• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Giro d'Italia - Stage 9: Chianti ITT, 40.5 km

Page 26 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who is gonna take the jersey?

• Brambilla will keep it

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • Zakarin

Votes: 21 17.2%
  • Kruijswijk

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • Valverde

Votes: 18 14.8%
  • Nibali

Votes: 12 9.8%
  • Chaves

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Uran

Votes: 10 8.2%
  • Domoulin

Votes: 29 23.8%
  • Other

Votes: 5 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A rather crazy stage that seems to have left us with even more GC questions than answers. Hard to take anything much from Nibali and Valverde's solid but unspectacular performances, and Landa's chances have increased considerably, though we still don't know if a great ride yesterday will lead on to great form in the high mountains. Chaves and Zakarin obviously have some work to do now, and Uran was simply woeful; I really can't see him getting close to the podium now.

Great rides by Jungels and Amador, but the ride of the day was Brambilla, a sensational effort to hold onto pink.

Really looking forward to stage 10. Could be the best stage of the entire race. The profile looks very tantalising.

It was a shame about the weather yesterday. The ITT is the one discipline where you don't need inclement weather to encourage great racing and significant time gaps. Yesterday was like qualifying in F1; you more or less just want to see who is the fastest, that is interesting enough in itself. But then on race day you want rain. We didn't get rain on stage 8, but did on stage 9. I'm sure that most fans (apart from Landa fanboys obviously) would have preferred the opposite.

It's interesting that in pretty much any road stage, inclement weather increases the likelihood of bigger time gaps. Whereas in an ITT it appears to work in the opposite way. I don't subscribe to the theory that Landa is great against the clock now, though we don't get anymore flat ITT kms (and in potentially clear weather) during this Giro to test that theory.

Well, friends, the stage is set. Nibali, Landa, Valverde already have a small advantage over the other pre-race podium contenders. After a TdF-like week one bore-fest and no BigMig crushing the field on the ITT, Stage 10 could be an epic one. The main course is about to get served: yummy!

Tonton said:
Well, friends, the stage is set. Nibali, Landa, Valverde already have a small advantage over the other pre-race podium contenders. After a TdF-like week one bore-fest and no BigMig crushing the field on the ITT, Stage 10 could be an epic one. The main course is about to get served: yummy!

I dont quite agree ;) Is it the french crashing out that make you think it has been a borefest so far?

Stages 4, and 6 and 8 were fine. The time trials are what they are. The sprint in Benevento was exciting. The stages in NL obviously were thrash, but no one expected otherwise.

Personally I think it has been above average so far.

May 16, 2016
Visit site
StryderHells said:
Hgriffiths2606 said:
This is sewn up for Landa now I suspect he'll take both the blue and pink jerseys and win 2 stages can't see anything else happening now
Can't see him taking home the blue jersey and this race is far from sewn up
I suspect he will because of the way that he would have to race in order to win it, if he takes 2 summit stars he will likely win it in the same way that Froome did at the Tour last year

May 16, 2016
Visit site
StryderHells said:
Hgriffiths2606 said:
This is sewn up for Landa now I suspect he'll take both the blue and pink jerseys and win 2 stages can't see anything else happening now
And his climbing (illness or other circumstances not taken into account) is far better than Nibles and Bala, he out climbed AC in the final week last year so I think without Injury or illness Landa has to be the strong favourite, what the TT has done is confirmed that it's Nibali vs Bala vs Landa with SK the best of the rest

Geniez DNF is the best thing that could have happened: he'll be fresh in July ;) . Maybe I'm a bit tough, you're right, and I didn't watch the stages live, just post-race videos. Having said that, here we are after a week-plus of racing, and we don't really know who's hot and who's not...

Hgriffiths2606 said:
StryderHells said:
Hgriffiths2606 said:
I suspect he will because of the way that he would have to race in order to win it, if he takes 2 summit stars he will likely win it in the same way that Froome did at the Tour last year
The stage profile's in the Giro lend themselves to a rider who goes out in the breaks taking the Blue home

Hgriffiths2606 said:
StryderHells said:
Hgriffiths2606 said:
And his climbing (illness or other circumstances not taken into account) is far better than Nibles and Bala, he out climbed AC in the final week last year so I think without Injury or illness Landa has to be the strong favourite, what the TT has done is confirmed that it's Nibali vs Bala vs Landa with SK the best of the rest

But last year Contador was holding back for the Tour.

Tonton said:
Geniez DNF is the best thing that could have happened: he'll be fresh in July ;) . Maybe I'm a bit tough, you're right, and I didn't watch the stages live, just post-race videos. Having said that, here we are after a week-plus of racing, and we don't really know who's hot and who's not...

Aaah yes. FDJ might be sneaky good in the mountains this year. ALLEZ THIBAUT?!

And yes, I think you are. The ITT yesterday was the only disappointing stage, the stages which have included obstacles has seen very good racing! :)

TMP402 said:
Hgriffiths2606 said:
StryderHells said:
Hgriffiths2606 said:

But last year Contador was holding back for the Tour.
Was he really? I don't believe that for a second, maybe he prepared a little less for the Giro, but once he races, he races.

Hgriffiths2606 said:
StryderHells said:
Hgriffiths2606 said:
Getting dropped on a small climb is not good for both Nibali & Landa irrespective of Tactical error. Both are not as strong as on paper. But however this Giro looks like it is going to be decided by crashes. Zakarin, Uran gone. The last favorite standing or rather upright may win the Giro.

Re: Re:

Rollthedice said:
hrotha said:
Tsatevich is no doubt gutted that his penalty put an end to his GC ambitions.

There's more. He was kicked out of the Giro. By Katusha.

http://www.teamkatusha.com/news/team-katusha-takes-alexey-tsatevich-out-giro-ditalia
I think this is a right decision. Such blatant cheating has to be punished harder than by a meaningless time penalty.

Let's not forget that it not only benefits the drafter, but also the guy being drafted. Thus it can significantly alter the results of someone who doesn't even try to cheat, but gets an unfair advantage nonetheless.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

Rollthedice said:
hrotha said:
Tsatevich is no doubt gutted that his penalty put an end to his GC ambitions.

There's more. He was kicked out of the Giro. By Katusha.

http://www.teamkatusha.com/news/team-katusha-takes-alexey-tsatevich-out-giro-ditalia
Respect, not many teams would be willing to do that.
On another note, Anton Vorobyev finally rode a good ITT in a gt. Yes, he had way better conditions than the later starters, but the route wasn't perfect from him, a bit too hilly and technical. He was such a beast as an amateur, on of the biggest TT talents of his generation, it's great to see him do well in a gt.

Tonton said:

The stars are really aligned for a great week, culminating in the mountain TT.

- I predict:

Quickstep sending Jungels out in a long attack Tuesday, so they don't have to work all day and might hang on to the jersey.... I doubt Sky, Astana, Moviestar or Tinkoff will spend much reining him back in.
Astana and Moviestar may even send out Fuglsang and Amador early as well, to put pressure on the other GC teams.

Hesjedal, Uran, Pozzovivo, Zakarin (especially) are all in the mix to go out early Tuesday as well, while Chavez, Majka, Valverde, Nibali and Landa, will let their teams work and save strength for the kat. 1.

Wednesday & Thursday is going to be all about Lotto lining up Greibel... Wednesday they will rein in the break-away sooner, because Greibel will struggle on the kat. 4 towards the end... Thursday, it will happen later (both days may change dramatically if it is windy, as the GC then comes into play, but both days are inland, so wind in doubtful).

Friday is when the randoms drop out of the top 15 GC, and we will see those that lost significant time Tuesday, go away on the first kat 1., while the top 10 GC will wait for the last part of the second kat. 1 to make moves.

Saturday is hard to call. It might be a day of truce for the top contenders, if a big break goes away early, especially with the mountain TT looming the next day, however, some in the top 10-20 might have a go here.

if someone wants to become a legend, this is the stage for it.... a good climber/decender could stay away all day.... I just doubt anyone aiming for the podium has the courage, but I hope I am wrong.

Sunday, mountain TT the day before the last rest day.... I predict Landa to storm up this one, closely followed by Majka and Zakarin, with margin to everyone else in the top 15 GC.

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site
I don't get it, was Tsatevich not in communication with his team, either with earphones or the team car, while this was happening? I don't know what is normal protocol for individual time trials in this situation.

Re:

JackRabbitSlims said:
Tsatevich now pulled from the race by Katusha for excessive TT drafting.

Drastic imho.....preemptive move for something more *positive* perhaps :D
It clearly shows the riders mentality. What is not banned is allowed. What does not hamper the main goal is ok. UCi should initiate a ejection of the rider for excessive violation of rules.

TRENDING THREADS