• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Giro d'Italia - Stage 6 Ponte – Roccaraso 157 km MTF

Page 22 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will win Stage 6?

• Rafal Majka

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Vincenzo Nibali

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Rigoberto Uran

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Ilnur Zakarin

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • Mikel Landa

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Alejandro Valverde

Votes: 50 44.6%
  • Steven Kruijswijk

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Domenico Pozzovivo

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Jakob Fuglsang

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other (Vino)

Votes: 29 25.9%

• Total voters
Re: 2016 Giro d'Italia - Stage 6 Ponte – Roccaraso 157 km MT

SeriousSam said:
So according to Nibali his form is great, it's just that his the team misguidedly told him to attack if he's feeling good and those 10 seconds in the wind, forging 15 meters ahead of the group, managed to deplete almost all of his energy so it was then only natural that a very strong Nibali would be unable to keep pace with a group exceeding 15 riders.

A sound assessment.

Wind did not stop Dumoulin or Fuglsang who was out there for several KM or Zakarin or Pozzo

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Okay, I get that.

I have only seen danish interviews. But I think you can understand why its hard to believe in him, no?

Ofcourse I understand it, but I've never really liked guessing what people think. There have been so many people on here that knew what rider A was going to do or what Rider B meant instead of what he said. Or what rider C was thinking... no ***.. sometimes people also know what a rider is thinking.

HelloDolly said:
SeriousSam said:
So according to Nibali his form is great, it's just that his the team misguidedly told him to attack if he's feeling good and those 10 seconds in the wind, forging 15 meters ahead of the group, managed to deplete almost all of his energy so it was then only natural that a very strong Nibali would be unable to keep pace with a group exceeding 15 riders.

A sound assessment.

Wind did not stop Dumoulin or Fuglsang who was out there for several KM or Zakarin or Pozzo

Indeed, allthough attacking on the flat part probably wasn't a good idea. First thing Dumoulin said about Nibbles attack.

Re: Re:

Kwibus said:
Valv.Piti said:
Okay, I get that.

I have only seen danish interviews. But I think you can understand why its hard to believe in him, no?

Ofcourse I understand it, but I've never really liked guessing what people think. There have been so many people on here that knew what rider A was going to do or what Rider B meant instead of what he said. Or what rider C was thinking... no ****.. sometimes people also know what a rider is thinking.

It's just that many riders doesn't tell the truth. Take the Contador-example... I know that was in another league, but Im always sceptic about when they are playing themselves down and 'taking day by day'.

But I get you. :)

Valv.Piti said:
Kwibus said:
Valv.Piti said:
Okay, I get that.

Ofcourse I understand it, but I've never really liked guessing what people think. There have been so many people on here that knew what rider A was going to do or what Rider B meant instead of what he said. Or what rider C was thinking... no ****.. sometimes people also know what a rider is thinking.

It's just that many riders doesn't tell the truth. Take the Contador-example... I know that was in another league, but Im always sceptic about when they are playing themselves down and 'taking day by day'.

But I get you. :)

It's hard to believe anyone these days! The world is full of lies! Conspiracies everywhere....

;)

Haha. Kwibus, I couldn't help but notice Valverde's comments in the post-race interview. Its hilarious. Great minds think alike ;)

"I'm happy with the day's result. Dumoulin saying he wasn't coming for the GC? We all knew those quotes were only a means to distract the enemy. We're all sufficiently professional and we know how he's doing and what he's worth . He's doing great and he remains a rival to take pretty much into account."

SeriousSam said:

A sound assessment.

Yep, that's very probable. Only the immense force of Nibali's own lieutenant and the mighty Siutsou was able to withstand the terrible headwind. For 13 k's.

Nibble better get his sh*t together

There was quite a bit more action on the final climb than I expected, but there were only about 25secs between the top 20 (excluding Wellens). So it's a win-win situation, action, but the race is still wide open. It's obvious that Astana are going to play the numbers game, but what was the shark doing?
Landa also looked fragile. Zakharin, Tommy D, Birdsong, Pozzo, Chaves Uran and Majka looked good but the keys are the TTs and the last week (and the weather).

A well worked win by Ligthart and Wellens. Great to see Tim win a GT stage.

Surprised by Valverde's apparent weakness and Major Tom's straight up guts. He's trying to maximize his time gain in the early stages it seems, to give him a decent amount of leeway for the later stages. Though he looked stronger than almost anyone today.

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Drawing GC related conclusions after today's stage is the same as drawing conclusions after the Lago Laceno stage of Giro 1998. The end results turned out to be quite different.
Actually, I think there's quite a good chance to have similar GC dynamics in these 2 Giros (98 &16). I can guess who is going to be the Pantani of this Giro, I can effortlessly guess who is going to be the Zuelle of this Giro. The Tonkov part is a bit of an unknown for the moment.

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
This is shaping up to be a nice Giro for the Dutch :D Although Dumoulin looks strong now, I don't think he will be able to follow the best in the high mountains. He is just protecting is pink jersey and is trying to stay in it as long as possible. Ofcourse he will try to get the best results in the high mountains and go for the GC but I think he doesn't expect to be able to follow the best there and is fine with it. As far as GC goes I think Kruijswijk has a bigger chance than him, I hope he can get podium. Let's see !!!

Yesterday I could watch the finish but I had no time to post.

Dumoulin on his way to repeat last year's Vuelta. I hope it will work better for him this time... he deserves it.
Pozzovivo and Zakarin have been very good. Especially for a rider like Pozzo bridging to Dumoulin on a false flat was no joke.
Nibali BAD. Bad timing, bad legs and bad feelings.
Is Fuglsang the new Landa?
Is Landa the new Porte?
Kruijswijk really good, but I expected him to try to follow Dumo but he didn't even try.
Chaves and Majka as expected.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Haha. Kwibus, I couldn't help but notice Valverde's comments in the post-race interview. Its hilarious. Great minds think alike ;)

"I'm happy with the day's result. Dumoulin saying he wasn't coming for the GC? We all knew those quotes were only a means to distract the enemy. We're all sufficiently professional and we know how he's doing and what he's worth . He's doing great and he remains a rival to take pretty much into account."

A lot of people don't believe him and I'm not saying he won't try to hold onto pink. It's just not very realistic as his preparation was towards TT's and not climbing. Well I'm repeating myself ;)

They shouldn't underestimate him ofcourse and if they ride the multi mountain stages like cowards they will have a problem, but if they do it like the penultimate stage of the Vuelta then Tom has a problem.

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site

Kwibus said:
Valv.Piti said:

A lot of people don't believe him and I'm not saying he won't try to hold onto pink. It's just not very realistic as his preparation was towards TT's and not climbing. Well I'm repeating myself ;)

They shouldn't underestimate him ofcourse and if they ride the multi mountain stages like cowards they will have a problem, but if they do it like the penultimate stage of the Vuelta then Tom has a problem.

I just don't see the bold part happening, and I'm not glad to be proven wrong. With Landani who usually excels in super hard mountain stages, with the turquoise Kazakh wolves, with Zakarin, Firsanov, Kruijsvijk and even Majka (who I expect to be showing some courage this year), I would say the chances of racing cowardly are really really slim.
The only party spoiler might be the weather.

TRENDING THREADS