• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Giro Field Discussion

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Ryo Hazuki said:
Laplaz said:
Jungels could do quite good in GC because of the TT...
lol :eek:

Do you have to be super judgmental in all your posts? I can't see why Jungels shouldn't be able to ride for a top-10 considering the relatively mediocre riders who have gotten a top-10 the last couple of years...

I was at Pra Martino in 2011 when they climbed it from the other side. Beautiful place, but I didn't get to climb it from the hard side they are ascending this year unfortunately. Overall, good changes IMO.

Re:

togo95 said:
Thanks Eshnar, where did you get the news from? Is there anywhere I could see what the new routes are?
As I said, from forum.cicloweb.it and Mauro Facoltosi (he has another forum). The new profiles are only on local newspapers as of now.
We only have the one of Roccaraso, of the 4 mentioned
news71280.jpg

Eshnar said:
togo95 said:
Thanks Eshnar, where did you get the news from? Is there anywhere I could see what the new routes are?
As I said, from forum.cicloweb.it and Mauro Facoltosi (he has another forum). The new profiles are only on local newspapers as of now.
news71280.jpg

Thanks! Is there a place where all Giro climbs of 2016 are gathered?

Rollthedice: Whether Nibali-fan, Landa-fan or fan of no one, we can only hope Landa at least try to make it a nightmare for Nibs! This race has the ingredients to be great.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Eshnar said:
Meanwhile, we already know many of the route changes RCS always do during winter (from Mauro Facoltosi and the Cicloweb forum).

I'll start with the bad news:
- In the stage to Roccaraso, the first small climb has been dropped.
- In the stage to Arezzo, same thing, first climb dropped (not the sterrato one, the easy one that was coming before it). Another very easy climb replaces it.

Good news:
- The stage to Asolo has been lengthened to almost 230 kms, including another small climb, as well as some tricky terrain, in the finale.
- The stage to Pinerolo is officially awesome, as they will include the wall of Via Principi d'Acaja (5-600m at well over 10% average, cobbled) twice, one before Pramartino and one before the finish, at approx. 2 kms to go. You can find it on Street View.

Irrelevant changes in a few other stages.
Via Principi d'Acaja could be interesting:
giro.png

Any news about Scarponi? He broke his collarbone in Tirreno-Adriatico, but he should be back on his bike before the start of the Giro, right?

Valv.Piti said:
Eshnar said:
togo95 said:
news71280.jpg

Thanks! Is there a place where all Giro climbs of 2016 are gathered?

Rollthedice: Whether Nibali-fan, Landa-fan or fan of no one, we can only hope Landa at least try to make it a nightmare for Nibs! This race has the ingredients to be great.

Totally agree, can't wait!

I don't really care about the change in the Roccaraso stage, because the climb probably wouldnt have changed a lot anyway. The change in the Arezzo stage however is really lame, but is there maybe a chance they changed the complete stage and the new first climb comes directly before the sterrato climb? Because in the original route, there was a useless loop before the final climb.

The good news however is really nice. Especially the cobbled ascent in the Pinerolo stage should be great.
Seriously, if Landa arrives in good shape this could be such an extremely epic race. It clearly has the potential to be better than last year.

Gigs_98 said:
I don't really care about the change in the Roccaraso stage, because the climb probably wouldnt have changed a lot anyway. The change in the Arezzo stage however is really lame, but is there maybe a chance they changed the complete stage and the new first climb comes directly before the sterrato climb? Because in the original route, there was a useless loop before the final climb.

The good news however is really nice. Especially the cobbled ascent in the Pinerolo stage should be great.
Seriously, if Landa arrives in good shape this could be such an extremely epic race. It clearly has the potential to be better than last year.

Agreed.

Astana Pro Team
31 NIBALI, Vincenzo
32 AGNOLI, Valerio
33 CAPECCHI, Eros
34 FUGLSANG, Jakob
35 GRIVKO, Andrei
36 KOZHATAYEV, Bakhtiyar
37 SCARPONI, Michele
38 SMUKULIS, Gatis

During Tirreno it was said that the Astana rider who where there would also do il Giro. Malacarne will be the 9th rider. If Vanotti gets healthy before the start he'll most likely replace Smukulis.

Re:

Billie said:
Astana Pro Team
31 NIBALI, Vincenzo
32 AGNOLI, Valerio
33 CAPECCHI, Eros
34 FUGLSANG, Jakob
35 GRIVKO, Andrei
36 KOZHATAYEV, Bakhtiyar
37 SCARPONI, Michele
38 SMUKULIS, Gatis

During Tirreno it was said that the Astana rider who where there would also do il Giro. Malacarne will be the 9th rider. If Vanotti gets healthy before the start he'll most likely replace Smukulis.
Fair enough. I'll add it to the OP

TRENDING THREADS