• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Kuurne Brussel Kuurne, Feb. 28th, 200.7 km 1 HC UCI

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Stuyven may have won yesterday if he didn't fall, when chasing the leading group. Peloton making the same mistake of having an obsession with not catching breakaways until within the last 10km. Seriously when the peleton is within 30-35 seconds within15km they should always catch the breakaway/

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Nice to see Stuyven developing and getting a big win like this now.

Belgium will rule the classics for all eternity, now with Stuyven and Benoot in the coming years :p

Re:

Maaaaaaaarten said:

Belgium will rule the classics for all eternity, now with Stuyven and Benoot in the coming years :p

Not quite sure Stefan Küng will agree.

I reckon he will be a future star in the classics as well when he switches fully to the road.

Re: Re:

Bushman said:
Maaaaaaaarten said:

I reckon he will be a future star in the classics as well when he switches fully to the road.
Küng's future will depend on professional guide through the road racing, I'd say.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site

Bushman said:

Küng is a great prospect indeed, but he still has to prove himself. He's young, so it's only natural, but Benoot and now also Stuyven have already proved themselves in classics. Gougeard as well by the way. Also, Senechal got amazing results as a neo pro, but he needs to find a better team.

Maaaaaaaarten said:
Bushman said:

Küng is a great prospect indeed, but he still has to prove himself. He's young, so it's only natural, but Benoot and now also Stuyven have already proved themselves in classics. Gougeard as well by the way. Also, Senechal got amazing results as a neo pro, but he needs to find a better team.
Gianni Moscon seems like one to be watched as well now already!

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Akuryo said:
"I'd rather watch paint dry"? This was actually a good race. Lots of action and a very deserved winner in the end. Congrats Jasper :)

That's why I keep watching even when the odds are low. :D

Always hoping for an epic race out of something that was supposed to be very boring.

i-am-tired-of-being-proven-wrong-everytime-2.png

TommyGun said:
Really great opening weekend, with long range attacks and voluntary riders!! Hopefully it is a sign of the spirit of the rest of the season...
Yes! I love that the opening weekend saw winners come from attacks because now that "I can get away and win" thought is in everyone's head! I'm excited for some more good spring racing!

Cancellara should be happy with his team, they all seem to have stepped up a notch: Theuns as regular as usual, Stuyven definitely two steps ahead of last season (going in moves with Sagan and stuff), Bonifazio also good. Add the experience and class of Rast and Devolder and he'll have one of the best teams, probably only worse than BMC and Quickstep.

Unreal by Stuyven. I was like wtf is happening. Most of the day in the break, multiple attacks .. then holds off GVA, Boonen and co for 40+k. Not to mention the combined forces of LS, OGE and the rest of the peloton. As I said, unreal. Almost pissed me off thb. :eek:

Epic ride.

P.S props to Van Poppel setting things up beautifully!

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Anderis said:
Carstenbf said:
P.S props to Van Poppel setting things up beautifully!
Yeah. I've once read an opinion that he was in WT only because of his brother. I find it unfair. He proved to be a great team-mate today.

Epic ride by Jasper and BVP... BVP has proven multiple times he belongs as a WT rider, sure not one who is going to get a great result, but a fantastic leadout man, strong enough for the cobbles and smart.

I make no apologies for being a Trek fanboy, but I have always loved Jasper, praying for him to make a nice result and now he has. He has arrived and is in a good spot to be a leader in the northern classics. However there is one problem... He isn't Italian, and now that he is getting results, Luca will see that he finds a way to not sign him ala Jungles and DVP. For whatever reason he is attached to Nizzolo, who again this year has proven he is not strong enough for the hard races, and doesn't have the sense or ability to take a hard sprint win.

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site

Bushman said:
Maaaaaaaarten said:

If OGE stop stalling Luke Durbridge's career and make him something more than a whipping boy for Simon Gerrans and Caleb Ewan, then he would have a say about it too. Potentially Michael Hepburn as well. Although he's probably more suited to the Ardennes.

Great race and great weekend. I only got a chance to catch up on the action properly this morning.

Great solo break by Stuyven. Similar to Vakoc helping Stybar's prospects this coming week, I think having a guy like Stuyven will really help Cancellara as the cobbled season progresses. Particularly at this stage of Fab's career, when he can't outmuscle the opposition like in 2013. He will have to use his smarts. And his team mates.

Sasquatch said:
Bushman said:
Maaaaaaaarten said:

If OGE stop stalling Luke Durbridge's career and make him something more than a whipping boy for Simon Gerrans and Caleb Ewan, then he would have a say about it too. Potentially Michael Hepburn as well. Although he's probably more suited to the Ardennes.

Hepburn a classics star? Cant see it happening at all. Durbridge surely has some potential but hasnt proven enough. Domestique duties or not.

TRENDING THREADS