• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Tour de France, Stage 5: Limoges → Le Lioran (216km)

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

burning said:
BigMac said:
Contador is some time down on GC but still within the realm of a possible comeback. To strip him of all useful domestiques just because he is a minute behind starts a vicious circle where he continues to lose batches of seconds until he is out for good.

Totally disagree, they should go full 2014 to pick up possibly 3+ stages, kom and green. Contador has virtually no chance to win the tour and nobody would care about podium if Tinkoff goes mad like they did in 2014.

They could've still help Contador today and win 3+ stages and the other jerseys. Give me a break, Tinkoff's tactics are useless or they have something against Contador.

Melo said:
burning said:
BigMac said:
Contador is some time down on GC but still within the realm of a possible comeback. To strip him of all useful domestiques just because he is a minute behind starts a vicious circle where he continues to lose batches of seconds until he is out for good.

Totally disagree, they should go full 2014 to pick up possibly 3+ stages, kom and green. Contador has virtually no chance to win the tour and nobody would care about podium if Tinkoff goes mad like they did in 2014.

I could've still help Contador today and win 3+ stages and the other jerseys. Give me a break, Tinkoff's tactics are useless or they have something against Contador.

A little bit of both.

Point is, burning, Majka achieved nothing by strolling to the line despite a couple of polka points, whereas him waiting for Contador could have made a difference. It's a matter of weight.

DFA123 said:
Melo said:
Majka is a lost cause himself. He was a complete braindead tool today. He rode for absolute nothing, it's not like he'll win or lose the polka jersey with those 2 points from today. Contador may heal, Majka's stupidity can't.

It seems there's no discussing issues with Contador fanboys without the insults flying. Reminds me of the Gallopin situation :rolleyes: Majka was just riding his own race, which he clearly has the team's blessing to do - same with Kreuziger. He's chasing the polka dots and 2 points is clearly better than 0 points, lower morale and resentment within the team..
What about the blow to Contador's morale and the possible resentment towards his teammates this may cause? Is that healthy in a team?
But I guess he'll abandon soon anyway so who cares how he feels, only Kiserlovski and Steven de Jongh, it seems, everyone else doesn't give a *** about him :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

Zinoviev Letter said:
LaFlorecita said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
I'm not an admirer of Majka, but the snarling about him is ridiculous. Contador crashed twice. He doesn't have it. It's not Majka's fault he doesn't have it. It's not Tinkov's fault he doesn't have it either.
Sorry but why the **** does he think finishing 3rd or 4th or 5th is more important than helping his leader? I mean even if Tinkoff have written Contador off Kreuziger was in that group too. This is just the same **** as last year when he finished 13th and Alberto crashed on the descent. I've defended him many times but I now see that I was wrong and he really just only cares about himself.

Well that's just it - if Majka had been in the running for the stage, it would make sense to accuse him of selfishness. But he wasn't in the running for anything of significance. There is zero chance that the DS told him to stop and wait and he didn't because he values a stage third too highly. That wouldn't be selfish, it would be damaging his own prospects in the team for nothing.

It's up to the DS to decide that a rider ahead needs to wait. Majka doesn't have psychic powers and won't know exactly what the situation is behind except perhaps that there are two Tinkov men in the group and Contador isn't feeling great. He's not going to randomly stop without orders to do so - that's not what riders in his situation are supposed to do. If the DS tells him to stop, he stops. If the DS doesn't, he doesn't. If the DS got that call wrong, blame the DS.

i thought there was occasion during TDF when Majka claimed that his radio was broken. Maybe today, his ear was broken.. But anyway, it's water under the bridge. Maybe now it's all about sagan and win a stage. Who cares? Contador's campaign hasn't been blessed w/ any luck. That's just a bad sign. As much as I want to root for the guy, but I'm realistic. If he does have a good form, then he can bounce back. Podium is possible. But he probably doesn't care.

LaFlorecita said:
DFA123 said:
Melo said:
Majka is a lost cause himself. He was a complete braindead tool today. He rode for absolute nothing, it's not like he'll win or lose the polka jersey with those 2 points from today. Contador may heal, Majka's stupidity can't.

It seems there's no discussing issues with Contador fanboys without the insults flying. Reminds me of the Gallopin situation :rolleyes: Majka was just riding his own race, which he clearly has the team's blessing to do - same with Kreuziger. He's chasing the polka dots and 2 points is clearly better than 0 points, lower morale and resentment within the team..
What about the blow to Contador's morale and the possible resentment towards his teammates this may cause? Is that healthy in a team?
But I guess he'll abandon soon anyway so who cares how he feels, only Kiserlovski and Steven de Jongh, it seems, everyone else doesn't give a **** about him :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Fair point. He does seem a bit distant from his best team-mates. The clique of Sagan, Bodnar, Majka and Kreuziger definitely seems to be the heart of the team now, with Contador a bit on the periphery.

I guess it is Contador himself who has given them the go-ahead to ride their own race though. He's honest and decent enough to recognise his form and to give them free reign - at least until he feels as though he can compete again. I don't see him as the type of rider who would demand teammates to always be by his side as he chases 5th or whatever in the GC - a result like that doesn't mean enough to him.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

LaFlorecita said:
DFA123 said:
Melo said:

But I guess he'll abandon soon anyway so who cares how he feels, only Kiserlovski and Steven de Jongh, it seems, everyone else doesn't give a **** about him :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Majka just doesn't care about others. He's no domestique. In general, Saxo is just too weak to support a possible Tour winner. Especially if you look at Movistar and Sky.

In terms of true power, it's already difficult for Contador to beat guys like Froome and Quintana. But with such a poor team, it's almost mission impossible.

I am not a Contador fanboy and don't care who win but my money is on Quitana
but I will say Tinkoff are not supporting Contador like they should ...he is a champion and deserves to be supported until he is not there anymore

Majka is not in all his wild dreams is in any way near Contador even when Contador is injured

It is possible Contador rides on and gets a podium ...much better than Majka who may not even get KOM but even if he does its poor prize for not supporting one of the great riders who is having a bad time and may come through

Where is the loyalty ...

It could be Oleg is dictating tactics but looks bad from a team point of view

Re:

HelloDolly said:
but I will say Tinkoff are not supporting Contador like they should ...he is a champion and deserves to be supported until he is not there anymore

Majka is not in all his wild dreams is in any way near Contador even when Contador is injured

It is possible Contador rides on and gets a podium ...much better than Majka who may not even get KOM but even if he does its poor proze for not supportign one of the great riders who is having a bad time and may come through

Where is the loyalty ...

You think Contador is interested in riding for an outside shot at third? He never has been in his career so far. If he even has the slightest hint that he has the form to shoot up the GC and aim for third, he'll go on hail mary attacks to win the whole thing. That's what makes him such a great and exciting rider.

But he clearly doesn't think he will have that form, and has let Kreuziger and Majka do their own thing - at least for now.

Majka almost pulled a Gadret... for at least half an hour everyone(!?) knew he'ldnt make it to GVA..
It was clear(to me?!) that once Movi was done trying to lose Contador, nobody else went for it and the stage was over...
Agree that whoever was there after a top 5 should have tried.. 31seg gave him until the weekend..
Quintana super strong!!

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site

DFA123 said:
LaFlorecita said:
DFA123 said:
Melo said:

Fair point. He does seem a bit distant from his best team-mates. The clique of Sagan, Bodnar, Majka and Kreuziger definitely seems to be the heart of the team now, with Contador a bit on the periphery.

I guess it is Contador himself who has given them the go-ahead to ride their own race though. He's honest and decent enough to recognise his form and to give them free reign - at least until he feels as though he can compete again. I don't see him as the type of rider who would demand teammates to always be by his side as he chases 5th or whatever in the GC - a result like that doesn't mean enough to him.

well, we shall see if the crazy idoit Oleg will end up continuing his sponsorship. If Contador stays, all the talk here in this forum is just gossip. If he leaves the team while sagan and majka remain there, we are all know that's true. For now, yes, we are questioning Tinfoff priority. It looks like they care for green jersey and stage win and whatever jersey they can get. I agree contador isn't a guy who wants to have his team babysit him. Today was his own battle to see how he was feeling. It's a low point now for Contador. Everywhere he turns seems to be an uphill battle. Even his fans are abandoning him.

There are few things more predictable than people announcing that Froome looks weak because he gets dropped by an attack for a few seconds before he catches back on. When will it be understood that you can't tell anything about him at all from that? It happens whether he's in world beating form or really is about to die. It happens multiple times on individual climbs that he then goes on to win.

DFA123 said:
HelloDolly said:

It is possible Contador rides on and gets a podium ...much better than Majka who may not even get KOM but even if he does its poor proze for not supportign one of the great riders who is having a bad time and may come through

Where is the loyalty ...

But he clearly doesn't think he will have that form, and has let Kreuziger and Majka do their own thing - at least for now.

What thing? They did nothing...

Melo said:
DFA123 said:
HelloDolly said:

Where is the loyalty ...

What thing? They did nothing...

Yeah, that's their thing.

HelloDolly said:
TMP402 said:
If Thomas is plan B, he lost 16 seconds today and Nieve lost 14. Henao finished with Froome though.

Well Dave is sayign it is Thomas & Landa but for me it has ot be Henao ...he looks the strongest climber with Nieve next...of course there is the question if he can last 3 weeks
Yep, agree. He was the one who closed the gap on Movi, too, while Thomas did no work. Nieve also looked strong but he can't possibly last three weeks after the Giro he had.
DFA123 said:
carton said:
DFA123 said:
Not sure it was anything to do with Contador. It's not like he's going to be a threat to Quintana anyway.
For several commentators in this forum everything has to do with Contador. But yeah, that would be quite stupid on Movi's part.
Perhaps unless they're already trying to defend Valverde's third place :D
LOL. But seriously Valverde not going for fourth showed me that he's there for Nairo (and fitness) more resolutely than any of his laborious declarations. That's a quite an arrow to have in your quiver.

Also, all the static from them old school cycling fans about riders losing earpieces and riding for themselves seems a bit precious, IMHO. Majka's been entertaining in a free role before. If Contador truly is done, having him unleashed would be one of the silver linings.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re:

yaco said:
Expect more attacks from Moviestar and Astanavin upcoming mountain stages - Reckon the Sky team is a bit flaky.

maybe they just saving themselves. Movistar burning all their matches to chase.. what a 5 minutes of GVA? Comes first mountain, we'll see they smoke everyone.

DFA123 said:
HelloDolly said:

Where is the loyalty ...

You think Contador is interested in riding for an outside shot at third? He never has been in his career so far. If he even has the slightest hint that he has the form to shoot up the GC and aim for third, he'll go on hail mary attacks to win the whole thing. That's what makes him such a great and exciting rider.

I don't know where you are getting your views from on Contadors thought on his from but this is Contadors interview and he is not talking like a man who is giving up on the contrary (no matter that you have written him off)
https://twitter.com/bambula/status/750713796369448964

TRENDING THREADS