2016 Giro d'Italia - Stage 8 Foligno – Arezzo 186 km

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 14, 2016
3,093
1
0
Re: Re:

carolina said:
PremierAndrew said:
Rollthedice said:
Obviously Dumoulin is not here to win the Giro. He told us this many times.
If Dumoulin was not here to win the Giro, he would not try to chase back after being dropped and use up a ton of energy the day before the long TT, supposedly his main goal for the Giro
The leader always defends his jersey, even if it's a lost cause. It's a matter of showing respect for the maglia rosa.
Unless his name is Marcel Kittel.
 
Re: Re:

Breh said:
carolina said:
PremierAndrew said:
Rollthedice said:
Obviously Dumoulin is not here to win the Giro. He told us this many times.
If Dumoulin was not here to win the Giro, he would not try to chase back after being dropped and use up a ton of energy the day before the long TT, supposedly his main goal for the Giro
The leader always defends his jersey, even if it's a lost cause. It's a matter of showing respect for the maglia rosa.
Then why didn't they chase down the breakaway? Or why didnt he defend the pink in the Netherlands?
What the hell are you talking about?
 
It was a nice stage, a little appetizer of what's to come later. Surprisingly, quite big number of GC contender are seemingly very evenly matched. I expected bigger differences between them on today climb due to the surface they rode on. Hope it won't stay that way, otherwise we might have a really conservative race on our hands.

If Nibali has a similar improvement in him as we saw during last years Tour, he is still the man to beat.
 
Re: Re:

Kwibus said:
liamito said:
classicomano said:
No gifts, no soft pedalling. Tom is gonna make you work for that Maglia Rosa.

He only said: If I didn't have the jersey, I might have taken todays stage really easy because of the TT. But that's not the case right now.
Incredible how (social) media can bend words. I hate it.

lol so that's what dumoulin meant by "full-gas". :eek: :eek:

by the way, really said "i will go full-gas", i don't make up things on twitter. here yes :D he said it in english, of course that the italian interviewer translated into some bullshiit.


let's see if brambilla will do a santambroggio in the mountains.
 
Re: Re:

johnymax said:
HelloDolly said:
So all those making premature predictions about htis Giro must now wonder WTF they were on about

Its still Nibali v Valverde v Landa for me
vs Majka vs Zakarin vs Kurijswijk vs Chaves vs Uran vs Pozzo vs maybe Fuglsang.

They all look strong. It's shaping to be pretty interesting actually.

Actually I made a mistake when I wrote that.. I mean to say Nibs, v Bala V Uran
Before the Giro began I bet on that podium (in no particular order)

Nibali, Uran & Valverde and I have seen nothing to change my mind on this

Chaves,Fuglsang & Pozzo will slip in the high mountains
Zakarin will slip when in 3rd week
Majka & Kurijswijk will possibly do top 5 dependent on them not peaking too soon

Landa is not really in top form ....but he could get better but not sure ..maybe SKY Giro curse
 
Aug 31, 2012
7,550
1
0
Well, in some sense Tom did go full gas today, opening up a huge gap between himself and the group of favourites. :p
 
Re: Re:

Forever The Best said:
Irondan said:
Forever The Best said:
Good day of racing.Valverde and Nibali may regret not attacking in the descent though.Nibali is still the favourite though.Zakarin,Landa and Kruiswijk today's winners in my opinion.
Also awesome ride and victory by Brambilla :)
They did attack on the descent, with Chavez. They couldn't make it stick, that happens sometimes.
They went very late though, but still there was a gap when they went and then something happened and the others were quickly back.
The "something happened" was that stupid damn camera moto in front of them - they couldn't continue at that speed cos it was in the way, so the gap got closed.

Don't these motos realise to get out of the way on the descent?!!! :mad:
 
Mar 14, 2016
3,093
1
0
Re: Re:

dusty red roads said:
Forever The Best said:
Irondan said:
Forever The Best said:
Good day of racing.Valverde and Nibali may regret not attacking in the descent though.Nibali is still the favourite though.Zakarin,Landa and Kruiswijk today's winners in my opinion.
Also awesome ride and victory by Brambilla :)
They did attack on the descent, with Chavez. They couldn't make it stick, that happens sometimes.
They went very late though, but still there was a gap when they went and then something happened and the others were quickly back.
The "something happened" was that stupid damn camera moto in front of them - they couldn't continue at that speed cos it was in the way, so the gap got closed.

Don't these motos realise to get out of the way on the descent?!!! :mad:
Getting good shots for TV ratings is more important in these consumerist times.
 
Re: Re:

JRanton said:
therealthing said:
Nirvana said:
therealthing said:
Nirvana said:
Pancani said that Viviani now is still at 10 kms to go :eek:
Apparently Van Poppel and Filosi are going to be outside the time cut too. That's a bummer for Viviani, be must be ill or something which would explain his sub par performances.
Van Poppel and Filosi passed the line half a minute ago.
Yeah they're nearly an hour back on the winner. Surely outside the limit.
They must have been dropped very early into the stage. Probably on that climb with 66km to go or perhaps even earlier.
Cassani said that they lost the wheels of the peloton on the climb to Assisi cathedral (where Purito won in 2012) at the beginning of the stage.
After that there was Brambilla attack on the wet descent and the main group splitted in two parts for 30/40 kms so for them the race ended there.
 
Oct 10, 2015
2,059
0
0
Re: Re:

carolina said:
PremierAndrew said:
Rollthedice said:
Obviously Dumoulin is not here to win the Giro. He told us this many times.
If Dumoulin was not here to win the Giro, he would not try to chase back after being dropped and use up a ton of energy the day before the long TT, supposedly his main goal for the Giro
The leader always defends his jersey, even if it's a lost cause. It's a matter of showing respect for the maglia rosa.
Totally agree, even Kittel tried to defend it on stage 4 when he had absolutely no chance of hanging onto it. I can understand why Dumoulin would try and limit his loses today as to have a chance of getting it back tomorrow, doesn't mean he is here to win the race
 
Aug 31, 2012
7,550
1
0
A true warrior knows when to retreat. Defending the jersey when it's a lost cause isn't praiseworthy, it's foolish
 
Re: Re:

StryderHells said:
carolina said:
PremierAndrew said:
Rollthedice said:
Obviously Dumoulin is not here to win the Giro. He told us this many times.
If Dumoulin was not here to win the Giro, he would not try to chase back after being dropped and use up a ton of energy the day before the long TT, supposedly his main goal for the Giro
The leader always defends his jersey, even if it's a lost cause. It's a matter of showing respect for the maglia rosa.
Totally agree, even Kittel tried to defend it on stage 4 when he had absolutely no chance of hanging onto it. I can understand why Dumoulin would try and limit his loses today as to have a chance of getting it back tomorrow, doesn't mean he is here to win the race
He still has a shot at taking pink tomorrow so ofcourse he kept on fighting.

Allthough personally I wished he just let go.
 
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
SeriousSam said:
A true warrior knows when to retreat. Defending the jersey when it's a lost cause isn't praiseworthy, it's foolish
I had expected Kittel to lose 10 kgs overnight, what a fool he is for not defending it properly
It's not about whether you make it or not, it's about at least putting in the goddamn *** effort.

"Look, I'm dropped like a stone in the leaders jersey, but I'm a sprinter, so idc lol". Cause that why we watch cycling?
 
Nothing wrong with him trying to defend it today. The less time he loses today the better chance for tomorrow. And who wouldn't want the pink jersey back?

Good win for Brambilla. Chaves looks amazingly ready. Hope That Urán has a better TT tomorrow than what he has shown all year.

Still many on contention. Landa looks like he needed a few more kilometers before the Giro.
 
Aug 31, 2012
7,550
1
0
Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
Valv.Piti said:
SeriousSam said:
A true warrior knows when to retreat. Defending the jersey when it's a lost cause isn't praiseworthy, it's foolish
I had expected Kittel to lose 10 kgs overnight, what a fool he is for not defending it properly
It's not about whether you make it or not, it's about at least putting in the goddamn **** effort.

"Look, I'm dropped like a stone in the leaders jersey, but I'm a sprinter, so idc lol". Cause that why we watch cycling?
Personally, I have no interest in watching pointless displays of grit and determination. Kittel's objectives are to capture the leader's jersey and to win stages. A Don Quixote esque struggle to keep the jersey may compromise one of those objectives because it's a pointless waste of energy.
 
Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
Breh said:
carolina said:
PremierAndrew said:
Rollthedice said:
Obviously Dumoulin is not here to win the Giro. He told us this many times.
If Dumoulin was not here to win the Giro, he would not try to chase back after being dropped and use up a ton of energy the day before the long TT, supposedly his main goal for the Giro
The leader always defends his jersey, even if it's a lost cause. It's a matter of showing respect for the maglia rosa.
Then why didn't they chase down the breakaway? Or why didnt he defend the pink in the Netherlands?
What the hell are you talking about?
Well this guy is saying Dumoulin is giving his all to defend the MR out of respect despite his GC and his main goal, the TT tomorrow.

If he had so much respect for the pink jersey, his team should have never given Brambilla so much time.
If he had so much respect for the pink jersey, he should've tried to grab some bonification seconds in the Netherlands to prevent Kittel from taking it.

Just pure bullsht that Dumoulin was putting himself to the limit out of respect for the jersey.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS