• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Giro Field Discussion

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Gigs_98 said:
Btw Eshnar, are there no rumors for 2017 yet?
Last year the rumour thread started in February and next year will be the 100th edition so one might think that the number of rumours at this point is above average (also because you even already mentioned some rumors for 2017 in 2015) ;)
ofc there are rumours, but I don't wanna spoil anything yet :cool: The thread will start once this edition is over

Eshnar said:
Gigs_98 said:
Last year the rumour thread started in February and next year will be the 100th edition so one might think that the number of rumours at this point is above average (also because you even already mentioned some rumors for 2017 in 2015) ;)
ofc there are rumours, but I don't wanna spoil anything yet :cool: The thread will start once this edition is over

Fill us in on the most important!

Eshnar said:
Gigs_98 said:
Do any of these rumours include an old-fashioned 280km mountain stage? ;)

I think I am sure of one thing: it will finish in Milan

Valv.Piti said:
Eshnar said:
Gigs_98 said:

Fill us in on the most important!
Right now the only rumour I give any importance to, is the starting place. Which will most probably be Sardinia. Either that or (less likely) Sicily.

Brullnux said:
I think I am sure of one thing: it will finish in Milan
I would say so, but not 100% sure

Eshnar said:
Gigs_98 said:

Last year I went a little crazy on the Giro starting in the Netherlands, IIRC the rumors on the Italian stages started a bit later

Re:

staubsauger said:
Lienz is about to host a Giro start and / or finish in 2017. That's what I read at ORF.at last fall!
Didnt they just say that they want to host one giro stage?
Edit: Okay forget what I wrote this is actually quite interesting
http://www.kleinezeitung.at/k/kaernten/osttirol/peak_osttirol/4918901/Lienz_Keine-RadWeltmeisterschaft-in-Osttirol
This article is about the boss of the Lienz tourism association, Franz Theurl, and its mainly about the fact that he is sad the WC 2018 will be in Innsbruck and not in Lienz but he also says that instead East Tyrol (the area around Lienz) will host a stage in the giro del trentino 2016 and in the giro d italia 2017 and that this giro organizers have already agreed about his offer, and now its only important if the Tyrolean government is willing to pay for the organization.
What really makes this article interesting is that it was published before the Trentino route for this year was announced which gives the whole story a lot more credibility.

Disappointing that Ruben Fernandez doesn't seem to go. Jose Herrada, Visconti and Amador as the climbers, along with Rojas and Moreno. That's pretty weak and coulda been better, but I guess they value the flatmen quite a lot which you can't fault them for.

Re: Re:

Eshnar said:
Netserk said:
So Pozzovivo will get number 1 again? I don't like it being given out based on team name. It'd be better to give it to the oldest past winner like in the past.
Scarponi? Not great to have a domestique as #1
Imaging if a team like DD had a name that was alphabetically the first, surely that would be much worse? I know giving it to Pozzo makes it less bad, but it is still a bad method.

If the defending champion isn't present, then either give it to:
Oldest past winner.
First past winner.
World champion.
Team of the defending champion.

Scarponi (or Hesjedal, if you don't consider Scarponi a real winner), Cunego or Majka would all be more worthy of number 1 than Pozzovivo.

But whatever. It's nothing important, but it does bother me (though not nearly as much as the 'new' jersey colors, ugh).

Eshnar said:
Netserk said:
So Pozzovivo will get number 1 again? I don't like it being given out based on team name. It'd be better to give it to the oldest past winner like in the past.

I thought it was usually last year's winner or, if he's not in the race, either the captain on the team for last years winner, or whoever was placed highest last year.
Meaning that either Majka would get it as the captain on Tinkoff, or Landa would get it since he was the one in who placed highest last year (excluding Contador and Aru who aren't riding)

RedheadDane said:
Eshnar said:
Netserk said:

I thought it was usually last year's winner or, if he's not in the race, either the captain on the team for last years winner, or whoever was placed highest last year.
Meaning that either Majka would get it as the captain on Tinkoff, or Landa would get it since he was the one in who placed highest last year (excluding Contador and Aru who aren't riding)

I remember in the Vuelta 2014, Conti had #1 after Horner, I didnt applaud that too much, but at the end of the day, it doesnt really matter. Landa or Majka would have been better than Pozzovivo, but then again...

Most recent winner or leader of the most recent winner's team would make sense as no. 1 to me.

Anyway more importantly... :p

KRUIJSWIJK vs TXURRUKA vs PIRAZZI vs DE MARCHI vs someone from GAZPROM who loses 10 mins in a flat stage but turns out to climb like Pantani reincarnated, for the Mountain's Jersey.

Hoping we get a great fight! :D

Re:

del1962 said:
Shouldn't Landa get number 1? As he was highest placed finisher last year of those starting?
I don't think the Giro has ever done it like that (at least not while I've followed it).

2015: Pozzo because of team name
2014: Scarponi because of team of last year's winner
2013: Hesjedal because he was defending champion
2012: Scarponi because he was (officially) defending champion
2011: Garzelli because he was the oldest/first Giro winner
2010: Evans because he was world champion
2009: Garzelli because he was the oldest/first Giro winner
2008: Di Luca because he was defending champion
2007: Bettini because he was world champion
2006: Savoldelli because he was defending champion
2005: Cunego because he was defending champion
2004: Simoni because he was defending champion

(Reasons other than defending champion in bold)

They should do the Formula One thing and not have a number 1 jersey if the defending champion doesn't show up, the leader of last year's winning team (ie Majka this year) would wear 0 instead.

Should be an interesting race - Nibali vs Valverde vs Landa vs Majka vs Dumoulin, plus inevitable unforeseen riders who suddenly start climbing like gods in week 3...

TRENDING THREADS