• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Giro Field Discussion

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

HelloDolly said:
Sure ...Uran has a serious chance to win or at least podium so Vaughters will give them their head ... :rolleyes:

I don't expect Cannondale to allow Formolo or Dombrowski to do very much apart from stick around Uran, get him bottles and be there to give him a wheel. I don't think they'll have them slaving on the front much, because Uran isn't the strongest climber of the favourites. However, what I think a team will do and what I hope they will do are not the same thing. I hope to see young talents like Formolo and Dombrowski allowed to attack, not because I think Uran is terrible or that he shouldn't be counted as a favourite, albeit only with an outside chance, but because I like to see young climbers going up the road.

HelloDolly said:
Gigs_98 said:
Valverde, Nibali and Landa in one giro is really good. Nibali stays my nr. 1 favorite because of the TT's but especially Landa could make this race extremely interesting. Lets hope he doesnt give a f*** about sky's team tactics :D

You mean those tactics that won 3 of the last 4 Tours :rolleyes:

I think Uran should be included in the favourites ....2nd twice (once riding for someone else and the other time with no mountain support while last year he was sick) and he can TT. And now he is with a team that can support him in the mountains ..He is one to watch imo... Just as good a chance as Landa who can't TT or Valverde who is not as good a TTer nor climber

Looking forward also to watching Dumoulin and to see if he can reproduce the performance of the Vuelta
Tactics borrowed from USPS - ie: just have the strongest team. Fine for France in summer, but not for Italian roads and mountains in spring. Wigans showed that.

42x16ss said:
HelloDolly said:
Gigs_98 said:
Valverde, Nibali and Landa in one giro is really good. Nibali stays my nr. 1 favorite because of the TT's but especially Landa could make this race extremely interesting. Lets hope he doesnt give a f*** about sky's team tactics :D

I think Uran should be included in the favourites ....2nd twice (once riding for someone else and the other time with no mountain support while last year he was sick) and he can TT. And now he is with a team that can support him in the mountains ..He is one to watch imo... Just as good a chance as Landa who can't TT or Valverde who is not as good a TTer nor climber

Looking forward also to watching Dumoulin and to see if he can reproduce the performance of the Vuelta
Tactics borrowed from USPS - ie: just have the strongest team. Fine for France in summer, but not for Italian roads and mountains in spring. Wigans showed that.
It worked quite well for Contador in 2008!

Bob Jungels is riding.

Valerio Conti for Lampre. Cattaneo wants to ride, but I don't think that's confirmed.

JJ Rojas for Movistar. Not surprising as Valverde is riding.

Anton for DD is confirmed as has been mentioned. Cunego for Nippo is pretty obvious, although I haven't read a confirmation. I think Poljanski follows Majka wherever. Zardini, Colbrelli, Pirazzi and Bongiorno for Bardiani is pretty much a given, and I guess Boem because of his stage win last year.

HelloDolly said:
Gigs_98 said:

With my comment I didnt want to say that sky's tactics are generally bad but that they are boring and I hope sky wont make Landa a boring racer.

I don't really expect Uran and Dumoulin to podium.
Uran maybe, but he actually disappointed me in the last two years. I think most people will agree with me about last year but I also think his 2014 performance wasnt that good, because the ITT was his only really good stage while he extremely disappointed in the mountains (especially on the stelvio stage and even besides that, I expected him to show a bit more resistance against Quintana)

In Dumoulin's case I think he was a one trick pony in terms of grand tour gc's. Firstly the first week of last years vuelta wasn't ridden very hard and on the short but steep ramps which really suited him he could attack and especially on the first two 3rd category mtf's nobody wanted to respond because they didnt expect him to be a real threat for the final gc. Secondly in the second and by far hardest week he lost some time, but still not too much because the time gaps generally weren't very big and most gc contenders only attacked shortly before the finish. And finally in the last week there was only one stage left in which he could loose a lot of time and in this one stage in which the other riders really had to go all out, they did and Dumoulin completely faded.

I would disagree. First in the TTT. Two riders on the final podium and another in 10th. Stage wins in the mountains by multiple riders. Only team to finish the race with all 9 riders. Winning the team classification. Drilling it on the front, especially on stages 14 and 15. Seems pretty similar to me.

But they won mostly because they had the best rider in Basso. Wiggins was not the best rider during his failed attempt. The tactics were not what cost SKY IMO.

Re:

djpbaltimore said:
I would disagree. First in the TTT. Two riders on the final podium and another in 10th. Stage wins in the mountains by multiple riders. Only team to finish the race with all 9 riders. Winning the team classification. Drilling it on the front, especially on stages 14 and 15. Seems pretty similar to me.

But they won mostly because they had the best rider in Basso. Wiggins was not the best rider during his failed attempt. The tactics were not what cost SKY IMO.

But the liquigas tactics were almost the polar opposite from SKY. That Giro was one of the most exciting in recent times. Any SKY/USPS grand tour has never been even close to as exciting.

I agree though, ofc, that Liquigas were the strongest team. They just made it exciting with the strength. Obviously the course helped, but Liquigas did a good job.

Re:

Flamin said:
<--- this guy will also race.

That looks like Tim Wellens. Lets hope he will.. ehm.. show himself a little more in the Giro than last year's Tour!

Looking forward to Jungels. Read an interview with him, said that he doesnt necessarily wanna ride the GC, but he has shown that he can climb and he well definitely test himself. In the future, on a rather TT-heavy route, he could be up there.

damian13ster said:
Not sure how much truth there is to it, but Wadecki said that CCC didn't request a wild card to Giro.
Could also be just hurt pride talking as well but it seems plausible
Not at all for me. There's zero chance they get a Tour wildcard and the Vuelta ain't no gt on the level of the Giro. Although De la Parte is Spanish and Rebellin could train for the Italian fall classics.

But I'm open to surprises ofc after the Gazprom invite. So who knows.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
It should be an awesome Giro, the estblished start who has already won multiple gts vs. the awesome mountain goat vs the new Russian sensation, that sounds familiar, right? :D

Meanwhile, we already know many of the route changes RCS always do during winter (from Mauro Facoltosi and the Cicloweb forum).

I'll start with the bad news:
- In the stage to Roccaraso, the first small climb has been dropped.
- In the stage to Arezzo, same thing, first climb dropped (not the sterrato one, the easy one that was coming before it). Another very easy climb replaces it.

Good news:
- The stage to Asolo has been lengthened to almost 230 kms, including another small climb, as well as some tricky terrain, in the finale.
- The stage to Pinerolo is officially awesome, as they will include the wall of Via Principi d'Acaja (5-600m at well over 10% average, cobbled) twice, one before Pramartino and one before the finish, at approx. 2 kms to go. You can find it on Street View.

Irrelevant changes in a few other stages.

TRENDING THREADS