• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Tour de France, Stage 20: Megève → Morzine (147km)

Page 36 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Anderis said:
Really disappointed that Yates didn't try test Quintana on the downhill. I have to agree this was a very disappointing Tour and I'm happy with Froome as a winner so it's not about Sky hate in my case.

Few days ago I disagreed with some people expecting Aru to fly in 3rd week and I was proven right.

You are underestimating how hard he tired just to finish fourth. The rain made a mess of things on the last two stages and that descent was not one to attack on in Yates position.

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
Re:

HelloDolly said:
Its not the stength of SKY but the way SKY ride that is the issue for me. Landa & Thomas & Kiry were really not that strong

All their riders ride in unison for one objective..that si their key strenght

Other teams don't do this ...SKY are so focused on one objective that its stiffling...I would not be surprised if the riders themselves are bored....they looked bored...only allowed in 2 breaks it seems
After you have done this once or twice you begin to wonder if you still want to do it over and over again

Don't be silly. They are there to fight for one objective, and they absolutely smashed it.

Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
IndianCyclist said:
Quintana on the podium purely on talent. Only if he had the form and the team
He probably had the best domestique in the peloton. No way he would have finished on the podium without Valverde. Compared with Yates, Porte and Mollema his team was superb.

Valverde did a good job but you can't deny the time losses for Mollema and Porte and say that Quintana got there on talent.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Cannibal72 said:
Some posts are a trifle harsh on Yates. He is just 24, he doesn't have a team for climbing (except the remarkable Daryl Impey), this is his first GT ever going for GC, and most importantly he's looked pretty weak over the last few days. Judge his attacking when he's a bit more experienced and has a better team.

Doesn't need strength to attack on the downhill, just guts...

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

movingtarget said:
Anderis said:
Really disappointed that Yates didn't try test Quintana on the downhill. I have to agree this was a very disappointing Tour and I'm happy with Froome as a winner so it's not about Sky hate in my case.

Few days ago I disagreed with some people expecting Aru to fly in 3rd week and I was proven right.

You are underestimating how hard he tired just to finish fourth. The rain made a mess of things on the last two stages and that descent was not one to attack on in Yates position.

Why?

Very good breakaway action, but it was a bit disappointing not to have more of a battle for the podium on the final climb. On the other hand, it's a bit tough picking on particular riders for not attacking. It's been a hard tour with lots of mountains and wind. Several in the top 10 were probably hanging on for dear life on the Joux Plane.

Froome was a deserved winner. Bardet deserved his podium spot and although I was very critical of LPR in the final stage of the Dauphine, this time he was very unlucky not to be on the podium.

Mr.White said:
movingtarget said:
Anderis said:

Why?

He did not want to risk his GC position on a treacherous wet descent. Even Nibali backed off.

damian13ster said:
arvc40 said:
So we still have no show of who best GC climber was, no real clarification anyway.

So? Who cares? We got a very clear indication who was the best cyclist in this edition and by a huge margin. Thats what GT is about

Yes, Sagan destroyed everybody in the points competition :D

For me, he and Froome were the best cyclists in this edition, but their talents are rather different. But that is another thing that a GT is about.

Jesus christ this has to be the most boring GT ever. Quintana, Meijntjes and Yates in the top 10? I never saw any of them this Tour. At least the most entertaining rider won.

People whine that the stages of the Vuelta are "youtube-stages"? Well, you couldn't make a summary of this Tour big enough to fit a youtube video.

Congrats to TEAM SKY for winning the GC - that was their goal, and apart from the famous run, it went to plan. I have a horrible thought that we might see the same thing next year, and the year after, etc etc.until Sky get bored and take their money somewhere else.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re:

portugal11 said:
Unzue said that he is happy because movistar won team classification. What a sad man
Quintana badly needs another DS, put Martinelli or even Riis in the teamcar durning the 2015 Tour and we have a different race...
Great ride by Purito, I'm happy for him, by his standarts that was almost like pulling a Landis. :D (Sorry, I like Purito, but I just had to make that joke).
I didn't expect Aru to crack like that, I'm happy for Ion and Rui Costa probably deserves the Souvenir John Gadret for being the worst teammate of the Tour.

Mayomaniac said:
portugal11 said:
Unzue said that he is happy because movistar won team classification. What a sad man
Quintana badly needs another DS, put Martinelli or even Riis in the teamcar durning the 2015 Tour and we have a different race...
Great ride by Purito, I'm happy for him, by his standarts that was almost like pulling a Landis. :D (Sorry, I like Purito, but I just had to make that joke).
I didn't expect Aru to crack like that, I'm happy for Ion and Rui Costa probably deserves the Souvenir John Gadret for being the worst teammate of the Tour.
Worst teammate of the Tour? At least he tried winning a stage. If he hadn't been in the breaks you wouldn't have seen a Lampre rider once this Tour.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site

movingtarget said:
Mr.White said:
movingtarget said:
Anderis said:

Why?

He did not want to risk his GC position on a treacherous wet descent. Even Nibali backed off.

You do realize he was 4th, only 19 sec away from 3rd? And how much of a difference is to finish on the podium? It's not that he was 9th and slipped his chance to take 8th! He may never ever be in this position again, I wouldn't say he's a natural GT rider. Anyway, I think this opportunity was worth the risk

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site

damian13ster said:
arvc40 said:
So we still have no show of who best GC climber was, no real clarification anyway.

So? Who cares? We got a very clear indication who was the best cyclist in this edition and by a huge margin. Thats what GT is about

Well, I care !, And others do too. Bit of a shame how mountain stages turned out. But yes Froome was strongest.

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Re:

Robert5091 said:
Congrats to TEAM SKY for winning the GC - that was their goal, and apart from the famous run, it went to plan. I have a horrible thought that we might see the same thing next year, and the year after, etc etc.until Sky get bored and take their money somewhere else.

Froome is favourite for next year and the tactic will be the same. Looking forward to it

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site

Mr.White said:
Cannibal72 said:
Some posts are a trifle harsh on Yates. He is just 24, he doesn't have a team for climbing (except the remarkable Daryl Impey), this is his first GT ever going for GC, and most importantly he's looked pretty weak over the last few days. Judge his attacking when he's a bit more experienced and has a better team.

Doesn't need strength to attack on the downhill, just guts...

You definitely need strength to attack on a downhill - especially when there's a long flat section as the run-in.

TRENDING THREADS