2016 Giro d'Italia - Stage 8 Foligno – Arezzo 186 km

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

More Strides than Rides said:
Fernandez said:
Never seen Valverde so agressive. He tortured everyone of the others contenders today. He looked amazing. Id wish he rode that way many other times. By the way, how many stages could have won Valverde in this Giro so far if Movistar had worked properly? Todays for sure.
Given that he never got a gap except for that first burst, and the group was always large, it wasn't that impressive. It was good to see him being aggressive, but that doesn't mean he is on a different level than the other GC riders
Not the same being pulling and attacking all the way to the line than being wheelsucking and not giving even a pull. And still Valverde won the sprint.
 
Re:

Fernandez said:
Never seen Valverde so agressive. He tortured everyone of the others contenders today. He looked amazing. Id wish he rode that way many other times. By the way, how many stages could have won Valverde in this Giro so far if Movistar had worked properly? Todays for sure.
He does race like that in small races!
 
Re: Re:

Jagartrott said:
Seeing Zakarin at the head of the chasing group zero times while he had most to gain from getting time back from Brambilla was, well, mindboggling.
This. Certainly not shocking, however.

CheckMyPecs said:
Jagartrott said:
Seeing Zakarin at the head of the chasing group zero times while he had most to gain from getting time back from Brambilla was, well, mindboggling.
Getting the pink jersey right now is probably not his top priority.
Getting the pink jersey is not a priority for someone who has shown exactly zero in a GT so far? That's something you'd say about AC, Froome, Nairo, and the like.
 
Re: Re:

46&twoWheels said:
jaylew said:
[quote="specifically [/i]for GC but I also don't believe he started with no intent of going for GC


once you taste the pink it's hard to simply abandon the fight.
Losing the shirt is good for him
(losing so much time.. on the other hand)

Agreed about tasting pink. And knowing there were 2 TTs before any really hard mountain stages, he knew going in that he'd have a good chance at being in pink at some point and that he wouldn't just give it up. I think he just anticipated how this was likely to play out and wanted to keep everyone's expectations low.
 
Re: Re:

Fernandez said:
More Strides than Rides said:
Fernandez said:
Never seen Valverde so agressive. He tortured everyone of the others contenders today. He looked amazing. Id wish he rode that way many other times. By the way, how many stages could have won Valverde in this Giro so far if Movistar had worked properly? Todays for sure.
Given that he never got a gap except for that first burst, and the group was always large, it wasn't that impressive. It was good to see him being aggressive, but that doesn't mean he is on a different level than the other GC riders
Not the same being pulling and attacking all the way to the line than being wheelsucking and not giving even a pull. And still Valverde won the sprint.
For sure. I was just responding to the "looked amazing...tortured other contenders." comment. He was good, but just good.
 
Re:

HelloDolly said:
So all those making premature predictions about htis Giro must now wonder WTF they were on about

Its still Nibali v Valverde v Landa for me
vs Majka vs Zakarin vs Kurijswijk vs Chaves vs Uran vs Pozzo vs maybe Fuglsang.

They all look strong. It's shaping to be pretty interesting actually.
 
Re: Re:

Nirvana said:
therealthing said:
Nirvana said:
Pancani said that Viviani now is still at 10 kms to go :eek:
Apparently Van Poppel and Filosi are going to be outside the time cut too. That's a bummer for Viviani, be must be ill or something which would explain his sub par performances.
Van Poppel and Filosi passed the line half a minute ago.
Yeah they're nearly an hour back on the winner. Surely outside the limit.
 
Re: Re:

therealthing said:
Nirvana said:
therealthing said:
Nirvana said:
Pancani said that Viviani now is still at 10 kms to go :eek:
Apparently Van Poppel and Filosi are going to be outside the time cut too. That's a bummer for Viviani, be must be ill or something which would explain his sub par performances.
Van Poppel and Filosi passed the line half a minute ago.
Yeah they're nearly an hour back on the winner. Surely outside the limit.
They must have been dropped very early into the stage. Probably on that climb with 66km to go or perhaps even earlier.
 
Re: Re:

PremierAndrew said:
Rollthedice said:
Obviously Dumoulin is not here to win the Giro. He told us this many times.
If Dumoulin was not here to win the Giro, he would not try to chase back after being dropped and use up a ton of energy the day before the long TT, supposedly his main goal for the Giro
Ofcourse he would, he want to get the pink jersey back tomorrow and so limit his loss today.
 
Re: Re:

PremierAndrew said:
Rollthedice said:
Obviously Dumoulin is not here to win the Giro. He told us this many times.
If Dumoulin was not here to win the Giro, he would not try to chase back after being dropped and use up a ton of energy the day before the long TT, supposedly his main goal for the Giro
The leader always defends his jersey, even if it's a lost cause. It's a matter of showing respect for the maglia rosa.
 
Re: Re:

PremierAndrew said:
Rollthedice said:
Obviously Dumoulin is not here to win the Giro. He told us this many times.
If Dumoulin was not here to win the Giro, he would not try to chase back after being dropped and use up a ton of energy the day before the long TT, supposedly his main goal for the Giro
Maybe he did ride within himself and thats why was dropped so early? He also didnt look like he was chasing 100% when crossing the line
 
Re: Re:

carolina said:
PremierAndrew said:
Rollthedice said:
Obviously Dumoulin is not here to win the Giro. He told us this many times.
If Dumoulin was not here to win the Giro, he would not try to chase back after being dropped and use up a ton of energy the day before the long TT, supposedly his main goal for the Giro
The leader always defends his jersey, even if it's a lost cause. It's a matter of showing respect for the maglia rosa.
Then why didn't they chase down the breakaway? Or why didnt he defend the pink in the Netherlands?
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS