• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Giro d'Italia, Stage 19: Pinerolo - Risoul (162 km MTF)

Aug 31, 2014
Visit site
Here we go! Will anything significant happen? Can Valverde deal with the altitude and the temperature? Wish I had something more exciting to ponder than the third guy in GC possibly losing his podium...

Eshnar said:
STAGE 19: Pinerolo – Risoul 162 km MTF

Stage start: 12.45 CET, 27 May

PW_T19_Risoul_alt-1.jpg

PW_T19_Risoul_plan-1.jpg

Technical Overview:
The only top category MTF of the race, along with the Cima Coppi. Starting from Pinerolo, the stage doesn't offer any difficulty until km 50, with the first intermediate sprint in Piasco. From there, the road starts going up a little, always at 1-3% for 25 km, until the town of Sampeyre, famous for its homonym climb, where the other intermediate sprint is placed. Here the gradient keeps increasing very steadily, never surpassing 4-5% until just arriving into Casteldelfino, where the Cima Coppi 2016 starts officially. The mighty Colle dell'Agnello (21.3 km at 6.8%, CC), topping at 2744m above sea level after a gruesome final 9 km at almost 10% average, is basically equivalent to putting a Giau on top of Sestriere. The top also marks the border between Italy and France. From there on, it's a very fast downhill of 20 km, before hitting a descending false flat in the valley, 24 km long. Finally, after reaching Guillestre, the road rises up again, and will not flatten out anymore. The climb to the ski station of Risoul (12.8 km at 6.9%, GPM1) is far from being a crazy hard MTF, but in this edition is by far the hardest.

PW_T19_Risoul_ukm-1.jpg

The Climbs:

Colle dell'Agnello CC
One of the most mythical passes of the Alps, this monster has been climbed only 3 times in the Giro, the last in 2007, and twice in the Tour, in 2008 and 2011. Its last section, 9 really steep km at high altitude, will do damage, even in case of conservative racing. And let's not forget, it is the Cima Coppi 2016.
PW_T19_S01_Agnello-1.jpg

Risoul GPM1
Solid climb, last featured in the Tour 2014, with steeper gradients in the end.
PW_T19_S02_Risoul-3.jpg

What to expect:
Either an awesome stage or a very sad one. The false flat between the Agnello and Guillestre will likely kill any attack, so unless the GC situation does not force it, there won't be any. However Risoul is a pretty decent MTF, so the worst case scenario will still be ok.

colle_dell_agnello_01.jpg

Doesn't look like temperature will be an issue tomorrow. 28 C forecast in the valley - so shouldn't be too cold even on the top.

Someone will definitely crack big time here. Hopefully one or more of the top 3 to liven things up a bit. Probably will be Nibali again though.

Re:

DFA123 said:
Doesn't look like temperature will be an issue tomorrow. 28 C forecast in the valley - so shouldn't be too cold even on the top.

Someone will definitely crack big time here. Hopefully one or more of the top 3 to liven things up a bit. Probably will be Nibali again though.

Or maybe epic comeback by Nibali.

Re: 2016 Giro d'Italia, Stage 19: Pinerolo - Risoul (162 km

Astana and Movi to go all out on the Agnello and isolate Kruijswijk. Then Nibali attacks on the final kilometer of the climb and get a good advantage on the descent before he joins his teammates who were up in front. Kruijswijk chases on his own for the whole 40 kilometers between the top of Agnello and the start of Rissoul and then can't follow Chaves and Valverde who attack on the first kilometers of the mtf and gain 2 minutes on Kruijswijk and almost catch Nibali again who gets a heroic stage win a bit like in La Toussuire in the tdf last year. :cool:

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site

Gigs_98 said:
Astana and Movi to go all out on the Agnello and isolate Kruijswijk. Then Nibali attacks on the final kilometer of the climb and get a good advantage on the descent before he joins his teammates who were up in front. Kruijswijk chases on his own for the whole 40 kilometers between the top of Agnello and the start of Rissoul and then can't follow Chaves and Valverde who attack on the first kilometers of the mtf and gain 2 minutes on Kruijswijk and almost catch Nibali again who gets a heroic stage win a bit like in La Toussuire in the tdf last year. :cool:

Will you be watching tomorrow?

Re: Re:

RattaKuningas said:
DFA123 said:

Would probably be the best thing for the race. If Nibali could somehow gain 2 or 3 minutes tomorrow it would make everyone very nervous about the last stage. Looks impossible in current form though.

Gigs_98 said:

Astana might send riders in the break, but Nibali will follow wheels.
He should have followed wheels the entire Giro, instead of cooking himself up 3 times, he would have probably been in a better GC situation.
But of course it’s not his style and he couldn’t know about his form beforehand.

A stage win would indeed be cool, but seems quite unlikely at this point.

I fear and expect a very conservative riding between top GC guys… :(

Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
RattaKuningas said:
DFA123 said:

Would probably be the best thing for the race. If Nibali could somehow gain 2 or 3 minutes tomorrow it would make everyone very nervous about the last stage. Looks impossible in current form though.

It looks impossible but I think that he will probably try anyways. There is nothing to lose.

Gigs_98 said:
That would be nice. I'm afraid that too many in the top-10 are happy with what they have and will ride defensively. If that's the case, whatever Nibali throws at them (if he can do anything at all) will be in vain. Call me pessimistic on this one, but I think that the selection will be done from the back, not through epic attacks and heroic riding.

Maybe Nibali gets the same shape changes like Aru last year and all of a sudden he will be super strong on the last two mountain stages, while the seemingly untouchable leader gets weaker :D

Agnello's too far from Risoul and the descent doesn't look demanding at all. That is what you get going up to 3000 meters... nothing close enough to materialise the work you've done. But attrition and isolation are what can be achieved.
This stage is exhibition of glorious Alpine beauty and epicness of cycling. And it's designed for that purpose.

The way Nibali has been talking about pride etc I'm thinking he, and Astana, might put in some crazy attacks. He won't have the legs, they'll probably fail and he'll lose massive time but 4th or 14th makes no odds to him and I think it is much more important to him he tries something to please the tifosi at this point.

Chaves to win the stage and put a few second into Valverde and Kruijswijk...

If Nibali either goes on the top or on the descent and have someone up the road (which they definitely will have), the false flat between Agnello and Risoul can prove to be a blessing in disguise. Hopefully he does, its the only I can see move on Agnello - maybe along with the mad man that is Zakarin.

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site
Time for Schteve to bag a win, I believe.

Obviously, if Gigs_98 isn't watching, Zaka will attack on Agnello in a blizzard, and win an epic stage by five minutes.

Tonton said:
Gigs_98 said:
That would be nice. I'm afraid that too many in the top-10 are happy with what they have and will ride defensively. If that's the case, whatever Nibali throws at them (if he can do anything at all) will be in vain. Call me pessimistic on this one, but I think that the selection will be done from the back, not through epic attacks and heroic riding.

I would be amazed if Nibali can drop the GC boys.

Poursuivant said:
Tonton said:
Gigs_98 said:

I would be amazed if Nibali can drop the GC boys.
If only he could drop Majka there would be a party in the forum