• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Vuelta a España, Stage 20: Benidorm → Alto de Aitana

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Ataraxus said:
sir fly said:
Froome needs to gain here (roughly) what Quintana would need to gain if there wasn't Formigal failure (or success, as you wish).
Last chance for Contador to take a stage and for Orica to take a podium spot.
Enough for spectacle.

Hadn't formigal happened, it would have left us with a rider with better climbing legs and with a better team having to make up 80 seconds. That translates into a guaranteed spectacle.
Yes, I can agree Froome's chances are lesser than Quintana's would've been.
But Froome is a bigger fighter of the two.

Re:

slosada said:
Vuelta 2014 all over again.
The cast:
Quintana as Berto'14
Froome as... well, Froome

Contador as Valverde'14
Chaves as Purito'14
Lol, you could be spot on. Quintana jumps away in the final km, takes the stage, Contador and Chaves finish a long way back. I think this climb suits Quintana and Froome better than Chaves and Contador who prefer shorter climbs, so only if Quintana and Froome don't care about them or the stage victory, they have a chance to win.

sir fly said:
Ataraxus said:
sir fly said:
Froome needs to gain here (roughly) what Quintana would need to gain if there wasn't Formigal failure (or success, as you wish).
Last chance for Contador to take a stage and for Orica to take a podium spot.
Enough for spectacle.

Hadn't formigal happened, it would have left us with a rider with better climbing legs and with a better team having to make up 80 seconds. That translates into a guaranteed spectacle.
Yes, I can agree Froome's chances are lesser than Quintana's would've been.
But Froome is a bigger fighter of the two.

Hyperbole. Froome's "fight" wasn't that impressive IMO. For example Cadel Evans suffered far more than Froome has ever shown. Four examples that come to mind were 2007 Tdf Aubisque, 2008 Hautacam and 2008 Alpe stages riding single handedly against the might of Saxo whilst carrying injuries from a nasty stage 9 fall and then of course his epic ride up the Galibier which effectively won him the 2011 TdF. Nothing compares that Froome has done when put on the defensive. When has Quintana had to minimise losses? Try the 2016 TdF still got a podium despite obviously poor form.

Quintana has enough, he will take another 15 seconds on Froome in this stage to make a point. Hopefully Chaves can get one over Contador.

Re:

slosada said:
Vuelta 2014 all over again.
The cast:
Quintana as Berto'14
Froome as... well, Froome

Contador as Valverde'14
Chaves as Purito'14
Nice :) !

Call me greedy, but I have another scenario. It has been a great Vuelta so far. If tomorrow is a slug fest, it could be one of the best GTs in the past 30 years. Maybe Bertie holds the key: we know the quote about being second: third place is not good for the great Alberto Contador. He has nothing to lose. Go Berto! Long range attack, win for the ages, Haimar for a top-10.

I hope that we don't get disappointed.

Any estimate on how much climbing there is on this stage? Looking at the profile, my guess is ~4,000 meters of climbing (including uncategorized).

I expect Froome to try something with 50-60km to go. It might be best to try to break up the peloton before the cat2 climb around Alcoleja in a similar manner to what happened on stage 15... get a gap on Quintana before the climb starts, and pray that Quintana cracks or his team runs out of gas and is unable to chase in the 25km between the summit of Tudons and the base of Aitana. I don't think it makes sense to just wait until the last climb. If Quintana is weak enough to crack on the last climb, Froome will have a much better chance on making up the seconds if he's ahead of him before the start of the last climb.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re:

spiritualride said:
Any estimate on how much climbing there is on this stage? Looking at the profile, my guess is ~4,000 meters of climbing (including uncategorized).

I expect Froome to try something with 50-60km to go. It might be best to try to break up the peloton before the cat2 climb around Alcoleja in a similar manner to what happened on stage 15... get a gap on Quintana before the climb starts, and pray that Quintana cracks or his team runs out of gas and is unable to chase in the 25km between the summit of Tudons and the base of Aitana. I don't think it makes sense to just wait until the last climb. If Quintana is weak enough to crack on the last climb, Froome will have a much better chance on making up the seconds if he's ahead of him before the start of the last climb.

The stage is more than 4.000 metres of climbing. In fact, the climbs are not as hard as you can expect but the intermediate profile is harder than you can expect. No many flats, it's a stage with many ups and downs almost all the time. A really good profile to make a hard stage with a big team.

Alto de Rates:
http://1001puertosdemontana.blogspot.com.es/2015/03/coll-de-rates-por-tarbena.html

Alto de Ebo
http://1001puertosdemontana.blogspot.com.es/2014/02/alto-de-ebo-por-pego.html

Alto de Tollos
http://www.altimetrias.net/aspbk/verPerfilusu.asp?id=477

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Sky train to attack, followed by Quintana, Valverde and Fernandez. Froome to drop everyone but Quintana on the second climb. 2 hours plus of mano a mano ;)

LaFlorecita said:
Tonton said:
Go Berto! Long range attack, win for the ages, Haimar for a top-10.
Dude, I want what you've smoked :D
I know it's far fetched :) , but if/when he launches a long range attack, Dawg and Nairito may be waiting for the other to do the work, neutralize each other, not wanting to burn themselves and their teams until the final climb. And Bertie pulls a Floyd. Who knows? Right now, Alberto has nothing to lose. Nothing. If he has the guts to go for it, and I suspect that he will, then I hope that he'll get the glory. And retire on Sunday night.

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site

Tonton said:
LaFlorecita said:
Tonton said:
I know it's far fetched :) , but if/when he launches a long range attack, Dawg and Nairito may be waiting for the other to do the work, neutralize each other, not wanting to burn themselves and their teams until the final climb. And Bertie pulls a Floyd. Who knows? Right now, Alberto has nothing to lose. Nothing. If he has the guts to go for it, and I suspect that he will, then I hope that he'll get the glory. And retire on Sunday night.

Bertie isn't going up against Pereiro and Kloden though, he's going up against great riders (although Sastre was very good).

Durden93 said:
Tonton said:
LaFlorecita said:
Tonton said:

Bertie isn't going up against Pereiro and Kloden though, he's going up against great riders (although Sastre was very good).
Fair enough...but Floyd was no Contador :p .

The alliances between Sky, Tinkoff, Movistar & Orica will be crucial tomorrow. There's some complicated scenarios that could pan out depending on what happens early on with a gap between Chaves & Froome. It will probably all neutralise itself out for the final climb, but I think Froome needs to go all out and unless Chaves can go with him, at some point there's no longer a mutual interest in Contador working with Quintana if Contador is with Chaves already, but Quintana not within a minute of Froome.

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Froome will go full *** with everyone trying to latch on. Chaves gets dropped early on and reminded once again he needs to work on stamina for future grand tours. Contador tries to foolishly attack the two leaders instead of following wheel, so ends up running out of gas and momentarily falls back, but is able to diesel his way back up to the duo. Then we start to see the first sign of weakness by Stoneface as he is unable to match Froome's famed 900 watt accelerations. Froome takes the stage win and bonus time, but still comes up short. Contador manages to retain his 3rd place podium.

Contador to attack with full Tinkoff team at beginning of stage. Valverde to follow.
Contador to win the stage with Valverde 2nd. Valverde to move into the top 10.
Quintana and Froome finish 4 mins back.
Forum to crash at the start of the Alto de Aitana.

I think the bulk of the actions will be early on.. the fight to form the break will be pretty crazy..
i think Contador will be much like Quintana and will play defense and wait/follow to either Sky or OBE to blow their teams before do anything..
It wont work it again "so soon" and with his tinkoff against Movi+Sky...

Durden93 said:
Tonton said:
LaFlorecita said:
Tonton said:

Wash your mouth out boy!

Besides, Pereiro's team was as consistently strong as Sky in Formigal.

And Kloden didn't have the strength of a NINE man team :D

Re:

SHAD0W93 said:
Contador to attack with full Tinkoff team at beginning of stage. Valverde to follow.
Contador to win the stage with Valverde 2nd. Valverde to move into the top 10.
Quintana and Froome finish 4 mins back.
Forum to crash at the start of the Alto de Aitana.

This would be perfect :)

But alas, I think that Contador is too far back to make it worthwhile in trying anything extreme. Also the time trial proved that he really doesn't have the legs, sadly :(

Re:

spiritualride said:

Pedro Delgado mentioned 4200 m yesterday. I've ridden many times all of the stage and if the riders want the battle may be bloody!