• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Giro d'Italia - Stage 5 Praia a Mare – Benevento 233km

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win Stage 5

• Moreno Hofland

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Other (Vino)

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Elia Viviani

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Giacomo Nizzolo

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Sacha Modolo

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Breakaway Rider

Votes: 14 17.9%
  • Arnaud Demare

Votes: 8 10.3%
  • Caleb Ewan

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Marcel Kittel

Votes: 26 33.3%
  • Andre Greipel

Votes: 12 15.4%

• Total voters
Re:

Krokro said:
Mehh I rewatched it carefully but I never see a 4" gap there. Anyway kinda surprising, I did not expect GC guys losing time, eventhough 4" is quite okay.

When you climb Giau in a +200 dolomites fest and are climbing Agnello, Bonette and Lombarde, I think it hardly matters :p

Anyways, I like the decision, the riders should be rewarded on such finishes to be at the front. The crash wasn't that bad at all

That's true, if one of them loses the Giro by 4" it would be just insane haha. I agree with you on the positionning and this finish was tricky and dangerous af. Landa is again caught a bit, but as already debated it should be fine when the road will be steeper. I just find Sky lacking conviction/strength there.

Re: 2016 Giro d'Italia - Stage 5 Praia a Mare – Benevento 23

I'm really disappointed by Ewan. It's okay that he doesnt win, but this sprint should have suited him perfectly and riders like Jungles and Preidler ( :eek: ) finished higher than him.
Btw, what the hell is going on with Preidler? He is supposed to be a climber and is almost in the top 10 of an ITT and in the top 10 of a sprint stage.

And I also like this stage because so many people claimed that Kittel has become a good climber and then he gets dropped on a brutal 3% ramp.

The ONLY good thing on the ESPN Brazilian transmition is the fact that they have a "reporter" at the finish. But she is Landa's girlfriend( @EstelaFarah ). So she has good information. She said tuesday Landa had an alergic reaction with polen and indeed wasn't in good shape. If it wasn't for Roche... She said Sky's doc said he should(!?) be ok for tomorrow...

Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
classicomano said:
Kittel was laughable today though. Im starting to think hes an even worse climber than Ivan Quaranta.

At first I raid Quintana and thoughst it was quite an accurate statement to me

That would be true indeed... ;)

---

Nice win by Greipel.

Right, gotta admit that I was laughing a little bit at Timmer's and Bobridge's synchronized head-dive off their bikes. Felt a bit bad, but then again... they seemed to be laughing as well.

Gigs_98 said:
I'm really disappointed by Ewan. It's okay that he doesnt win, but this sprint should have suited him perfectly and riders like Jungles and Preidler ( :eek: ) finished higher than him.
Ewan has never done anything impressive once the race surpasses the 200k.

Billie said:
WildspokeJoe said:
classicomano said:
Kittel was laughable today though. Im starting to think hes an even worse climber than Ivan Quaranta.

C'mon - that's crazy, crazy talk. Quaranta could get dropped on an overpass.

and the whole Formaggi Pinzolo team would wait for him :D Good times

Oh, my that was so true! He had awesome sprint if he was around to deploy it. Could you imagine being a support rider for him? "Oh man, not this *** again." Team time trialing off the back.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site

Billie said:
Krokro said:
Mehh I rewatched it carefully but I never see a 4" gap there. Anyway kinda surprising, I did not expect GC guys losing time, eventhough 4" is quite okay.

There doesn't have to be a 4" gap. But there is a 1" gap which means the next guy is placed in the time he lost on the winner.
Looks like Little Vincenzo didn't know that
I was together with [Mikel] Landa. I didn’t see where the gap was formed and I didn’t see how it opened up, because four seconds are really a lot.

Mayomaniac said:
damian13ster said:
Samamba said:
I underestimated Greipel big time. Thought he was gonna mess up when he got no teammates left, but damn he was strong. Impressive!

Yeah, was never close. Impressive display of power. BTW, thought that Ewan was positioned great when the sprint started. Nowhere close at the finish though
Ewan did pretty good, it was an over 230km long gt stage.

An improved showing today - Should have come 5th today but sat up in the last 30m when he couldn't podium.

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Jungle Cycle said:
The ONLY good thing on the ESPN Brazilian transmition is the fact that they have a "reporter" at the finish. But she is Landa's girlfriend( @EstelaFarah ). So she has good information. She said tuesday Landa had an alergic reaction with polen and indeed wasn't in good shape. If it wasn't for Roche... She said Sky's doc said he should(!?) be ok for tomorrow...

Oh dear...does her actual boyfriend Caio Godoy (promising young Brazilian rider) know this?? :eek: :D

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site

Greipel asked about similarities and differences (physical) between him and Kittel : "For sure, Marcel is not ugly but I also don't need to hide behind a wall." :D Hard not to like the guy. Anyhow, so far so good - 5 stages behind and I must admit this is promising start for next two weeks...

belane said:
Greipel asked about similarities and differences (physical) between him and Kittel : "For sure, Marcel is not ugly but I also don't need to hide behind a wall." :D Hard not to like the guy. Anyhow, so far so good - 5 stages behind and I must admit this is promising start for next two weeks...

That's brilliant :D Is there any footage of the interview?

TRENDING THREADS