• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2017 season riders schedule

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
But he was rumored to do only the classics that really suit sprinters. That would've been a kinda light classics schedule. At least nothing more than guys like Di Luca, Bettini, Furlan, Argentin, Cunego, Berzin, Rebellin, Vino, Schumacher etc. used to do prior to the Giro.

Riding the Tour in service of Kittel makes zero sense at all.

I think Gaviria is selected because Quickstep wants to have someone for the more difficult finishes which are a bit too hard for Kittel and play Kittel for the pan flat ones. If Gaviria will abandon the Giro after stage 13 I don't think it will be a problem.

Re:

staubsauger said:
But he was rumored to do only the classics that really suit sprinters. That would've been a kinda light classics schedule. At least nothing more than guys like Di Luca, Bettini, Furlan, Argentin, Cunego, Berzin, Rebellin, Vino, Schumacher etc. used to do prior to the Giro.

Riding the Tour in service of Kittel makes zero sense at all.

So that means no E3, P-R, Flanders etc.?

Re: Re:

Ricco' said:
Flamin said:
Lefevre confirms Gaviria is scheduled for the Tour, alongside Kittel, Jungels, Dan Martin and Brambilla. No Giro then I guess.

Are we sure that Lefevre is sure about his own team schedule?

Jungels said at today's team presentation that he will do the Giro and the Vuelta and he is almost sure to miss the Tour.

http://www.lequotidien.lu/a-la-une/cyclisme-bob-jungels-fera-le-giro-mais-pas-le-tour-de-france/

Yeah not sure. Naming these 5 and not Alaphilippe for example is kind of strange.

Maybe it's just the Giro squad and the journo got it mixed up.

Flamin said:
Ricco' said:
Flamin said:
Lefevre confirms Gaviria is scheduled for the Tour, alongside Kittel, Jungels, Dan Martin and Brambilla. No Giro then I guess.

Jungels said at today's team presentation that he will do the Giro and the Vuelta and he is almost sure to miss the Tour.

http://www.lequotidien.lu/a-la-une/cyclisme-bob-jungels-fera-le-giro-mais-pas-le-tour-de-france/

Yeah not sure. Naming these 5 and not Alaphilippe for example is kind of strange.

I don't think that's the Giro either because Brambilla said some time ago that he is debuting at the Tour and is skipping the Giro to be in his best possible condition.

http://www.cyclingquotes.com/news/brambilla_to_make_tour_de_france_debut_in_2017/

Ricco' said:
Flamin said:
Ricco' said:
Flamin said:

I don't think that's the Giro either because Brambilla said some time ago that he is debuting at the Tour and is skipping the Giro to be in his best possible condition.

http://www.cyclingquotes.com/news/brambilla_to_make_tour_de_france_debut_in_2017/

Ah ok, thanks, didn't know that. A shame then that he's skipping il Giro.

Guess we'll just have wait to see.

Re:

yaco said:
Makes sense for Jungels and Brambilla to ride the TDF to give support to Dan Martin who had little support in the 2016 TDF - You could even through Alaphalippe into the mix.
No, it doesn't make sense for Jungels to ride TdF. First of all, you would need more support for Kittel when selecting Martin, Ala and Brambi and secondly, the Giro suits Jungels well - at least compared to TdF. He knows the race, he finished 6th last year with a breakout performance. Of course it makes sense to ride the Giro again.

Valv.Piti said:
yaco said:
Makes sense for Jungels and Brambilla to ride the TDF to give support to Dan Martin who had little support in the 2016 TDF - You could even through Alaphalippe into the mix.
No, it doesn't make sense for Jungels to ride TdF. First of all, you would need more support for Kittel when selecting Martin, Ala and Brambi and secondly, the Giro suits Jungels well - at least compared to TdF. He knows the race, he finished 6th last year with a breakout performance. Of course it makes sense to ride the Giro again.

Disagree - Martin is more chance ( at this stage ) of winning or podiuming in a GC - I'd be giving support to martin instead of Jungels - And it' s not like Etix is a strong GC team.

yaco said:
Valv.Piti said:
yaco said:

Disagree - Martin is more chance ( at this stage ) of winning or podiuming in a GC - I'd be giving support to martin instead of Jungels - And it' s not like Etix is a strong GC team.

Thats nonsense. Martin doesn't deserve to get Jungels riding for him.

Valv.Piti said:
yaco said:
Valv.Piti said:
yaco said:

Thats nonsense. Martin doesn't deserve to get Jungels riding for him.

Jungels is still a young rider - Etix will determine their own priorities - Buy a podium in a GC will be a feather in their cap.

Jungels wont make much difference for Daniel Martin, he will not win and podium is unlikely so he dont need a team to control in the mountains and he should have enough help from Alaphilippe and Brambilla to do what he will do. If Jungels rode the TDF he would likely also end up being used more as a Tony Martin replacement/Kittel-helper as the team needs such a rider and Kittel is the number 1 priority. He would be good for that also, but him getting another Giro-shot and letting someone like Lampaert for instance get the Tour-helperrole instead would be far better for both Etixx as a team and for Jungels as a rider.

Re:

MADRAZO said:
Jungels wont make much difference for Daniel Martin, he will not win and podium is unlikely so he dont need a team to control in the mountains and he should have enough help from Alaphilippe and Brambilla to do what he will do. If Jungels rode the TDF he would likely also end up being used more as a Tony Martin replacement/Kittel-helper as the team needs such a rider and Kittel is the number 1 priority. He would be good for that also, but him getting another Giro-shot and letting someone like Lampaert for instance get the Tour-helperrole instead would be far better for both Etixx as a team and for Jungels as a rider.

It's what Etix sees as a priority - Having Brambilla missing the 100th Giro, suggests the TDF is a priority for Etix - They may have full confidence in Martin getting a podium which is a chance considering many riders seem to be skipping the TDF - Because Jungels rides the TDF doesn't preclude from winning a stage or 2 - Jungels could be an excellent foil if Etix ride an aggressive race and have in one or two breaks.

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
Jungels is riding the Giro, according to Quick Step website on team presentation:

Best young rider of the past Giro d'Italia and one of the race's revelations, Bob Jungels is ready to return to the Corsa Rosa in May and continue his development as a Grand Tour contender: "The plan is to ride again the Giro d'Italia, where I'll line up after doing two other nice Italian races, Strade Bianche and Tirreno-Adriatico. Last year, the Giro was a beautiful experience, and even though the course of the centenary is a hard one, I remain confident in my chances of getting a good result."
Read more at http://quickstepfloorscycling.com/en/news/detail/quick-step-floors-cycling-team-presented-to-the-public/2978

Cannot see him doing Giro and Tour double.

janraaskalt3 said:
Jungels is riding the Giro, according to Quick Step website on team presentation:

Best young rider of the past Giro d'Italia and one of the race's revelations, Bob Jungels is ready to return to the Corsa Rosa in May and continue his development as a Grand Tour contender: "The plan is to ride again the Giro d'Italia, where I'll line up after doing two other nice Italian races, Strade Bianche and Tirreno-Adriatico. Last year, the Giro was a beautiful experience, and even though the course of the centenary is a hard one, I remain confident in my chances of getting a good result."
Read more at http://quickstepfloorscycling.com/en/news/detail/quick-step-floors-cycling-team-presented-to-the-public/2978

Cannot see him doing Giro and Tour double.

Correct decision to do Giro imo.

Oct 31, 2016
Visit site
Peter Sagan's schedule : After the Tour Down Under, he’ll return to Europe with another training camp in Spain before his spring campaign, with confirmed stops at the opening weekend in Belgium, Strade Bianchi, Tirreno-Adriatico and a full schedule from Milano-Sanremo to Paris-Roubaix.

I would have prefered him to race Paris Nice rather than Tirreno Adriatico and be more rested ahead of MSR.
I know it's difficult because Paris Nice is just a day after Strade Bianchi but he always went to Tirreno and it's difficult parcours and weather conditions never made the best preperation i think.

yaco said:
MADRAZO said:

It's what Etix sees as a priority - Having Brambilla missing the 100th Giro, suggests the TDF is a priority for Etix - They may have full confidence in Martin getting a podium which is a chance considering many riders seem to be skipping the TDF - Because Jungels rides the TDF doesn't preclude from winning a stage or 2 - Jungels could be an excellent foil if Etix ride an aggressive race and have in one or two breaks.
Martin has got zero chance to even top 5. He ain't no gc rider at all. He's proved that fact enough times already. And he's got enough chances to focus on the gc as well.

I'd rather see him or Alafpolak target the stage win in the Vosges and potentially the yellow jersey for a few days. Might even turn out to become an arrangement with team Sky. Just like in the old US Postal days.

If I were the DS of QuickStep I would let Jungels and Brambilla lead the Giro while going for sprint stages with Gaviria. At the Tour, I would go for sprint stages with Kittel, while Martin and Alaphilippe can go stage hunting. At the Vuelta I would let Martin go for GC while giving mostly everyone else a free reign.

Off the top of my head, something like this:

Giro:

Jungels
Brambilla
Capecchi
Martinelli
Sabatini
Gaviria
Trentin
Serry
Vakoc

Tour:

Kittel
Terpstra
Martin
Alaphilippe
Sabatini
Richeze
Vermote
Jungels
Keisse

Vuelta:

Martin
De Plus
Lampaert
Brambilla
Stybar
Velits
Gilbert
De la Cruz
+ 1 more

16113909_581420235387429_3808931781775404282_n.jpg

Glad Sep decided to go back to his 'old' schedule.

Roglic first races:

1.2. – 5.2.2017 :  Volta a la Comunitat Valenciana, (ESP)
15.2 – 19.2. 2017: Volta ao Algarve am Bicicleta,, (POR)
4.3.2017 : Strade Bianche (ITA)
8.3. – 14.3.2017: Tirreno – Adriatico (ITA).

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Re:

GP Blanco said:
Roglic first races:

1.2. – 5.2.2017 :  Volta a la Comunitat Valenciana, (ESP)
15.2 – 19.2. 2017: Volta ao Algarve am Bicicleta,, (POR)
4.3.2017 : Strade Bianche (ITA)
8.3. – 14.3.2017: Tirreno – Adriatico (ITA).

I'm really curious to see what Rogla will do this year. :)

TRENDING THREADS