• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Tour de France, Stage 4: Saumur → Limoges (238km)

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

Red Rick said:
Vroome.exe said:
Hahaha Kittel silenced you all. He was by far the strongest one, the first to start his sprint and the only one not to fade.
Except Coquard made up like a 5m gap on Kittel.

Interestingly, he did it in a harder gear, which I think is odd for a 128 pounder.

Very impressive from Kittel on a finish that was not ideal for him.
Coquard excellent, but that looks to have been his best chance to win a stage.
Sagan a little disappointing. Third is good for most people, but this should have been his territory.
Groenewegen finally in a position to actually sprint and does quite well.
Kristoff not looking like he has top form.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
SeriousSam said:
As predicted, when it isn't pancake flat Cavendish and Greipel fade away and versatile sprinter Kittel wins.

Yet people will complain how Kittel is worse than either on hilly stuff. Some prejudices will never go away.

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
Coquard was sprinting as though he was trying to hang onto a flailing fish he just caught. His bike being the fish of course.
Nice consistency by Sagan with 3rd, slowly but surely extending his lead in the points classification.

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
SeriousSam said:
As predicted, when it isn't pancake flat Cavendish and Greipel fade away and versatile sprinter Kittel wins.

Cavendish was right up there on the line, 8th position. He was held up by people going backwards because he put himself too near the right hand side. It wasn't lack of strength, it was making a wrong decision.

Gloin22 said:
SeriousSam said:

Yet people will complain how Kittel is worse than either on hilly stuff. Some prejudices will never go away.

He was until last year, to be fair. And to me it just seems like Kittel is able to use his raw power to do well on these kind of finishes. Put a sequence of slightly inclined ramps throughout the stage and I think Cavendish and Greipel will do better than Marcel. But that's just über-prejudiced me speaking. :)

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
BigMac said:
Gloin22 said:
SeriousSam said:

He was until last year, to be fair. And to me it just seems like Kittel is able to use his raw power to do well on these kind of finishes. Put a sequence of slightly inclined ramps throughout the stage and I think Cavendish and Greipel will do better than Marcel. My that's just über-prejudiced me talking. :)

There's difference between acknowledging that Kittel can cope with a single hill and not view him as some sort of one dimensional rider that is 1000% worse than Cav or Greipel vs constantly say how *** of a cyclist he is :p Some people here make him as such (even though yesterday it was clear his leadout messed up hence why I added ''prejudice'' in my first post), as shown yesterday, and on his day he truly isn't.

TRENDING THREADS