• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Giro d'Italia - Stage 14: Farra d'Alpago–Corvara 210 km

Page 33 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: 2016 Giro d'Italia - Stage 14: Farra d'Alpago–Corvara 21

Nice rant Gigs_98 :D . Sorry dude. IMO Nibali is the big winner today. And you're right, he has the team. Valverde was in California today; the ersatz of Bala at the Giro was a huge disappointment for me.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

Brullnux said:
arvc40 said:
SeriousSam said:
More Strides than Rides said:
A lot of people are saying Nibali looked weak. I think he looked the same as when he won the Tour and Giro. One big attack, and soloing to the top. That's what he did today, but today there were better riders in the field, something he didn't have to deal with in the past.

You really think that had these versions of Chavez and Crushweak been at the Tour in 2014, they would have dropped Nibali?

Well there better than the people he faced in 2014. Nibali is a good rider, totaly overrated as a GT rider though. Today is another good example of this. His attacks are WEAK.

Are weak atm. His attacks when he is in form are tremendous. Did he and Slongo do the usual acceleration training this year? Looks like he is missing that badly.

they probably did. except they forget to time the team car to wiz by to tow nibali.. :D

in serious note, with strong team and experience in his bag, I think "for now" Nibali is still the favorite to with the Giro. I would love Kruiswijk and Chaves rain on his parade though. Today stage is reminding me of "wedding crasher" movie .. when the groom got dropped in the climb.. priceless.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Nibali's plan seems obvious to me. He'll try to send as many teammates up the road as possible. Then try to attack downhill and lose the others there. Catch up his teammates and TTT to the finish.

I think LottoJumbo should do the same to a degree. Kruijswijk isn't benefitted by a selective race. Keep sending men up the road, especially Battaglin and Roglic I think should be able to get over the climbs to a degree that they would be useful.

Chaves otoh only has Plaza, who finished on 12 minutes yesterday. If he wants to make use of his teammates he's gonna have to go on an 150km MTT a deux :D

Matteo. said:
Mr.White said:
IndianCyclist said:
Astana Tactics should be really simple. isolate Kruijswijk & Chaves

And then what?

I read the same post last year but we all know how that tourned out. Nibali must improve to drop others on the mountains , otherwise he will not win the Giro
As of now Nibali is not bad unlike TDF. He lost ~30s. His recovery is proven and his performance will improve. All he needs to drop Kruijswijk and stay in range of Chaves. Kruijswijk is not a great attacker more of a diesel climber as seen last year as well. Chaves is already behind

Well for a diesel he still latched on to Nibali's wheel easily enough. So Nibali does need to get stronger.
Otherwise it's like with contador last year. Contador had barely no help, but still won because Aru couldn't hurt him enough and was weaker than Landa most of the time.

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site

hi and good 2016 to all!

what a great stage! again confirm that the big GC gaps you create with long, multiple mountains,preferably in altitude.
Valverde: almost out of GC, lets try a stagewin
Nibali: rides with intelligence (like how he did not follow kruiswijk). but did he really point for the giro? i think he started at 70% to try the double. now he realizes that the competiion is much stronger than expacted.
Chaves: so strong. scalatore puro.he looks very fresh! how did he not lose big time in the ITT??i hope he wins Giro and dont do just a rujano. last high mountain stages in huge favor for him! i hope they wont be skipped due to weather conditions.
Kruiswijk: strong,very regular. but still a rather big rider. his best GC in GT was 7th in giro 2015. the competiion this year is a bit inferior so i think he can podium. but he wont win.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
having now finally watched the video of todays stage..

Kruijswijk looked so at ease.. it's incredible. If he really has his 3rd week like he normally does than this Giro is over.

Wasn't Kruijswijk strongest during the same period of the Giro last year? Mortirolo stage was also end of 2nd week if I recall correcty. And the stage over the Finestre was end of 3rd week and there he no longer was stronger then most.

Maybe I'm wrong as I didn't look it up,but if my memory is right then people need to stop saying he will only get better, because he didn't last year.

Tonton said:
Nice rant Gigs_98 :D . Sorry dude. IMO Nibali is the big winner today. And you're right, he has the team. Valverde was in California today; the ersatz of Bala at the Giro was a huge disappointment for me.
Valverde was very much at the Giro yesterday. Turns out that even Valverde can't hold absolute top form permanently, and when you're at top form in the Ardennes it is hard to hold it all the way to the end of the Giro. See Evans in 2010 as well - one of the other guys capable of being competitive all year round, but running on fumes by the end of that Giro. The Don is better protected than that so may be able to keep in the mix, but it was inevitable that he'd lose out somewhere, it was just whether he'd been able to get far enough forward in the GC before it happened so that he could cover for it that was the question.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
You're looking at numbers too much. Kruijswijk was 7th yes, but only because he lost 8 minutes in the first week. He was one of the strongest climbers in the last week.Looks like a repeat this year, but without losing time in the first week.

I'm not talking about his time loss in the first week...
I'm talking about how he climbed with Contador and Landa over the Mortirolo. How he was clearly one of the best climbers of the Giro, while on the final stages he wasn't clearly one of the best 3 anymore. He was more top 10 material. Still very good, but not the best.

blaxland said:
RedheadDane said:
blaxland said:
congrats to Chaves his first of many grand tour stage wins.also great ride Kruijswijk this giro is now a three way battle.chaves really impressed me today.Orica finally has a GT rider to cheer for.

First... third... same-same. :D
My bad soz RedheadDane..

No need to apologize, just thought I'd point out your little mistake.

TRENDING THREADS