• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Giro d'Italia - Stage 5 Praia a Mare – Benevento 233km

Who will win Stage 5

• Moreno Hofland

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Other (Vino)

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Elia Viviani

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Giacomo Nizzolo

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Sacha Modolo

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Breakaway Rider

Votes: 14 17.9%
  • Arnaud Demare

Votes: 8 10.3%
  • Caleb Ewan

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Marcel Kittel

Votes: 26 33.3%
  • Andre Greipel

Votes: 12 15.4%

• Total voters
Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Eshnar said:
STAGE 5: Praia a Mare – Benevento 233 km

Stage start: 11.30 CET, 11 May

T05_Benevento_alt-PRE-1.jpg

1QKWTfC.jpg

Technical Overview:
A very long transitional stage, 233 km and some rough terrain. Starting where they finished the day before, the riders will venture into the mainland through a sequence of false flats and 5% ramps all the way up to a long plateau, which presents only one little bump at the beginning, the climb to Fortino (2.7 km at 7.3%, GPM3), the only categorized climb of the stage. Despite having only one official climb, this stage is far from flat: After the the first intermediate sprint the aforementioned plateau ends and the riders will descend and start ascending again, 7.7 km with very gentle ramps, at 3.1% average but with some 5% sections, up to the second intermediate sprint in Palomonte. After its gentle descent and less than 10 km of valley, the peloton will hit another uncategorized climb, measuring 5.4 km at 5.9%. At the top of this climb we are at 90 km to go. The next 23 km feature more false flats, and are followed by the last climb of the day (yet again, uncategorized), with 6 km at 5.1%, topping at 60 km to go. After that, there is false flat, a proper descent, and a flat 30 km long run into the city of Benevento. Here the riders will pass through the finishing line once, before making just one lap on a short 6.5 km circuit. The finishing straight is slightly uphill, and the road is paved with large cobblestones (it is a very smooth surface, so it should not be a problem at all, see the Giro 2009 stage 18 as reference).

T05_Benevento_ukm-PRE.jpg

l41kRNz.jpg

The Climbs:

Fortino GPM3
Not much to say about this one. Short and quite steep. It's only weird that it is the only categorized climb in a stage that features many others, although not as steep as this one. No official profile sadly.

What to expect:
This is on paper the mother of all breakaway stages. However, it is the first week, teams are still powerful and sprinters should be willing to keep it all together.

0I2C7180-_Benevento---Piazza-Santa-Sofia_.jpg

Hard one to predict... I don't think the break will take it, Giant probably to control it and some sprinter teams to take up the chase. Maybe they can beat Kittel on those 3% ramps, who knows.

Would be funny to see a stage like the one in TdF 2013 when Cannondale went hard. Would probably be the best scenario.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Wouldn't be surprised if it goes to the breakaway. If it's a sprint maybe Nizzolo and Viviani (?) could beat Kittel on this kind of terrain.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Hard one to predict... I don't think the break will take it, Giant probably to control it and some sprinter teams to take up the chase. Maybe they can beat Kittel on those 3% ramps, who knows.

Would be funny to see a stage like the one in TdF 2013 when Cannondale went hard. Would probably be the best scenario.
On one hand Dumoulin really fought for the Jersey today, but on the other hand he said a few days ago that he doesnt want to keep it, so maybe he will let the break go and Etixx also doesnt want to chase on the hilly terrain because of Kittel. In that case the break might even have a chance. That would be a very cool scenario.

What sprinters teams should do: Put a man in the breakaway, let Etixx do all the work. You're not beating Kittel, so don't kid yourself to try. Best chance to win is the breakaway for any team but Etixx.

What the sprinters teams will do: Ride for a sprint, because, well... They didn't listen to me, and didn't put someone in the breakaway. Now its better to sprint for 5th place than for 9th place.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

Gigs_98 said:
Valv.Piti said:

On one hand Dumoulin really fought for the Jersey today, but on the other hand he said a few days ago that he doesnt want to keep it, so maybe he will let the break go and Etixx also doesnt want to chase on the hilly terrain because of Kittel. In that case the break might even have a chance. That would be a very cool scenario.

There is an obvious difference between what Dumoulin does, and what Dumoulin talks. So I think he's going to keep the jersey for as long as he can

Mr.White said:
Gigs_98 said:
Valv.Piti said:

There is an obvious difference between what Dumoulin does, and what Dumoulin talks. So I think he's going to keep the jersey for as long as he can

Dumoulin is like the most straight up interviewee in the peloton.

Red Rick said:
Mr.White said:
Gigs_98 said:
Valv.Piti said:

Dumoulin is like the most straight up interviewee in the peloton.

I think he is referring to Dumoulin stating time and time again that he isn't here for the GC, while if everything goes according to plan, he will be up +1,30 after Chianti. Then what? One thing is for sure, he isn't here just to win the TT's or to prepare, he is here to try himself out again against the big boys, he just don't wanna say that yet in order not to put too much pressure on himself. I think its pretty glaring

This year RCS leaves lot of climb on the way not categorising them :rolleyes:

For the stage i think it's too hilly far a mass sprint so will be a sprint between a reduced group but larger than today (50/70 riders), could be a day for Trentin, Sbaragli, Colbrelli, Ulissi or even Valverde could try to sprint.
An attack on the first passage on the cobbled finish (only 6.3 km to go) could also be a possibility.

Re: 2016 Giro d'Italia - Stage 5 Praia a Mare – Benevento 23

I'm not sure that it's a stage for Kittel. But much depends on how hard it will be raced. The stage is 233km, has plenty of hills and last km is uphill 3% gradient. If other teams make the race hard, I don't think Kittel will be able to take it.

TRENDING THREADS