• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 La Flèche Wallonne - April 20th - 196k

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will conquer the Mur?

• Joaquim Rodriguez

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Dan Martin

Votes: 14 14.4%
  • Alejandro Valverde

Votes: 45 46.4%
  • Daniel Moreno

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Philippe Gilbert

• Sergio Henao

Votes: 20 20.6%
  • Michael Albasini

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Julian Alaphilippe

Votes: 11 11.3%
  • Enrico Gasparotto

• Other (say below)

Votes: 3 3.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Gigs_98 said:
It's strange, cherave is a far more difficult climb than the penultimate one in AGR but still Wellens was able to ride into the Cauberg with a 10 seconds advantage or so. No doubt in FW a solo win is even more unlikely because the finale is harder but I just don't get why the break didnt even get to the start of the ascent.

Before the Cauberg you have a few half-dead domestiques pulling

Before the Mur you have a full peloton preparing a bunch sprint

Re:

Jagartrott said:
Why did no-one go with Wellens?
Guys like Costa, Kelderman, Barguil. Now they end 10th or worse. Only 4-5 guys can realistically win from a peloton arriving at the foot of the Mur, so all those others guys (and teams) should try something else.

I know right? So many riders that have a shot, but don't even dare to fire it.
Wellens announces it beforehand, hoping someone has the balls....

Re:

Bye Bye Bicycle said:
This used to be at least an action-packed last km. Now we barely get exciting final 300m (not that any race with Valv.Piti winning could ever be exciting). This race needs some change soon or people will stop caring about it.

Valverde in the Ardennes is horrible indeed. I like him in the smaller races, but I despise him during the Ardennes. He's one of the main reasons everybody waits these days, allthough you can not blame him for that.

Re: Re:

Kwibus said:
Bye Bye Bicycle said:
This used to be at least an action-packed last km. Now we barely get exciting final 300m (not that any race with Valv.Piti winning could ever be exciting). This race needs some change soon or people will stop caring about it.

Valverde in the Ardennes is horrible indeed. I like him in the smaller races, but I despise him during the Ardennes. He's one of the main reasons everybody waits these days, allthough you can not blame him for that.
Kinda weird tho. Everyone knows they can't outsprint him. He's the only who shouldn't be attacking imo.

Valverde was in complete control. No one even threathened his victory.

I don't understand the riders that don't have a single chance of winning if they leave it to the last kilometer, and don't try a single thing during the race. They don't use the Côte de Cherave to attack or use their domestiques to make the race hard since the beginning.

Re:

Jagartrott said:
Why did no-one go with Wellens?
Guys like Costa, Kelderman, Barguil. Now they end 10th or worse. Only 4-5 guys can realistically win from a peloton arriving at the foot of the Mur, so all those others guys (and teams) should try something else.
https://twitter.com/RuiCostaCyclist/status/722804009363496960

Costa was fully aware that the climb didn't suit him (he's done FW plenty of times already, after all). He was still quite content with riding for a top 10, former world champion and all.

Zinoviev Letter said:
Mayomaniac said:
Valv.Piti said:
TMobile41 said:
I wont even bother to watch it on youtube... :eek:

If there's one race for the youtube-generation, its F-W
Exactly, the modern F-W is the polar opposite of real racing, it's the epitomy of Youtube-cycling.

Fleche Wallone is great as it is, the all in puncheur-uphill finish championship of the world. All of the best puncheurs, all in peak condition, one wall, let's see who is top dog. It serves a purpose. The hilly riders love it and place a high value on it and we should too.

Even if we could bring back more uncontrolled and less conservative racing generally, something I'd like as much as everyone else, FW should stay as it is. It's the one race that should be like this.
Well said. I agree with everything you wrote.

I don't understand the bashing against Valverde.

The fault this race is unbearable to watch is of the rest of the peloton that don't try anything even though they know they are going to get killed (brave exception - Wellens).

They are courage-less cattle. But Valverde...Valverde is just the farmer that methodically cuts their head and serves the fillets in the restaurant.

Re:

Red Rick said:
Valverde isn't the problem. He does what he needs to do to get the best chance of winning.

All the others, who willingly ride with him to the finish, are the problem

Completely agree. Read a lot the last week how the dull racing in the Ardennes is all blamed on Gerrans and Valverde. Those two are the ones that can not be blamed imo. Everyone starting knows that if they get into the final km with one of them or both there is almost zero percent of beating them. Still many many riders especially team leaders, last couple years had no problem whatsoever to just follow follow follow instead of trying to getting away from Gerrans and Valverde before the final km which is how they can win.

You cannot blame dull racing on those who don't need to ride aggressively to win. It's those that cannot win by being passive but still are that are to be blamed.

KyoGrey said:

The fault this race is unbearable to watch is of the rest of the peloton that don't try anything even though they know they are going to get killed (brave exception - Wellens).

They are courage-less cattle. But Valverde...Valverde is just the farmer that methodically cuts their head and serves the fillets in the restaurant.

Mind if I use your quote in my avatar? That last paragraph is great.

Valv.Piti said:
KyoGrey said:

Of course you can!

KyoGrey said:
Valv.Piti said:
KyoGrey said:

Of course you can!
Muchas gracias!

Valv.Piti said:
KyoGrey said:
Valv.Piti said:
KyoGrey said:

Of course you can!
Muchas gracias!

¡De nada! Lets hope we see him opening the slaughterhouse in Liège :D

KyoGrey said:

Yeah, I understand the "hate" going on for Valverde/Gerrans types from a sports fan POV. I mean, I'd like to see Roubaix 2016 every week or so. But really, they play to their advantages and those are a huge kick on these explosive sorts of climbs/selective sprints. They're in it to win it. And they often do. That's the reason I do believe Gerrans' wins are completely deserved no matter how reviled he seems to be. It's the same reason Spartacus attacks from 10 to 20k out on classics. Same reason Froome goes midway through long grind climbs. Same reason Cav goes 100 m out. It's what they're good at and their teams will always try to put them in that particular position.

Take your average top 10 placer like Costa (disclaimer, I'm a supporter). He's never going to beat J-Rod/Bala/Alaphilippe/Gilbert here racing like this. He won't even stand up to a Contador kind of climber I bet. Same way he was never gonna win the worlds in a straight sprint vs. the same opponents. He has to go early to stand any sort of chance. Same goes for the Wellens or Kelderman types. Nobody will disputes that they can climb for a top 10, but if you get there with the punchy types on your wheel. It won't happen. Worse that can happen if they try is...Place 30th-15th? Worldtour points that important, huh?

Truth of the matter is though, the way this particular race is run, staying away for more than a few K's on the business end of these things is a seriously tall order. Fléche is really crass when it comes to this and the choir of voices calling for smaller squads makes perfect sense really.

TRENDING THREADS