• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Tour de France, Stage 20: Megève → Morzine (147km)

Page 35 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Tonton said:
If it wasn't for Froome/Sky, very good Tour IMO. Minimal gaps in the top-10. I thought that Nibali would prevail today. Great win for Izaguirre. Great ride for Alaphilippe. And man, Pantano is a heck of a rider. I'm surprised that attacks didn't take place for a podium spot. Disappointing...

Did any of the GC guys apart from Froome and Bardet do anything memorable in this race? Sky choked the race yes, but Froome himself added to this race, not subtracted from it

Re: Re:

RattaKuningas said:
Well he didn't even give a go. It is impossible to drop anyone by following other riders wheels. If we use your logic we will never see a single attack on GC anymore because why risk. GC should consist of 21 time trials then I assume.

Essentially, the TdF GC podium fight is a couple of ramp tests (MTF & TT) and 20 days of other stuff.

Also, in a driving rain with a 5K descent before the finish line and 20-something days of racing in your legs there is not much to be done. If today would have been a MTF, maybe there would have been a little more attacking action.

As others have posted, a few riders stormed the top-10 today.

HelloDolly said:
BigMac said:
MacBAir said:
Froome was the best, most exciting, most positive GC rider in this tour. Most of others are garbage wheelsukers. How can someone be a Quintana fan? Blhec.

He's Colombian, for starters. There's a pretty well established bandwagon.

I think this is unfair...the man has been sick...its amasing he continued to ride at all

I was just responding to the question. Regardless if Quintana gave his best or not, it's true.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re:

MacBAir said:
Froome was the best, most exciting, most positive GC rider in this tour. Most of others are garbage wheelsukers. How can someone be a Quintana fan? Blhec.

It's easy to be exciting and positive when you have an absurd power and team advantage over everyone.

Still credit to Froome. No pathetic trackstands.

BigMac said:
Kwibus said:
Stop arguing with Ryo. It's so incredibly pointless.

You know it's not that simple. Ignore and he thinks he's right. Ignore and his ego insufflates even more.

That usually culminates with him being so sure of himself that he starts insulting people and belittling them upon the next argument. And while I'd be over the moon with what usually follows, I don't want to give him the joy.

I used to argue with him for ages. If he's proven wrong he simply doesnt show up anymore and if he's right then he can't stop saying how incredibly great he is. The guy has serious issues and I'm not even joking.

burning said:
hfer07 said:
Eshnar said:
The mythical SKY pace. The one that doesn't allow you to attack. Unless you are a soon-to-retire Purito, obviously.

If Purito was a GC threat, you bet he would have been caught withing 300 mts of his attack.

The point is, nobody was a GC threat to Sky, so they would not have bothered to raise the pace.

They did anyway. The Sky train kept it high enough an attack couldn't get a gap AND they were closing on the breakaway. It wasn't shedding riders quite like past stages, but pretty close.

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Forgettable Tour re GC. I will not be looking for Nostalgic clips on U Tube. Race for stage nice today, Cummings win was a highlight too !. Sick of Kirby claiming anyone who does not speak English is part of "Old World Cycling". What the ***

hfer07 said:
Eshnar said:
The mythical SKY pace. The one that doesn't allow you to attack. Unless you are a soon-to-retire Purito, obviously.

If Purito was a GC threat, you bet he would have been caught withing 300 mts of his attack.
But that shows that the pace wasn't as terribly incredible as the narrative makes it look like right?
SKY weren't gonna change pace either. 4 minutes were impossible to lose by setting a decent pace.

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
Look at the GC.

Only one Sky rider in it. The rest are all nearly over 8 minutes outside of top ten. Movistar have two riders in the top 6.

Sky have loads of talent but it is all sacrificed for the big win.

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
Some posts are a trifle harsh on Yates. He is just 24, he doesn't have a team for climbing (except the remarkable Daryl Impey), this is his first GT ever going for GC, and most importantly he's looked pretty weak over the last few days. Judge his attacking when he's a bit more experienced and has a better team.

Re:

Eshnar said:

Today had nothing to do with Sky obviously, but there are days that Sky does choke the joy out of racing.
Today it seemed that everyone besides a desperate Mollema and Purito/Kreuziger decided to just follow and be a useless uninspiring rider.

Really disappointed that Yates didn't try test Quintana on the downhill. I have to agree this was a very disappointing Tour and I'm happy with Froome as a winner so it's not about Sky hate in my case.

Few days ago I disagreed with some people expecting Aru to fly in 3rd week and I was proven right.

Its not the stength of SKY but the way SKY ride that is the issue for me. Landa & Thomas & Kiry were really not that strong

All their riders ride in unison for one objective..that si their key strenght

Other teams don't do this ...SKY are so focused on one objective that its stiffling...I would not be surprised if the riders themselves are bored....they looked bored...only allowed in 2 breaks it seems
After you have done this once or twice you begin to wonder if you still want to do it over and over again

TRENDING THREADS