• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2016 Vuelta a España, stage 9: Cistierna > Alto del Naranco

CARTE.jpg

PROFIL.png

And I believe this is the right profile:

yAaTSsV.gif

1 Nairo Quintana (Col) Movistar Team 29:55:54
2 Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Movistar Team 0:00:19
3 Christopher Froome (GBr) Team Sky 0:00:27
4 Esteban Chaves (Col) Orica-BikeExchange 0:00:57
5 Leopold Konig (Cze) Team Sky 0:01:16
6 Darwin Atapuma (Col) BMC Racing Team 0:01:36
7 Alberto Contador (Spa) Tinkoff Team 0:01:39
8 Daniel Moreno (Spa) Movistar Team 0:01:44
9 Gianluca Brambilla (Ita) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:01:46
10 Samuel Sanchez (Spa) BMC Racing Team

Although a category 2, this climb has a couple of kilometres where an attack can happen.
And the terrain preceding the climb could provide some action.
Quintana should take advantage of today's momentum... Gain time wherever he can.

One of the great historic climbs in Spain this one. I think Sanchez will try something here in his home town.

On a side note, glad to see they have changed Puerto de Tarna and replaced it with San Isidro. I wrote in the Vuelta preview thread how terrible the surface was on Tarna - would have certainly been crashes. Good decision by the organisers.

Re: 2016 Vuelta a España, stage 9: Cistierna > Alto del Nara

Probably a stage for the break. Does anyone know what the weather will be like? If it rains the up and down on the last 50 kilometers could be very interesting.

Edit: I would actually like this stage even more without the mtf. This Vuelta has enough mtf's anyway.

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Re: 2016 Vuelta a España, stage 9: Cistierna > Alto del Nara

Gigs_98 said:
Probably a stage for the break. Does anyone know what the weather will be like? If it rains the up and down on the last 50 kilometers could be very interesting.

Edit: I would actually like this stage even more without the mtf. This Vuelta has enough mtf's anyway.

Agreed, cut the last climb or put a hill in there or a descent after this would be a great stage - riders still can make it so though, especially with this field.

Re:

peloton said:
Does anyone know how hard the first climb is? There's been some tough, non categoried climbs already.
Not especially. Mostly false flat with a few tougher ramps.

SanIsidroE.gif

Apart from one little ramp the penultimate climb isn't too tough:

Manzaneda2S.gif

The real shame is that they don't loop around Oviedo and finish with the Violeo-Naranco double from the Vuelta a Asturias in 2011 and 2012, which cuts Monte Naranco in half and reduces it to cat.3 but adds another short steep climb before it:

Violeo-Naranco.gif

TRENDING THREADS