• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Giro d'Italia - Stage 14: Farra d'Alpago–Corvara 210 km

The queen stage. More GC action than today, I hope.

Eshnar said:
STAGE 14: Farra d'Alpago – Corvara in Alta Badia 210 km

Stage start: 11.05 CET, 21 May

PW_T14_Corvara_alt-2.jpg

bSHXxGu.jpg

Technical Overview:
The Queen stage! Yes, the queen stage. Despite not having such a threatening profile as stage 20 has, and despite being squeezed in the middle of a 3-days mountain raid, this 210 km long stage is definitely the hardest of the whole race, with its respectable length and 6 categorized climbs, for a total of ~4800m altitude gain.
Starting from the town of Farra d'Alpago, the peloton will head towards the Dolomites, gaining altitude slowly but surely, to reach the town of Caprile. Here, the ramps will start to be irregular, with pretty steep slopes alternating with flat section. After climbing roughly 1200m, from the 400m of Farra to the 1600 of the town of Arabba, the proper stage starts. The peloton enters the route of the famous “Maratona Dles Dolomites”, the famous Granfondo that is raced every year on these roads. We are on the Sella Ronda, a loop of 4 climbs. The first one is a classic of the Giro history: the Passo Pordoi (9.25 km at 6.9%, GPM1) from this side is a top category climb only if you consider all the climbing the peloton has already done to reach Arabba. Topping at over 2200m, after having incessantly climbed 1800m already, legs will feel heavy. After a short descent full of hairpins, the peloton turns north to climb the Passo Sella (5.55 km at 7.9%, GPM2), going over the 2200m level again, before heading downhill into the Gardena valley. Here the riders will turn east to climb the final few km of the Passo Gardena (5.75 km at 4.3%, GPM3), whose average gradient is lowered by a flat middle section. After a very technical descent, the peloton enters the Badia valley and reach the town of Corvara, where the finishing line is. There is still a long way to go though. From Corvara the riders will head south to the last climb of the Sella Ronda, the Passo Campolongo (6 km at 5.8%, GPM2), which with its 1875m of altitude is by far the lowest of the stage. A very short discent will close the loop, bringing everyone to Arabba again. Here the terrain becomes quite irregular, with a false flat section and a couple of little climbs, the latter being the Colle S.Lucia, famous for being the entering hallway of the mythical Passo Giau (9.85m at 9.4%, GPM1). Topping at 2236m above sea level and at 41 km to go, this is the key point of the stage. Its descent brings the riders to the last categorized climb of the day, the Passo Valparola (11.5 km at 5.8%, GPM2), that will behave as the standard “easy” climb after the much harder previous climb. A bit like the Mortirolo – Aprica combo, only at 2200m of altitude. The descent of the Valparola is quite technical at the beginning but becomes easier pretty soon. It finishes at 5 km to go, but the fun will not be over yet. In fact, those 5 km begin with a short wall called Muro del Gatto, 360m at 13.1% (19% max), and then continue with an ascending false flat all the way to Corvara.

PW_T14_Corvara_ukm-2.jpg

The Climbs:
4800m altitude gain (at least) makes this the hardest stage of the Giro climbing-wise. Two GPM1, three GPM2 and one GPM3, all in the heart of the Dolomites.

Passo Pordoi GPM1
This climb is part of the Giro history. Ridden 37 times in the Giro, it has been MTF 4 times, the first in 1990 (winner Charly Mottet), 1991 (Franco Chioccioli), 1996 (Enrico Zaina), and 2001 (Perez Cuapio). Due to its altitude, that makes it marginally higher than all its neighbors, it has also been Cima Coppi for an impressive number of 17 times.
PW_T14_S01_Pordoi.jpg

Passo Sella GPM2
Much less famous than its brother Pordoi, this pass has been ridden 13 times in the Giro, being Cima Coppi only twice, the last time in 1998, when Pantani won the price and got the jersey after the descent.
PW_T14_S02_Sella.jpg

Passo Gardena GPM3
Sharing pretty much the same Giro history as the Sella (many times being ridden the same stage as its neighbor), this freakishly long pass will not be ridden entirely... Its overall numbers from the very bottom are 31 km at 5.3%... unfortunately on this day the riders will have to face only the final 6 km or so.
PW_T14_S03_Gardena.jpg

Passo Campolongo GPM2
The last climb of the Sella Ronda, the Campolongo is much lower than all its neighbors.
PW_T14_S04_Campolongo.jpg

Passo Giau GPM1
One of the most famous Dolomite passes, the Giau has actually been ridden only 7 times in the Giro, the first in 1973, with Fuente being the first on the top. Its fame is very recent, being ridden 4 times between 2007 and 2012, and being planned but cancelled due to snow in 2013.
PW_T14_S05_Giau_alt.jpg

Passo Valparola GPM2
This climb has been ridden only 5 times in the Giro history, the last one in 2012. Worth remembering its 1992 appearance, featuring pretty much the same finale of this year, with Franco Vona getting the win and Indurain securing its pink jersey.
PW_T14_S06_Valparola-1.jpg

Muro del Gatto
Never raced in the Giro, this wall is a recent addition to the Maratona.
PW_T14_S07_MDGatto.jpg

What to expect:
This is tough to call. As I said, I consider this the queen stage, but will the riders do the same? Will they be scared of the MTT? Will they be spent after Cividale? Will any GC guy need a big time gain? We don't know yet.

passo.jpg

Queen stage my ass...
Movistar will set the pace till Giau when Astana will set a high pace with the likes of Kangert, Malacarne. Then, on Valparola, Scarponi will set the pace reducing the group to 8-10 riders. With 300m to go, Nibali will attack to make a difference on downhill. The only question is if Valverde and Chaves can follow Nibs acceleration or not.

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
GC dynamics has screwed Cortina and Pampeago in 2012. Wouldn't be surprised if this years' dynamic (plus the absence of Landa) screws this one as well.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Great stage but why why why did they have to put it in front of an MTT. It would be perfectly reasonable to start attacking on Giau if it weren't for the MTT the day after. I fear nothing will happen until the final climb. Maybe the difficult stage combined with the altitude will cause some tired legs which results in a greater chance of the attacks on the final climb actually causing some selection amongst the GC riders, unlike today.

Re:

Maaaaaaaarten said:
Great stage but why why why did they have to put it in front of an MTT. It would be perfectly reasonable to start attacking on Giau if it weren't for the MTT the day after. I fear nothing will happen until the final climb. Maybe the difficult stage combined with the altitude will cause some tired legs which results in a greater chance of the attacks on the final climb actually causing some selection amongst the GC riders, unlike today.
Yes, the stage should've followed the mtt instead of preceding it. But, who knows... The breakaway could provide the excitement. Someone could try to get back in the GC contention and it's always interesting to see who has the train, and who will struggle to follow.

Any info about live coverage? Where can we expect the earliest images?.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
This one I will really miss live :(

Can anybody post the earliest video link (longer than last 10k) tomorow to the particular thread asap, I want to avoid spoilers,thanks a lot!

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
For the record, after the Dauphine route got announced ,this stage automatically became the hardest stage of 2016.
With ~5200 m of altitude climbing, 6 categorized climbs, 50km of categorized climbing and an expected 6 and a half hours on the saddle.

Re: 2016 Giro d'Italia - Stage 14: Farra d'Alpago–Corvara 21

I doubt anything will happen. The giau is comparable to the cima porzus and the valparola is even flatter than the last climb today + the descent is easier so not such a good option to attack for riders like Nibali. Moreover there are still hardly any gc riders who really need time so everyone will wait for the MTT

Re: 2016 Giro d'Italia - Stage 14: Farra d'Alpago–Corvara 21

Gigs_98 said:
I doubt anything will happen. The giau is comparable to the cima porzus and the valparola is even flatter than the last climb today + the descent is easier so not such a good option to attack for riders like Nibali. Moreover there are still hardly any gc riders who really need time so everyone will wait for the MTT
That's exactly why there is hope for action in the Passo Giau. ;)

What will the weather be like?

In my head, I still see guys like Zakarin, Chaves, Kruiswijk and the 2015-2016 version of Nibali, as second tier guys, the kind of guys liable to just crack on a hard day.

I don't think there will be action, like riders diving off the front action, but I do imagine a GC shakeup just through attrition. Riders have been away from altitude for a long time by now. The climbing is relentless. The descents will be mentally taxing, starting half way through the stage.

I know that's what they said about the vuelta Stage 11, but this is 70k longer. All at altitude. With more climbing. And (marginally) later in the race.

This will appeal the fans who like to see their riders suffer, as opposed to the fans who like to see their riders shine.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
PW_T14_Corvara_alt-2.jpg

Nibali FTW
Chavez + 30"
Piti & Majka + 1'30"
Kruijswijk + 3min
Zakarin & Amador & Pozzovivo + 5min
Jungels & Uran + 10min
Hesjedal - either + 15min or going bannanas and winning the stage

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Jancouver said:
PW_T14_Corvara_alt-2.jpg

Nibali FTW
Chavez + 30"
Piti & Majka + 1'30"
Kruijswijk + 3min
Zakarin & Amador & Pozzovivo + 5min
Jungels & Uran + 10min
Hesjedal - either + 15min or going bannanas and winning the stage
That would be great.
@More Strides than Rides: I think so too, this should be a war of attrition at high altitude, those who already suffered today could loose minutes.

TRENDING THREADS