• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2018 FIFA World Cup XXI

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
BullsFan22 said:
Yeah, the score definitely doesn't tell the whole story. England were the better team throughout. This could have easily been 5-1 or 6-1.
No, it couldn't. Score really tells a lot in this case. Tunisia just has defended tie. England had a ball, but except for the goal they've had no scoring opportunities in the second half. They were unable to think of something. Harry Kane saved them.

Kokoso said:
BullsFan22 said:
Yeah, the score definitely doesn't tell the whole story. England were the better team throughout. This could have easily been 5-1 or 6-1.
No, it couldn't. Score really tells a lot in this case. Tunisia just has defended tie. England had a ball, but except for the goal they've had no scoring opportunities in the second half. They were unable to think of something. Harry Kane saved them.

England should have scored 3 or 4 in the opening 20 minutes, that’s not to mention the two blatant fouls on Kane that went unpunished. You are correct about the the second half though, Tunisia changed their shape at half time and England struggled to break them down.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
The Belgians are looking really good.
Against very disappointing teams, though, like normal. Nobody is questioning Belgium's ability to play against bad sides, it's organised Ines they can't play against. And for some reason the FA refuses to organise friendlies against good teams.

Germany look lazy and arrogant. Sweden organised and committed.

Re:

python said:
gorgeous...sweden germany (ongoing) 1:0 !!!!!!!!
It all works out in the end for Germany!!! I was eating breakfast in a restaurant were the owner gave all.. and I mean all employees a Mexican Nat jersey to wear at work.. there was lots of clapping and good cheer because of a pretty lopsided game against SKorea.. I didn't realize how many people would be up and out early... I think my breakfast is safe until Mexico plays in the next bracket..

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

Unchained said:
python said:
gorgeous...sweden germany (ongoing) 1:0 !!!!!!!!
It all works out in the end for Germany!!! I was eating breakfast in a restaurant were the owner gave all.. and I mean all employees a Mexican Nat jersey to wear at work.. there was lots of clapping and good cheer because of a pretty lopsided game against SKorea.. I didn't realize how many people would be up and out early... I think my breakfast is safe until Mexico plays in the next bracket..
i surely hoped for a different score :mad: that said, germany despite being down one player ( well, not as big of a deal as in hockey, where sweden is btw a world champ 2 times in a row)...well, germany showed a real class i have to admit.

the ball passing in the last 10-15 min was exceptionally accurate long or short...no hesitation was shown to 'stretch' the swedish defense by activating the mid field...to steel the game with 10 or so seconds to go, is certainly good luck, but it was also a cold calculation capitalizing on insufficient blocking...my opinion - sweden should have placed at least 3 players, not 2, into a blocking wall, when it was so close physically even if a sharp angle.

the swedes clearly counted on their hight advantage. was not enough...

The "parking of the bus" routine not going so well (Costa Rica, Tunisia, now Sweden - the Swedes were in trouble the moment Özil was dropped!). See if Panama can hold out today against England.
(Edit - good news for Panama - Seems Sterling will start)

Re:

Robert5091 said:
The "parking of the bus" routine not going so well (Costa Rica, Tunisia, now Sweden - the Swedes were in trouble the moment Özil was dropped!). See if Panama can hold out today against England.
(Edit - good news for Panama - Seems Sterling will start)

5-0 at half time, Panama are not a good team, good with their elbows

Perhaps for the first time since Euro 2000, England actually have an exciting, entertaining team. Neither Tunisia nor Panama are exactly an elite opponent, but the difference in attitude for this England side is clear to see when compared to several previous editions of their team.

On a more downbeat note, one of Colombia or Senegal will probably go out after group stage.

Re:

Põhja Konn said:
Perhaps for the first time since Euro 2000, England actually have an exciting, entertaining team. Neither Tunisia nor Panama are exactly an elite opponent, but the difference in attitude for this England side is clear to see when compared to several previous editions of their team.

On a more downbeat note, one of Colombia or Senegal will probably go out after group stage.

Definitely, Japan, Colombia and Senegal are all very entertaining teams, it's a pity one of them won't make it to the last 16.

Re: Re:

Brullnux said:
Flamin said:
James definitely with one of the top 3 individual performances so far this tournament. I really really hope Colombia advance to the 1/16 finals. Awesome team.
I was really impressed with all of Colombia's performance. One of the best team performances so far in the tournament.

I agree, a very strong performance. Colombia v Belgium/England would be a great last 16 tie.

Whilst I obviously want England to beat Belgium, it could be better to finish 2nd in the group. Should Brazil win their group and Germany finish 2nd, the winners of England’s group would play the winner of that game in the QF were they to progress. Whereas the loser may have Senegal and possibly Mexico/Switzerland for a run to the SF. A lot of football to be played yet though.

There is no team in the world with a bigger gulf between talent level and the quality of the game they play, both in terms of the actual football and in terms of the sportsmanship and conduct they present themselves with, than Portugal. Why does Quaresma need to produce such a pathetic display of pretending to be hit and then try to take out a hit just to beat Iran, when he's already contributed with such a sublime goal?

I thought FIFA were supposed to be clamping down on the diving, but this tournament has been the worst yet, so many players trying to get opposition players screwed over with fake injuries the second somebody brushes anywhere near their upper half. It's not just diving to win free kicks and penalties anymore, it's diving to get a break and get undeserved man advantages. Until they start actually punishing the offenders the game is going nowhere, and I'm not going to believe they're serious about clamping down on it until somebody of serious high standing in the sport gets a suspension from it.

The overdogs getting all the luck this tournament. France against Australia. Germany last minute against Sweden (I think that was the one chance for them to lose, by far the best team in the tournament and will crush from now on). And now Spain given the easy route to the final by an incompetent ref. That was the worst decision in history because it was done after var.

What's funny is portugal don't realise they just lost. They got put into the hard section of the group. Spain might have beaten Germany or France or Brazil. Portugal has 0 chance. Their only hope was to win this game. I would have thrown all 11 men forward even at the risk of going out. You take risks to win. They played it safe (got screwed as well) and now they are dead men walking

Re:

The Hitch said:
The overdogs getting all the luck this tournament. France against Australia. Germany last minute against Sweden (I think that was the one chance for them to lose, by far the best team in the tournament and will crush from now on). And now Spain given the easy route to the final by an incompetent ref. That was the worst decision in history because it was done after var.

What's funny is portugal don't realise they just lost. They got put into the hard section of the group. Spain might have beaten Germany or France or Brazil. Portugal has 0 chance. Their only hope was to win this game. I would have thrown all 11 men forward even at the risk of going out. You take risks to win. They played it safe (got screwed as well) and now they are dead men walking
Portugal beated France in Euro '16 final but I agree with your point.

Re:

The Hitch said:

Not sure if this Spain squad is cohesive and strong enough to win it all.

Facing Home Russia in Loujniki will not be a pleasure for them. And I'm not sure they're superior to Croatia at the moment.

TRENDING THREADS