• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Giro Field Discussion

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Zakafroome will be fun to watch but seriously, even with help from Rusvelo it's hard to see him podium. Valverde on the other hand, I think he'll be ready. Lots of opportunities for boni seconds, his quality as an allrounder, experience and a strong team make him number one threat to Nibali.

Many stages in the first couple of weeks are perfect for Valverde. He's also a very reliable TTer, could even win the MTT. Add that some mountain stages in the third week could be cancelled due to bad weather. He has a very good shot at the podium.

Re:

SafeBet said:
Many stages in the first couple of weeks are perfect for Valverde. He's also a very reliable TTer, could even win the MTT. Add that some mountain stages in the third week could be cancelled due to bad weather. He has a very good shot at the podium.

Honestly he could even win the long ITT if Dumoulin has a bad day, has abandoned or whatever, even tho there also are other better than him normally! Especially Nibali on this one.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
SafeBet said:

Honestly he could even win the long ITT if Dumoulin has a bad day, has abandoned or whatever, even tho there also are other better than him normally! Especially Nibali on this one.
I don't think that he'll win it, but the long ITT is great for him (it's also a great ITT for Nibali).
He could win a few stages, there are more than enough opportunities for him.

Mayomaniac said:
Valv.Piti said:
SafeBet said:

I don't think that he'll win it, but the long ITT is great for him (it's also a great ITT for Nibali).
He could win a few stages, there are more than enough opportunities for him.
I dont either, but Valverde does very well in those TT's

Re:

yaco said:
Giro route suits Valverde. Not as hilly as usual with 3 TT is made for his characteristics.
It's way hillier than usual. Don't think I've seen this many medium-mountain/hilly stages in a single Giro. 6 or 7 sprints, 3 mountain stages and 3 TTs. Leaves 7 or 8 hilly stages. Way more than normal. Not sure if three TTs suit him more than one, especially not an MTT and the prologue. I expect him to top-10 and maybe top-5 the hilly/flat one in Tuscany. The others he may lose time on.

Re:

Rollthedice said:
Zakafroome will be fun to watch but seriously, even with help from Rusvelo it's hard to see him podium. Valverde on the other hand, I think he'll be ready. Lots of opportunities for boni seconds, his quality as an allrounder, experience and a strong team make him number one threat to Nibali.
Zakarin never rode GTs for GC. Last year he just wanted to be in good shape for spring week long stage races, this year he wants to reach his peak conditions in the Giro

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

Brullnux said:
yaco said:
Giro route suits Valverde. Not as hilly as usual with 3 TT is made for his characteristics.
It's way hillier than usual. Don't think I've seen this many medium-mountain/hilly stages in a single Giro. 6 or 7 sprints, 3 mountain stages and 3 TTs. Leaves 7 or 8 hilly stages. Way more than normal. Not sure if three TTs suit him more than one, especially not an MTT and the prologue. I expect him to top-10 and maybe top-5 the hilly/flat one in Tuscany. The others he may lose time on.

Loose time to who? Valverde is usually very good prologue rider and top class in MTT. I don't think he'll loose time to anybody in all 3 TT's combine. Maybe to Nibali, but just maybe...

I actually think Valverde is weaker in Prologues or short TTs than longer ones, especially if the long one is hilly. Take the Vuelta last year, it is a long time since I've seen Bala coming 3rd in a prologue in a good field, but he smashed it in a 40km one there. Not sure about MTTs. Can barely remember the last time he was in one.

Edit: Ignoring prologues in Andalucia. I've found two MTTs he was in. A few years back he lost 52 seconds to Wiggins on the Col d'eze. He also lost 50 to Westra. 8th. Another in 2009 in the Vuelta when Lephemer won, with Contador second and Bala 3rd. He was s/t with Bertie, 31 seconds behind Leiphemer. Good performance, but very long ago.

TRENDING THREADS