• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Giro stage 1: Apeldoorn - Apeldoorn, 9.8 km ITT

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who is gonna win stage 1?

• Kung

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • Jungels

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • Dumoulin

Votes: 41 38.3%
  • Cancellara

Votes: 40 37.4%
  • Van Emden

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other

Votes: 8 7.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re:

Mayomaniac said:
The official start order: http://media2.gazzetta.it/gazzetta/pdf/2016/Ordine_partenza_atleti.pdf
Edit: having the start of the opening ITT in a velodrome is great.
20160505_132137_670.jpg
I wonder if the seats there are always pink :confused:
Anyway, great start indeed.

I am surprised is more hot today in that city in Netherlands than here in Burgos in Spain.

http://www.foreca.es/South-Africa/Orange-Free-State/Appeldoorn/10-day-forecast?date=2016-05-06

The wind will be better for the last riders...Most of favourites will start at the end, but some riders like Taaramae, Kangert, Peraud,and especially Hesjedal will do it at the begining.

If Cancellara feels better today, he has more time to recover as he start at the end, and it is even possible that in those 15 minutes he start after Dumoulin the wind will change...So he could have still one chance...

Anyway the wind is soft and in a city with the crowd is no important...But it is not the same a little wind headwind than tailwind if sometimes you note it.

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Taxus4a said:
I am surprised is more hot today in that city in Netherlands than here in Burgos in Spain.

http://www.foreca.es/South-Africa/Orange-Free-State/Appeldoorn/10-day-forecast?date=2016-05-06

The wind will be better for the last riders...Most of favourites will start at the end, but some riders like Taaramae, Kangert, Peraud,and especially Hesjedal will do it at the begining.

If Cancellara feels better today, he has more time to recover as he start at the end, and it is even possible that in those 15 minutes he start after Dumoulin the wind will change...So he could have still one chance...

Anyway the wind is soft and in a city with the crowd is no important...But it is not the same a little wind headwind than tailwind if sometimes you note it.

That's not Apeldoorn, that's "Appeldoorn" in South-Africa. Not that it matters much, here is the weather for Apeldoorn in The Netherlands.

Re: Re:

WillemS said:
Taxus4a said:

That's not Apeldoorn, that's "Appeldoorn" in South-Africa. Not that it matters much, here is the weather for Apeldoorn in The Netherlands.

Sorry, thanks :p :p I am going to edit... there was some cityss withsimilar names in south Africa, and I thouth thi one was in Netherlands...iam goint to edit

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
SeriousSam said:
I hope Cancellara has recovered. Otherwise, well,

asterisk_operator_u2217_icon_256x256.png

Same with Froome's victory in the tour last year, Contador and Landa rode the giro after all.

Quintana's victory in the giro too, purito crashed.

Hayman's victory too, canc crashed out.

We could go on...

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Good points. Context always matters, to focus only on the binary variable of whether someone won or not is to throw away essential information.

Re:

Red Rick said:
Btw, is who's going to Apeldoorn if I may ask?

Still in doubt.
Just woke up (got a nightshift tonight) and I'm still not sure wether I'll go. When I go then I go alone, which is allready less appealing, but then again they don't come to The Netherlands too often.
I better make up my mind though. Still need an fat hour to drive , park, walk... Probably takes 2 hours to reach the circuit which by then is allready crowded and I don't feel like standing 3rd row :/

Van Emden doesn't believe much of Cancellara flu. Expects he's just playing mindgames :)

Cancellara better not be messing with me, because I removed him from my Giro team once I knew he had the flu. I counted on him getting pink and carrying it a few days. Some stages he's also capable of winning, but mostly the TT and first days pink were the reason to pick him.
If he's really been ill then he can never win today.

jens_attacks said:
RedheadDane said:
SeriousSam said:
Now that Cancellara has been struck by illness, Dumoulin will probably win, but it will be an asterisked victory

Pretty sure it doesn't make it an asterisked win simply because another favourite was sick. Damn bad lack for the sick guy, yes, but nothing that means the guy who ended up winning didn't actually earn it.

no, i'm pretty sure that the uci officials put an asterisk when this happens.

better than ASO who would neutralise the race for Cancellara

TRENDING THREADS