• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 TdF, Stage 17: Bern → Finhaut-Emosson (185km)

Page 32 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: Re:

Rollthedice said:
DFA123 said:
ILovecycling said:
Would have been interesting to see where Alberto would have been...this version of Froome is not the strongest at all
He looks stronger than ever to me. Hasn't even been close to being in difficulty all tour. He's still got a gear or two extra if he needs it - but he won't, certainly not after the TT tomorrow.

Brailsford said it yesterday. He has to look as humanly possible in order to avoid questions. All goes according to the plan.

so maybe they have something prepared for tomorrow... perhaps wheeliing the whole uphill part... and then endoing the downhill!

and still win

Big Doopie said:
gooner said:
Not sure the Contador of now would make much of a race of this either.

It needed the Contador of 2014 for that.

not sure what contador 2014 would have done?

he was almost 3 mins down and was obviously going to lose tons of time in the ITT (lack of power showed on the cobbles stage).

also, contador 2014 was beaten by froome in the dauphine prologue, and still couldn't come around him for the stage win after froome had led the entire way up the first MTF. it was only after froome CRASHED badly that contador could do anything.

and then he went and lost to freakin' talansky.

"contador 2014" is a myth.

I wish I was also a myth. It seems that myths can win Vuelta over Dawg, even though they CRASHED badly. Instead of missing power they can also find some mythical energy to do well in Vuelta ITT although they showed lack of power in cobbles stage during which they were unable to shift.

Jakub said:
Big Doopie said:
gooner said:
Not sure the Contador of now would make much of a race of this either.

It needed the Contador of 2014 for that.

not sure what contador 2014 would have done?

he was almost 3 mins down and was obviously going to lose tons of time in the ITT (lack of power showed on the cobbles stage).

also, contador 2014 was beaten by froome in the dauphine prologue, and still couldn't come around him for the stage win after froome had led the entire way up the first MTF. it was only after froome CRASHED badly that contador could do anything.

and then he went and lost to freakin' talansky.

"contador 2014" is a myth.

I wish I was also a myth. It seems that myths can win Vuelta over Dawg, even though they CRASHED badly. Instead of missing power they can also find some mythical energy to do well in Vuelta ITT although they showed lack of power in cobbles stage during which they were unable to shift.

clearly you didn't read my fantastic post on French Contador (as opposed to Italian or Spanish Contador) since 2010.

quite a different rider.

Poels did very little until the first rest day, a lesson from last year. He is awesome but that partly reflects the team strength that allowed him to be kept in reserve.

Last year Froome won it when the team weakened in week three. Not so much this year.

I got a 2004 feeling all over again, Ulle had been a monster in 2003, so my hopes were really high in 2004; and then Armstrong and the blue train destroyed him. I was really hoping for Quintana to do something significantly. Uggggggh my tour watching is truly over.

Re: Re:

doperhopper said:
Escarabajo said:
Hugo Koblet said:
Riis: "All these riders who were supposed to attack are not even good enough to be domestiques for Froome". QFT.

#unleashwouter
Gosh, Riis from all people. He is right but he is the wrong person to say it.

he is probably 60% right

of all people Riis knows best what he is talking about - he has been there as a rider and as an owner/DS :lol:

Good win by Zakarin. Pantano another great ride. Porte looked good but did not make much time on Yates or Mollema. Yates is the surprise of the race. Quintana finally delivered on what was promised on the Ventoux, he does not have it. TJVG should stop worrying about riding for GC in grand tours. Astana tried and failed. Sky doms were riding away from their team leader by accident but finally they decided to have a rest and let him attack. Don't expect big time gaps tomorrow unless Froome does something special. Not that he needs to.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Escarabajo said:
Why every thread has to turn to this Contador BS???

I cannot even go to the Quintana thread because there is Contador BS as well!!

He has been on the same Tours as Froome and Quintana hasn't he?

I agree, that's why I said he would have made little difference here and am baffled to as why some say he was huge loss to making a competitive race.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Escarabajo said:

Contador thread clearly failing to contain all the Contador nonsense in one location. Regrettable.

Re:

Escarabajo said:

Contador has not made a Tour podium since 2010. For all of his attacks including the one he made on the day he dropped out of the Tour he was not going to effect the overall or break Sky's stranglehold on the race. And like you I am tired of hearing what Contador USED to do years ago.