2016 TdF, Stage 7: L'Isle-Jourdain → Lac de Payolle (163km)

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Bit of a mess for the race jury I would think if they try to correct everything. Apart from Yates, there are lots of riders sneaking into the GC group who were actually well behind it and the likes of Pinot who should have lost more time than they did.
 
So Yates gets his few seconds back and the White Jersey which had already been awarded to Alaphillipe gets taken back. Awkward but fair enough. On the other hand it seems that the riders who were behind the GC group but manage to sneak into it during the delay will not lose their extra advantage. Which is hardly consistent.

At least the race jury can't be accused of national bias on this occasion - Barguil may have been one of the riders to benefit from the delay, but Alaphillipe is the one who does not benefit from it.
 
Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
So Yates gets his few seconds back and the White Jersey which had already been awarded to Alaphillipe gets taken back. Awkward but fair enough. On the other hand it seems that the riders who were behind the GC group but manage to sneak into it during the delay will not lose their extra advantage. Which is hardly consistent.

At least the race jury can't be accused of national bias on this occasion - Barguil may have been one of the riders to benefit from the delay, but Alaphillipe is the one who does not benefit from it.
They've done what they've could.
Would've been too much to screw Yates, but there was a gap to fit Barguil in.
 
Re: Re:

sir fly said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
So Yates gets his few seconds back and the White Jersey which had already been awarded to Alaphillipe gets taken back. Awkward but fair enough. On the other hand it seems that the riders who were behind the GC group but manage to sneak into it during the delay will not lose their extra advantage. Which is hardly consistent.

At least the race jury can't be accused of national bias on this occasion - Barguil may have been one of the riders to benefit from the delay, but Alaphillipe is the one who does not benefit from it.
They've done what they've could.
Would've been too much to screw Yates, but there was a gap to fit Barguil in.
I don't think that they really have done what they could. They've given Yates his gap at 3km, which is absolutely the right thing to do. And they've given those outside of the top 40 or so their times at 3km. But they've just let a whole load of gaps within the top 40 or so slide. They should be consistent, and there's no reason not to be given that they have the ability to award everyone their time at 3km.
 
Re: Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
sir fly said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
So Yates gets his few seconds back and the White Jersey which had already been awarded to Alaphillipe gets taken back. Awkward but fair enough. On the other hand it seems that the riders who were behind the GC group but manage to sneak into it during the delay will not lose their extra advantage. Which is hardly consistent.

At least the race jury can't be accused of national bias on this occasion - Barguil may have been one of the riders to benefit from the delay, but Alaphillipe is the one who does not benefit from it.
They've done what they've could.
Would've been too much to screw Yates, but there was a gap to fit Barguil in.
I don't think that they really have done what they could. They've given Yates his gap at 3km, which is absolutely the right thing to do. And they've given those outside of the top 40 or so their times at 3km. But they've just let a whole load of gaps within the top 40 or so slide. They should be consistent, and there's no reason not to be given that they have the ability to award everyone their time at 3km.
They've done for their compatriots what they've could.
 
Jul 8, 2016
11
0
0
Re: 2016 TdF, Stage 7: L'Isle-Jourdain → Lac de Payolle (163

Hmm.. questions:

GvA able to defend the jersey tomorrow? Spent some energy today, but didnt seem like he was in the red? Seemed controlled.

Yates able to recover from the crash today and stay with favorittes to gain yellow? (if GvA is gone). Apparently he needed four stitches to his chin and got cuts to his arms and shoulders.
 
Re: 2016 TdF, Stage 7: L'Isle-Jourdain → Lac de Payolle (163

binz said:
Hmm.. questions:

GvA able to defend the jersey tomorrow? Spent some energy today, but didnt seem like he was in the red? Seemed controlled.

Yates able to recover from the crash today and stay with favorittes to gain yellow? (if GvA is gone). Apparently he needed four stitches to his chin and got cuts to his arms and shoulders.
He said in his post race interview that tomorrow he'll probably say goodbye to the jersey.
He won't bury himself to keep it.
 
That stage had the lot. Great rides from Cummings, Impey and GVA and the best TdF fail since the Orica Teambus incident in Corsica.

Seriously, Impey riding away from Nibs on a Cat 1 climb? :eek:
 
Actually, looking at the video again, Barguil may have already got back to the back end of the GC group before the delay. It may be that none of the people who sneaked back in were even remotely GC relevant, but it's hard to be sure given when the footage starts.
 
Re: 2016 TdF, Stage 7: L'Isle-Jourdain → Lac de Payolle (163

sir fly said:
binz said:
Hmm.. questions:

GvA able to defend the jersey tomorrow? Spent some energy today, but didnt seem like he was in the red? Seemed controlled.

Yates able to recover from the crash today and stay with favorittes to gain yellow? (if GvA is gone). Apparently he needed four stitches to his chin and got cuts to his arms and shoulders.
He said in his post race interview that tomorrow he'll probably say goodbye to the jersey.
He won't bury himself to keep it.
He did the right thing today, didn't try to hold on to the Moreno/Nibs group and paced himself over the climb. Great ride to get himself into the break.
 
Jun 30, 2014
7,060
0
0
Re: Re:

PremierAndrew said:
TMP402 said:
PremierAndrew said:
Cummings has no chance with Nibs chasing
Hmm.
Looks like Nibs' crank length was wrong
Nope, he stayed with the sorter ones. :D
At least he praised Cummings after the stage, that's one of the few times that you'l lhear Nibali praise a British rider (the fact that he doesn't ride for Sky is probably one o the main reasons).
To me it looked like Pinot suffered a hunger knock, if he was already suffering at the strt of he climb we wouldn't have seen the FDJ train in action.
 
Jul 16, 2011
1,551
0
0
As psychology says, what happens at the end remains in the memory. Hence, I feel that the stage was dull. On the other hand, there were huge fights to get into the breaks and then counterattacks until Cummings got away. His riding style is so poetry in motion that it looks like he is knitting in front of the fire (like Kiryienka and Rolland). His attack was perfect, the use of the traffic island to stop the others getting on his wheel when the chasers were coming back. The GC battle was dull, but with the two days of attrition coming up, that is not surprising.

As I said GvA lost 3 minutes :) To Cummings :eek:
 
Re:

Tank Engine said:
As psychology says, what happens at the end remains in the memory. Hence, I feel that the stage was dull. On the other hand, there were huge fights to get into the breaks and then counterattacks until Cummings got away. His riding style is so poetry in motion that it looks like he is knitting in front of the fire (like Kiryienka and Rolland). His attack was perfect, the use of the traffic island to stop the others getting on his wheel when the chasers were coming back. The GC battle was dull, but with the two days of attrition coming up, that is not surprising.

As I said GvA lost 3 minutes :) To Cummings :eek:
Cummings is a very clever rider. As he got older he got better and better at picking the right moves and making his own move at the right time. Anyone in a break would be well advised to treat any move he is involved in as likely to be decisive and get on his wheel asap.
 
In the normal application of the 3 km rule, if there are riders ahead of the crash affected group, then at least one rider from the crash affected group needs to get to the finish quickly to keep the gap within reason. They crossed the line at 4:29, and no-one crossed between Van Avermaet and the Maté-led group, but now recorded as 3:37, so has not happened today: they have been allocated at time equal to their gap at 3 km to Cummings.

Not only that, but so have riders unaffected by the crash. Nibali finished @ 2:14, but allocated 1:58, Van Avermaet finished @3:04, but now listed as 2:57.

And what about the times behind? Was Pinot, for example, given his gap at 3km to go, or at the line?

ASO are very lucky that the last 600m kicker had not been deemed to be enough to not categorise it as a flat finish, they would not have had 3km timing equipment.

And I bet they are glad that Impey and Navarro didn't catch up with and pass Cummings in the last 3 km, or they would have to give 1st place a slower time than 3rd place.

Won't make a lot of difference in Paris, but what a farce.
 
Re:

Armchair cyclist said:
In the normal application of the 3 km rule, if there are riders ahead of the crash affected group, then at least one rider from the crash affected group needs to get to the finish quickly to keep the gap within reason. They crossed the line at 4:29, and no-one crossed between Van Avermaet and the Maté-led group, but now recorded as 3:37, so has not happened today: they have been allocated at time equal to their gap at 3 km to Cummings.

Not only that, but so have riders unaffected by the crash. Nibali finished @ 2:14, but allocated 1:58, Van Avermaet finished @3:04, but now listed as 2:57.

And what about the times behind? Was Pinot, for example, given his gap at 3km to go, or at the line?

ASO are very lucky that the last 600m kicker had not been deemed to be enough to not categorise it as a flat finish, they would not have had 3km timing equipment.

And I bet they are glad that Impey and Navarro didn't catch up with and pass Cummings in the last 3 km, or they would have to give 1st place a slower time than 3rd place.

Won't make a lot of difference in Paris, but what a farce.
Yes, they didn't apply the 3km rule. Rather they treated the 3km line as the finishing line for timing purposes.
 
Re:

Armchair cyclist said:
In the normal application of the 3 km rule, if there are riders ahead of the crash affected group, then at least one rider from the crash affected group needs to get to the finish quickly to keep the gap within reason. They crossed the line at 4:29, and no-one crossed between Van Avermaet and the Maté-led group, but now recorded as 3:37, so has not happened today: they have been allocated at time equal to their gap at 3 km to Cummings.

Not only that, but so have riders unaffected by the crash. Nibali finished @ 2:14, but allocated 1:58, Van Avermaet finished @3:04, but now listed as 2:57.

And what about the times behind? Was Pinot, for example, given his gap at 3km to go, or at the line?

ASO are very lucky that the last 600m kicker had not been deemed to be enough to not categorise it as a flat finish, they would not have had 3km timing equipment.

And I bet they are glad that Impey and Navarro didn't catch up with and pass Cummings in the last 3 km, or they would have to give 1st place a slower time than 3rd place.

Won't make a lot of difference in Paris, but what a farce.
It seems to me guys like Frank are now losing more time because of poor descending than with a normal finish? :confused: :eek:
 
Re: Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
Yes, they didn't apply the 3km rule. Rather they treated the 3km line as the finishing line for timing purposes.
True, but not for placings, so what if...
Armchair cyclist said:
And I bet they are glad that Impey and Navarro didn't catch up with and pass Cummings in the last 3 km, or they would have to give 1st place a slower time than 3rd place.
And what if they had not had 3km timing equipment? Presumably there is not any on most mountain stages.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS