• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 TdF, Stage 12: Montpellier → Mont Ventoux (178km)

Page 80 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
Ataraxus said:
Clear as mud. Looked to me like he was racing back on to the group. What is the time gap from him to the back of the group at that point; how would that be calculated?

The fact is it is all guesswork. Valverde's the fastest finisher in that group by far; he could claim he could have pulled out another five seconds on the sprint for the line if he hadn't been held up. A massive can of worms has been opened and there is no satisfactory solution.

Gee.
A blind person and a blind fanboy at the same time.
How much I love bashing them.

Kwibus said:
DFA123 said:
VanBsr said:
Pantani Attacks said:
saganboss said:
to be honest i think quintana was in the same group but was held more by the incident

This. TV footage showed it too. He was held up.

If you look at this image you can see Van Garderen at the back but no Quintana ( the one on the left is Valverde). So he was in front of Yates, Aru, Purito etc. after the place of the crash

Untitled.png
So, at the very least, his teammate got held up by the crash. Still a disadvantage that he was affected by, no?

Yeah Gerrans crashed out so Yates should get s.t. as Mollema as well.

Quintana was just in front of Aru right there, yet still he got s.t with all others even though he was clearly dropped. I am pretty sure that he and Movistar whined to jury like they did in Romandie

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site

Ataraxus said:
DFA123 said:
Ataraxus said:
Clear as mud. Looked to me like he was racing back on to the group. What is the time gap from him to the back of the group at that point; how would that be calculated?

The fact is it is all guesswork. Valverde's the fastest finisher in that group by far; he could claim he could have pulled out another five seconds on the sprint for the line if he hadn't been held up. A massive can of worms has been opened and there is no satisfactory solution.

Gee.

Ataraxus said:
DFA123 said:
Ataraxus said:

Gee.
I see from you're join date and attitude that you are just another July fan :rolleyes:
Shame, was hoping to have a decent discussion.

Ataraxus said:
TomekA said:
Pricey_sky said:
SeriousSam said:
What was Mollema's gap to the next finisher at the time of the crash, and at the finish?

Apparently around 23s at the crash, only 19s at finish.

He may be annoyed that Quintana was given the same time as the Yates group when he was apparently being dropped before they stopped at the crash. I haven't seen footage of this though.

How come? He was clearly in the Yates/Aru group. He was at the second position behind Yates. Rewatch the stage.

He was with Yates at the time of the crash and 7 seconds off at the finish line.
The gaps are taken at the time of the crash which is 23 seconds. Not 19+7 seconds at the finish line.
Mollema is complaining for nothing IMO.

I agree, I have just watched highlights and Quintana is definitely in that group when they reach the crash.

How sad are the people booing Froome on the podium, so sad.

Jul 12, 2013
Visit site

DFA123 said:
Ataraxus said:
DFA123 said:
Ataraxus said:

Gee.
I see from you're join date and attitude that you are just another July fan :rolleyes:
Shame, was hoping to have a decent discussion.

I cannot upload pictures because of the Quota limit.
Don't worry about my Julyness.
Other people in this forum from 2010 know me much better than you do.

Re:

mc_mountain said:
just to play devil's advocate is there a case that Porte is culpable (at least in part) as he chose to draft so closely behind the moto, which gave him no time to react?

It is 100% the responsibility of the motorbike to keep far enough ahead. Porte had zero responsibility to slow just because the motorbike was slowing. It was reasonable of him to expect it to re-accelerate. Unfortunately, a bunch of drunken idiots ensured that didn't happen.

winkybiker said:
mc_mountain said:
just to play devil's advocate is there a case that Porte is culpable (at least in part) as he chose to draft so closely behind the moto, which gave him no time to react?

It is 100% the responsibility of the motorbike to keep far enough ahead. Porte had zero responsibility to slow just because the motorbike was slowing. It was reasonable of him to expect it to re-accelerate. Unfortunately, a bunch of drunken idiots ensured that didn't happen.

I agree but he choose to draft behind the moto, when he could have been offset from it.

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Fergoose said:
Minor point but it annoys me we missed the crash live as we were focussing on the four or fifth rider to almost free wheel over the line after being unsuccessful in the breakaway. This happens on every mountain stage and is a curious bit of decision making by the race TV director when you are in the middle of live GC battle. Annoys the hell out of me.

Indeed, it boils my piss too, who gives a solitary shite who's rolling in 6th, 7th or 8th from the breakaway when there's a GC battle behind them?

Regardless of all the crash talk, Quintana looked weak, I really thought he was keeping his powder dry to blow everyone away, yet he was outclimbed by Porte, Froome, Mollema, and it looked like everyone in the second group were stronger than him. Even his early attacks were pretty weak. Maybe he was just on a bad day.

mc_mountain said:
winkybiker said:
mc_mountain said:

I agree but he choose to draft behind the moto, when he could have been offset from it.
Not sure the road was wide enough to have much choice; the motos are supposed to open up the crowd a bit for the riders as well. In ten years of racing this is probably the first time the moto hasn't just zoomed away from him in that situation, it's a bit harsh to blame him at all.

What_What said:
Fergoose said:
Minor point but it annoys me we missed the crash live as we were focussing on the four or fifth rider to almost free wheel over the line after being unsuccessful in the breakaway. This happens on every mountain stage and is a curious bit of decision making by the race TV director when you are in the middle of live GC battle. Annoys the hell out of me.

Indeed, it boils my piss too, who gives a solitary shite who's rolling in 6th, 7th or 8th from the breakaway when there's a GC battle behind them?
Jean-Maurice Ooghe is a fraud.

TMP402 said:
capuldemetal said:
''ProCyclingStats.com ‏@ProCyclingStats 2m2 minutes ago
. @TrekSegafredo, team of @BaukeMollema filed protest. Disagree with the decision of the jury. #TDF2016''

it's gonna be a long night

As far as I can see, Trek's complaint relates only to Quintana being given the same time as the Yates group.
well,seeing what TBM said afterwords i don't think so.if he was the only one to hit the edeck,would have been the same decision?

When we see the peloton rolling through small towns and villages, and the people are calmly lined on the sidewalks and the sides of the road, cheering on the riders: this should be the standard. Sad to see Ventoux even worse than the Alpe in this regard.

Also: *********************

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Re:

mc_mountain said:

hahaha, imagine this outcome: no neutralization, Richie punished for drafting and Vroom for running without bike

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

Pantani Attacks said:
Gloin22 said:
Just add 3km rule to MTFs ffs...fixes all this ****..if Tour can't afford security and barriers what other choice is there.

If that was the case people would be having 'mechanicals' with 2km to go just as they're about to bonk on the climb. It's not a practical ruling.
This, everyone would just pull an Andy Schleck if he got dropped with 2km to go.
That was a huge ASO fail, it's probably the biggest stage with the largest crowds on the 14th of July and they can't even put up a few barriers. Ok, you moved the finish, but they had more than enough time and manpower to fix the problem, that was something that I'd expect from Mauro Vegni.
Back to the race, great ride by Mollema, Aru did pretty well if you consider that he had a few problems before the actual climb, Dan Martin already cracking on an Unipublic stage is a surprise.

mc_mountain said:
winkybiker said:
mc_mountain said:

----------------------
Yes, of course he could have just ridden on top of the spectators on the sides of the road ? Would be real easy for him. And after falling, a motorbike drove over Froome's bike, that's just racing eh ?

What_What said:
Fergoose said:

Today they had to show the finish of the first Frenchman on Bastille Day. But after Navarro, I agree that there was no reason IMO to watch anybody else from the breakaway cross the line.

TRENDING THREADS