• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 TdF, Stage 7: L'Isle-Jourdain → Lac de Payolle (163km)

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: 2016 TdF, Stage 7: L'Isle-Jourdain → Lac de Payolle (163

Praying Mantis said:
Withdrawals Stage 6:
None (!!!!!!)
198 of 198 riders remain in the race - for the first time in history at the start of stage 7.
I'm hearing from my friends who are currently around the Tour that CheckMyPecs' "Upper-body training for cyclists" thread has made a big impression among the current cycling peloton. It has been talked a lot recently. Lots of riders have decided to train their upper body before the Tour which gives them better bike handling skills and better protection of their bones from fractures. It has also improved their peak aerobic performance, hence they're less tired during stages, which leads to better concentration and riders make less mistakes. This alltogether contribute to the fact that no one has crashed hard enough to force him to abandon the race so far. :surprised:

Re:

Poursuivant said:
Breakaway will take this, I don't see Froome attacking until Arcalis on stage 8. I can see a fairly decent sized peloton finishing together with a few time gaps, if someone like Bardet attacks on the summit to get ahead on the descent.

I think that we won't see Sky train calmly riding uphill tomorrow. I think that Movistar will do something to weaken sky train as much as possible which also destroys peleton and creates time gaps. The worst thing that they and any other team with a GC contender can do is allow Sky to control pace. Teams seem to have been okay with Sky riding in front previous years and no one knows how many bad days have they gotten away with thanks to this.

Re:

Poursuivant said:
Breakaway will take this, I don't see Froome attacking until Arcalis on stage 8. I can see a fairly decent sized peloton finishing together with a few time gaps, if someone like Bardet attacks on the summit to get ahead on the descent.

Quite the contrary, this is a one-climb stage, this is where he should have the advantage. I think that if he doesn't try here, he's waiting for Quintana to peak and drop him, basically hoping to win enough time in the TT's that don't benefit him all that much and hang on for dear life when Quintana decides to take off.

Froome should be the favourite, if history is anything to go by. Although the fact there's no MTF may mean we see more train action instead of an all-out attack from Froome or Quintana. If that's the case, then Bardet to break away on the descent and perhaps win the stage (depending on how the day's breakaway goes).

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site

Anderis said:
Praying Mantis said:
Withdrawals Stage 6:
None (!!!!!!)
198 of 198 riders remain in the race - for the first time in history at the start of stage 7.
I'm hearing from my friends who are currently around the Tour that CheckMyPecs' "Upper-body training for cyclists" thread has made a big impression among the current cycling peloton. It has been talked a lot recently. Lots of riders have decided to train their upper body before the Tour which gives them better bike handling skills and better protection of their bones from fractures. It has also improved their peak aerobic performance, hence they're less tired during stages, which leads to better concentration and riders make less mistakes. This alltogether contribute to the fact that no one has crashed hard enough to force him to abandon the race so far. :surprised:

Yes, did you see Froome's guns? Wow, that man put on some serious muscle mass!

Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
Poursuivant said:

Quite the contrary, this is a one-climb stage, this is where he should have the advantage. I think that if he doesn't try here, he's waiting for Quintana to peak and drop him, basically hoping to win enough time in the TT's that don't benefit him all that much and hang on for dear life when Quintana decides to take off.

I don't think the climb is long or hard enough for Froome to try anything, bearing in mind the following two days are killers. We shall see.

I've already expressed my opinion regarding this stage, but now it got its own thread so...
Blistering tempo on Aspin, group of a dozen at the top, several more to join on the descent and come together sprinting at the finish rise .
High probability of successful breakaway. GVA to keep the jersey.
Contador to struggle, but not to drop way down the classification.
Bardet might try his luck to gain some time.

Re:

Arredondo said:
Cummings or Costa from a break.

Porte and Quintana to put pressure on the others. Purito will surprise. Pinot will fade.

I'm confident Costa won't be on the bod tomorrow. He'll most likely lose more time and give it a shot the day after, which looks tailormade for the break and for him, with a descent finish.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

hokki8 said:
Does Alaphilippe have a chance on this stage? Will he be there if there's a sprint

Depends on the tempo of the Aspin. If Sky or Movistar puts the hammer down he won't be there at the finish

I would say this is a day for a breakaway. Look out for Cummings, probably a decent rouleur from Lotto (Hansen/Gallopin) and Chavanel/Voeckler.
As for the GC guys, this is one of the two road stages where Froome seems most likely to put time into Quintana (Mt. Ventoux being the other, more obvious target). As such Sky will try to establish dominance on the Aspin. Movistar will be happy if they can compete with Sky, Time and the later stages are likely to favour Nairo. GvA to lose around 2-3 mins.

Official pick (conservative, miniziming the expected finishing position on the stage): the Preying Mantis

Would be the funniest stage of the year if Contador wins :D

However I think the break will win and I'm pretty sure froome won't gain any time because I still think he didnt look good yesterday. I'd be very very happy if Quintana would gain time and if aru wouldn't loose any.

TRENDING THREADS