• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Giro Field Discussion

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
trevim said:
I'm no fan of Hesjedal but his team for the Giro is beyond ridiculous. I know he doesn't use a train on the mountains but sending Didier and Zoidl as mountain support is just a disgrace and lack of respect to a former winner of the race, with all the respect to those two riders who are very decent domestiques but no high mountains climbers.

Trek have no climbing domestiques. With Schleck injured and Mollema not elligible, the only other climbers on the team would be Stetina, Arredondo and Zubeldia. It's probably too early for Stetina, Arredondo only rides for Team Arredondo and Zubeldia can't really be considered a domestique either.

I think neo pro Julien Bernard is a climber too, but he is probably not ready for the Giro either.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
TMP402 said:
trevim said:
I'm no fan of Hesjedal but his team for the Giro is beyond ridiculous. I know he doesn't use a train on the mountains but sending Didier and Zoidl as mountain support is just a disgrace and lack of respect to a former winner of the race, with all the respect to those two riders who are very decent domestiques but no high mountains climbers.

Hesjedal DNF Romandie today. Don't know if that was always the plan or if he's injured.

They said they didn't want to take any risks because of the weather....

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Eshnar said:
No Gilbert? :(
Yeah, he still has problems with his Fingers.
I kinda feel sorry for Senni, the guy was a great climbing prospect and his best result at BMC is a 19th place on gc in California.
Trek are realy clueless when it comes to Bobridge, the guy is only good in the heat and what are his first races in Europe? LBL, Romandie and the Giro, apparently they haven't learned form JV's mistakes.

Re:

staubsauger said:
Ain't Schleck injured?

Sky's 9th man seems to be a pure mystery. There ain't no single hint whether they shift Kennaugh or Nieve or fill the team with Moscon or Nordhaug.

My bet would be Moscon, though.

If google translation is accurate then according to his twitter, Nieve has accepted a late call up to the Giro. Great news for Landa.

Re: Re:

JRanton said:
staubsauger said:
Ain't Schleck injured?

Sky's 9th man seems to be a pure mystery. There ain't no single hint whether they shift Kennaugh or Nieve or fill the team with Moscon or Nordhaug.

If google translation is accurate then according to his twitter, Nieve has accepted a late call up to the Giro. Great news for Landa.
Great news for cycling, pal. Great news for cycling!- :cool:

Re: Re:

staubsauger said:
JRanton said:
staubsauger said:
Ain't Schleck injured?

Great news for cycling, pal. Great news for cycling!- :cool:

Landa deserves it for sure. Nieve is a trooper. 2nd consecutive year he has stepped in at the last minute to ride the Giro.

Re:

Alexandre B. said:
BMC Racing :
Darwin Atapuma (COL)
Alessandro De Marchi (ITA)
Silvan Dillier (SUI)
Stefan Küng (SUI)
Daniel Oss (ITA)
Manuel Quinziato (ITA)
Joey Rosskopf (USA)
Manuel Senni (ITA)
Rick Zabel (GER)

Stage hunting team.

Surely they could have sent Caruso (8th last year) or even Sanchez to have a go at the GC?

Re:

valentius borealis said:
I'm not sure if this has been posted, came up on my facebook feed about an hour ago.

Orica GreenEDGE:
Sam Bewley(NZL)
Esteban Chaves(COL)
Caleb Ewan(AUS)
Michael Hepburn(AUS)
Damien Howson(AUS)
Luka Mezgec(SLO)
Ruben Plaza(ESP)
Svein Tuft(CAN)
Amets Txurruka(ESP)
I'm interested to see how much Howson developed. Unlike Hepburn and Durbridge, he has been posting some quiet but solid results in some climbs.

Re:

valentius borealis said:
I'm not sure if this has been posted, came up on my facebook feed about an hour ago.

Orica GreenEDGE:
Sam Bewley(NZL)
Esteban Chaves(COL)
Caleb Ewan(AUS)
Michael Hepburn(AUS)
Damien Howson(AUS)
Luka Mezgec(SLO)
Ruben Plaza(ESP)
Svein Tuft(CAN)
Amets Txurruka(ESP)

A solid squad - Have no idea how Chavez will go in GC - Little exposed form and the parcours is unsuitable - Ewan should win a stage.

Suspect OGE will really go stage hunting at the TDF.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Rollthedice said:
Astana:

Nibali
Agnoli
Capecchi
Fuglsang
Kangert
Kozhatayev
Malacarne
Scarponi
Zeits
No surpises.
From what 've heard Nibali is quite fond of Kozhatayev, the guy was a really good U23 rider and riding your first GT as a domestique for a multiple gt winner should be a great learning experience.
It's a strong team, great climbers and more than enough strongman to protect them on the flat stages,

Davide Bramati:
We are motivated to help Kittel win a stage

A stage. A single stage. I'm pretty sure the fastest sprinter in the world will win a stage in the flattest country in the world (sorry Netherlands, I know that's a hyperbole and there are climbs in the region, shame they weren't used much), barring any massive accidents/Etixx returning to Omloop style.

One stage. I think we can say goodbye to him first rest day after that win.

TRENDING THREADS