• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2017 Giro d'Italia, Stage 1: Alghero - Olbia 206 km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: Re:

DFA123 said:
More Strides than Rides said:
DFA123 said:
Would be kind of cool for the race if Quintana lost two minutes on a few other GC contenders, due to getting caught out behind a split in one of these Sardinian stages. He's such an overwhelming favourite at the moment, but that would level the field nicely and make it anybody's race.

An overwhelming favorite for sure, if you ignore the real possibility that he has been training and will be racing with one foot towards the Tour. He may not be in 100% form, or may not reach full strength until the very end. He may pass up opportunities to pile on his advantage late in the race, and get caught up in Giro chaos like Kruijswijk[/b].
He may well be below 100% and may well make tactical errors; and he may well still win in spite of it all - because he's that much better than everyone else on the startlist. He's currently odds on to win the race; in a three week tour where so much can happen, that's about as overwhelming favourite as it gets. Pretty much the same odds as Froome is to win the Tour.

If Kruijswijk can reach his shape of last year, how much is he off to Quintana who is targetting the double you think?

happytramp said:
Tank Engine said:
Gaviria vs Greipel vs Ewan (I'm guessing he has to be above Hofland in the hierarchy, but in this field Hofland might fancy his chances) with Nizzolo to play the role of Rojas. I'll go with the Columbian climber ;)

Sam Bennett not even getting a look in?....

I'd say that he has a reasonably good shot for top 5.

Edit: He'd have a better shot if Sagan was leading him out (Juraj, of course ;) ). Ettix, Lotto S. and Orica just seem stronger.

happytramp said:
Tank Engine said:
Gaviria vs Greipel vs Ewan (I'm guessing he has to be above Hofland in the hierarchy, but in this field Hofland might fancy his chances) with Nizzolo to play the role of Rojas. I'll go with the Columbian climber ;)

Sam Bennett not even getting a look in?....
Really dependant on his leadout. Bennett is not good at positioning himself on his own. But if he happens to be as well placed as the other three mentioned, he has every chance to beat them.

Gigs_98 said:
Hugo Koblet said:
gospina said:
Jungle Cycle said:
Gaviria in pink..
Will that be crazy? GT debut, 1st stage and gets the leader jersey? has that happened before?
If he does get it, how long will he realistically keep it for?
He'll lose it on stage 4 (obviously :D)
He would probably already lose it on stage 2. Only if the stage ends in a bunch sprint or if the winner of stage 2 had already lost time on stage 1, Gaviria could keep the jersey.
I think Gaviria is the favorite for stage 2 as well.

Davesta said:
Squire said:
gospina said:
Jungle Cycle said:
Gaviria in pink..
Will that be crazy? GT debut, 1st stage and gets the leader jersey? has that happened before?
Hruska and Millar in 2000, the Canc in 2004, Gasparotto in 2007, Castroviejo in 2012. :)

And Phinney in 2012, I think?
He rode the Vuelta in 2011. ;)

Break:

Mirco Maestri (Bardiani-CSF), Cesare Benedetti (Bora-Hansgrohe), Marcin Bialoblocki (CCC Sprandi Polkowice), Pavel Brutt (Gazprom-Rusvelo), Daniel Teklehaimanot (Dimension Data) and Eugert Zhupa (Wilier Selle Italia) already have a lead of 1:20 over the peloton.

Can't wait for the live coverage to start. I'm a kid at Christmas.
Well... except for the fact that I'm not a kid, and it isn't Christmas, but part from those little details. :D

LaFlorecita said:
TourOfSardinia said:
Break contains Pavel Brutt last winner of a race on Sardinian soil.
Interesting factoid!
Pinkest place in Alghero yesterday:
PinkAlghero_zpsklznwzms.jpg

they are flowers :eek:

Squire said:
Davesta said:
Squire said:
gospina said:
Jungle Cycle said:
Gaviria in pink..
Hruska and Millar in 2000, the Canc in 2004, Gasparotto in 2007, Castroviejo in 2012. :)

And Phinney in 2012, I think?
He rode the Vuelta in 2011. ;)

Ah yes, well spotted! :)

May 26, 2009
Visit site

gospina said:
Jungle Cycle said:
Gaviria in pink..

Didn't Oscarito win the 1st stage of his first GT ride. Vuelta circa 1999-2000?

BYOP88 said:
gospina said:
Jungle Cycle said:
Gaviria in pink..

Didn't Oscarito win the 1st stage of his first GT ride. Vuelta circa 1999-2000?
He won the first road stage. There was a time trial before that, which Zülle won. I think my list is exhaustive for this side of the milennium, but there are surely loads of riders who won the first stage of their first GT in the 1900s as well. Hopefully Gaviria is added to that list today. :)