hell yeah.

I expected there to be attacks, not by Jungels, but attacks, so the amount of action was not a great surprise. I agree with your summary at the end. It was an entertaining, brave attack that unfortunately ended up with a lot of energy expended for little return. He will recover to a certain extent on the flat stage.

TRENDING THREADS