• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Vuelta a España, stage 16: Alcañiz > Peñíscola 156.4km

tmUOgek.jpg

oC8kOj6.png

Km 75.4 - Alto Castillo de Morella 3.4 km a 5.2% - categoría 3

GKqUVpy.jpg

Fresh Sky riders to create echelons and drop Quintana. Sky gets outrageous abuse. Forum crashes.

Top-10 GC
1. QUINTANA Nairo 7 MOVISTAR TEAM 61h 36' 07''
2. FROOME Christopher 21 TEAM SKY 61h 39' 44'' + 03' 37''
3. CHAVES Johan Esteban 51 ORICA BIKEEXCHANGE 61h 40' 04'' + 03' 57''
4. CONTADOR Alberto 11 TINKOFF 61h 40' 09'' + 04' 02''
5. YATES Simon 59 ORICA BIKEEXCHANGE 61h 41' 14'' + 05' 07''
6. SANCHEZ GONZALEZ Samuel 37 BMC RACING TEAM 61h 42' 19'' + 06' 12''
7. TALANSKY Andrew 141 CANNONDALE-DRAPAC PRO CYCLING TEAM 61h 42' 50'' + 06' 43''
8. FORMOLO Davide 145 CANNONDALE-DRAPAC PRO CYCLING TEAM 61h 43' 24'' + 07' 17''
9. DE LA CRUZ David 133 ETIXX - QUICK STEP 61h 43' 30'' + 07' 23''
10. SCARPONI Michele 61 ASTANA PRO TEAM 61h 43' 46'' + 07' 39''

Re:

jsem94 said:
Hope for crosswind action. Contador takes back time on all rivals. Let me dream.

The wind should pick up tomorrow afternoon, but only to 20km/h and generally it will be a cross-tailwind.

https://www.google.pl/#q=weather+forecast+morella+spain

Hence, probably nothing to write home about. On the other hand, ....

Meersman wins the sprint, but due to a pre-stage agreement regarding the riders over the time limit in Stage 15, Felline is declared the winner :cool: ;)

Let's be serious here - how many sprinters are there in the race worth riding most of the day on the front for?

Felline, Farrar, maybe Vandersande and who else? I doubt that Orica, Tinkoff or Movistar will be worrying about chasing for Keukeleire, Bennati or Rojas with the next few stages coming up. The break will take this with a 5-6 minute gap

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
I don't know who's gonna win, but i seriously hope that isn't one of those guys that ended the stage after the time limit, that would be unfair at least :mad:

Re:

42x16ss said:
Let's be serious here - how many sprinters are there in the race worth riding most of the day on the front for?

Felline, Farrar, maybe Vandersande and who else? I doubt that Orica, Tinkoff or Movistar will be worrying about chasing for Keukeleire, Bennati or Rojas with the next few stages coming up. The break will take this with a 5-6 minute gap

That's a very odd selection of three sprinters you've chosen! I would also be surprised if Farrar's team chases the break for him because:

A. I believe Sbaragli is their sprinter and Farrar is there to lead him out
B. Farrar's best finish in this Vuelta is 126th, in yesterday's stage (so perhaps his form is improving).

More realistically, Etixx could chase for Meersman or Giant for Arndt.

Etixx had 6 riders in the gruppetto yesterday so no reason they shouldn't have the means to chase for Meersman.

Re: Re:

The Barb said:
42x16ss said:

That's a very odd selection of three sprinters you've chosen! I would also be surprised if Farrar's team chases the break for him because:

A. I believe Sbaragli is their sprinter and Farrar is there to lead him out
B. Farrar's best finish in this Vuelta is 126th, in yesterday's stage (so perhaps his form is improving).

More realistically, Etixx could chase for Meersman or Giant for Arndt.

Etixx had 6 riders in the gruppetto yesterday so no reason they shouldn't have the means to chase for Meersman.
Arndt has only once finished inside top 150 in this Vuelta.