• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Giro d'Italia - Stage 4 Catanzaro – Praia a Mare 200km

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

Taxus4a said:
Krokro said:
Krokro said:
For this stage I would bet a good fast puncher like Ulissi or Colbrelli as well. Navardauskas would do great on that kind of terrain but his form looks not that good. Less probably but Chaves or Valverde to try something in the 18% ?
I don't see Kittel or any real sprinter getting it. It will ofc depend on the prloton pace as well.

:cool:

+1 Nibali or Valverde look sharper than Landa. We will see in high mountains if it's still the case.
Good surprises : Kruijswijk / Chaves / Dumoulin
Bad : Landa positioning, Majka ?

They are not sharper than Landa, Landa did a very good ITT for his capacity, but in the past Landa could won in Neila orr Bondone, but he lost big time in stages like today. He didnt lost time, and he dont have such a big team as Nibali, so it is ok. If Landa dont lose tome in thiss kind of stages he is day by day more favourite. He can get big time in a really hard stage. They need to put Landa at 15 minutes to dont worry about him...

Really? I think 3 minutes will be more than enough

BigMac said:
Samamba said:
I'm a fan of his racing style, but am I the only one who thinks that Wellens is a bit overrated?

I don't see as much people hyping him as I see cheering for him. Not to mention it's harder to collect results the way he usually rides.
Yeah a lot of people talk about him because he is always going out on the attack but I don't see many hyping him up to much, he is a talented attacking and talked about rider but certainly not overrated

Re: 2016 Giro d'Italia - Stage 4 Catanzaro – Praia a Mare 20

BigMac said:
Kwibus said:
BigMac said:
Kwibus said:
BigMac said:
Do you think I expected him to be in the first group? Between that and strolling and cheering in the gruppetto while doning rosa there's a huge gap.

Lol...what do you expect.
Such nonsense this. This is just silly hating

That he wasn't throwing a party in the autobus while wearing that jersey. But if he doesn't want it, it's not his fault he was given the opportunity to wear it in the first place.

You are obviously the only person with this opinion. So enjoy it.

This is bizarre. Do you only think what the majority thinks? It doesn't bother me to be the only one who thinks it, I don't really crave concord that much.

Definately do not think what the majority thinks, but once your the only one you should ask yourself wether you are right.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Missed opportunity for Bala. Could have won the stage and get boni's if Movistar worked their ass out in the last 10 km.

Apart from that, only Landa showed some weakness. He was dropped at the top of the last climb, but was lucky Astana didn't went full genius after that. He's not the most explosive guy in the peloton for sure, but he still should be able to follow the 15 other GG guys on such a climb.

Kruiswijk looks in monster shape. Maybe chance to get a podium? Let's wait.

Bala and Nibali looked solid, but they are both extremely capable and allround riders, so they should not have any problems in this kind of stages. Chaves and Uran are looking attentive too. And Dumoulin will fight for GC, for sure.

Zaka good too. A little bit under the radar atm, but that's good.

Taxus4a said:
Krokro said:
Krokro said:
For this stage I would bet a good fast puncher like Ulissi or Colbrelli as well. Navardauskas would do great on that kind of terrain but his form looks not that good. Less probably but Chaves or Valverde to try something in the 18% ?
I don't see Kittel or any real sprinter getting it. It will ofc depend on the prloton pace as well.

+1 Nibali or Valverde look sharper than Landa. We will see in high mountains if it's still the case.

They are not sharper than Landa, Landa did a very good ITT for his capacity, but in the past Landa could won in Neila orr Bondone, but he lost big time in stages like today. He didnt lost time, and he dont have such a big team as Nibali, so it is ok. If Landa dont lose tome in thiss kind of stages he is day by day more favourite. He can get big time in a really hard stage. They need to put Landa at 15 minutes to dont worry about him...

And you wonder why some say you don't know much about cycling. ;)

Happy with Nibali's performance today, looked good and calm and came pretty damn close to Bala in the sprint. Astana were crazy strong too, so bodes well. Tom will look to keep the pink as long as possible IMO. He has a shot until Stage 13, but might lose it either Thursday or in the stage to Arezzo before the TT. Valverde looks good too, and Movistar look decent. Landa didn't impress me today, and neither did Sky. I know he isn't the most explosive guy, but he has won on short, sharp ascents before. In fact, this year his stage victories have only come on short, sharp climbs.

These stages are great though. Eshnar was 100% right in saying that sprinters have no chance today (the only guy who was a 'sprinter' in the final large group was Colbrelli). Also, Lampre's tactics have been criticised in the past (especially by BigMac, and I have sometimes too) but today they rode a perfect race. They knew that Ulissi may not be able to keep a gap after the climb if he attacked out of the main group, or win a sprint against Colbrelli and Valverde. So they made him join a smaller break about 20km from the line, with Conti in it too. This way the break stayed out with ~25 seconds over the peloton, and then he attacked out of the smaller group, then held it to the line. Out of his 5 Giro victories, this one is by far his best. Great ride, great stage.

Nice win (and a gutsy one) for Ulissi.......great to see a local boy winning on home soil!

Nibbles, Bala, Kruiswijk, Zakarin in good postion....but early days though.

Tom D punching hard for the line is good to see......I'm predicting a very strong showing in this tour from the big man.....not just in the TT's

Ryder losing time in the first week of a Grand Tour.....is he just a slow learner :rolleyes:

Landa and Sky???

BigMac said:
Billie said:
Kwibus said:
Billie said:
Dan Lloyd interviewing Diego Ulissi in English for RCS in il Giro. What a farce :rolleyes: :eek:

No. That's just the short interview for the international broadcast.
He'll get his italian interview for RAI, don't worry.

This has been happening for a while now in all big cycling races.

In most races the winner is interviewed in his preferred language and after that the interviewer asks him some questions in english for the broad audience.

Here Lloyd asks questions in English ( for a good part to riders who don't even speak english) and the rider halfly understood it and answers in either average english or in his own language which means Lloyd doesn't even understands him so there is need for a tolk. It takes the personal band between interviewer and interviewee away and thus takes all the emotion out of the interview. But the point of the flash interview is generally to show the winners emotion.

It shouldn't be that hard to find an actual journalist that speaks couple different languages (think Italian, English, Spanish and French).

Eurosport had one. Italian guy, I think? Could speak at least English, Spanish and Brazilian Portuguese other than his mother tongue.

stefano bernabino.

really good stage. nice one for ulissi, think he will get another one.

Txrt said:
CheckMyPecs said:
Txrt said:
10€ for 100 on Ulissi. **** hell I thought he would be caught with 6kms left. Thank god they left one Bardiani guy do all the work until almost the last km.
Smart bet, congrats.
Thank you.

We have a small betting company in the Basque Country called Kiroljokoa, which I only use to bet on cycling. As there's obviously a huge fandom for cycling over here, they have almost every race, and from very early; odds are good, and they are a bit slow in reacting. Today for example the first time I saw Ulissi on the break, he was still at 9/1. I bet 10€ thinking they'd close to change odds, but nah, it worked well. I tried to put extra 10 after the first one, and it didn't let me that time.

With 6km to go, I put 10 in Colbrelli in case they catched him at 13/1. I shouldn't have, apparently ahahah.

congrats!

can i bet from outside the euskadi too? :D

Jspear said:
Taxus4a said:
Krokro said:
Krokro said:

And you wonder why some say you don't know much about cycling. ;)
To dont worry about a rider maybe itis always half an hour, you can ask to Pereiro...

How Mych Hesjedal recover instead the continious pace of Astana or Saxo llast year?

Landa is that kind of rider that can get lot of time in a mountain stage if you let him go...

There are some stages where he can put lot of time, but it would be normal if he losetome in other kind of stages, not just ITT.

I know what I know about cycling, I dont mind what you think, I just want to saw people how this sport works out, becoue here mosst of the people is under 30...

TRENDING THREADS