• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Giro Field Discussion

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Also the finale of stage 4 is interesting, probably a bit different wrt what was presented
prova-2.jpg

Max Rockatansky said:
Eshnar said:
- The stage to Pinerolo is officially awesome, as they will include the wall of Via Principi d'Acaja (5-600m at well over 10% average, cobbled) twice, one before Pramartino and one before the finish, at approx. 2 kms to go. You can find it on Street View.

CfYtSefWQAArGQr.jpg

CfYqNOFWAAAFEBa.jpg

CfYqLUYW8AAjAsr.jpg

Ouch. :cool:

When I see this kind of pictures I start to w...I dont want to be banned... :p

Amazing race.

Nibali is the favourite, Valverde depends on the weather, but of course he can win. For Dumoulin is a hard race, but he has two weeks to get time (if he start to race well now, other way impossible). and I always expect the best for Urán, who has a Giro in his legs, but when he was good he started working for Wiggins and losing time for that, the horrible weather, the elimination of the queen stage, the and the very strong Nibali wa make that impossible.

And of course Landa, if he is inspired and he get the queen stages with no much time lost by incients, he can change everything in just 2 stages.

Pozzovivo will be a good contender, he was very strong last year, a pity his crash (he need good weather as Valverde). Similar Chaves, but some stages are difficult for them. And Majka has a good oportunity, but I dont expect a lot of him

Gigs_98 said:
Am I the only one who thinks they only made the finish to the asolo stage worse?
Compare the new finish to this one:
t11_asolo_alt_670.jpg

The finish is basically the same with the only difference that there is now some flat before the final bump.
well, the flat is not really flat. Quite the opposite. Ofc it's not a stage that will see the gc guys attacking or aything, but for the stage hunters it won't matter. For us, it should mean 20 kms of fun instead of 10.

I prefer the new one, like this there is more chance of sprinters getting dropped if it is 20km of intense riding rather than 10, especially over rolling terrain.

@valv_piti this is a harder finish than MSR. The Forcella is at over 8% peaking at 16%, quite a bit harder than Cipressa. The last climb is a bit like a short version of the Poggio, but before that we have rolling terrain rather than flat.

Btw, I have to mention that with the colorful categorizations you really start to see the real beauty of some of these profiles
PW_T14_Corvara_alt.jpg

PW_T13_Cividale_alt.jpg

Btw, we should pray for rain for the cividale stage, because the descents will be extremely difficult. If the gc is close this might be one of the crucial stages for Nibali.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
What do you mean, colorful categorisations? Anyways, I just noticed stage 13-20 are all very GC-relevant stages, apart from one sprinter stage. I would've liked a little more challenges early on, but that week really looks epic.
Before today all the signs for the categorized climbs were blue and somehow I always really like it when I see which categorizations climbs really get at the end. For example when I see a red GPM in a giro stage I automatically get more interested for the stage because I know there is a 1st category climb in it. I can't say why but I just like it.

Eshnar said:
There's no need of rain. The descents will be selective no matter what.
Yeah you are probably right but I just love Giro stages on steep climbs on narrow roads in the middle of the wood and if it rains it gives such stages even more giro atmosphere. Objectively however rain would probably be too dangerous to be happy about it.

Re: Re:

Eshnar said:
Billie said:
Astana Pro Team
31 NIBALI, Vincenzo
32 AGNOLI, Valerio
33 CAPECCHI, Eros
34 FUGLSANG, Jakob
35 GRIVKO, Andrei
36 KOZHATAYEV, Bakhtiyar
37 SCARPONI, Michele
38 SMUKULIS, Gatis

During Tirreno it was said that the Astana rider who where there would also do il Giro. Malacarne will be the 9th rider. If Vanotti gets healthy before the start he'll most likely replace Smukulis.
Fair enough. I'll add it to the OP

Gazetto says it'll be:

Nibali
Agnoli
Malacarne
Capecchi
Kangert
Kozhatayev
Scarponi
Zeits
Fuglsang

Vanotti will return to racing at the Tour of Croatia and will try to make the Tour team.

TRENDING THREADS