• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2018 Giro d'Italia, Stage 1: Jerusalem - Jerusalem ITT 9.7 K

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

staubsauger said:
Escarabajo said:
DNP-Old said:
Superman +54.
I didn't expect him to loose this amount of time in this type of TT. Rolling type.
Did anything happened to him? maybe being too cautious of crashes?
He crashed this morning while reconnoitering the TT course!
Oh!
Ok. Thanks.
@DNP, he probably would have lost some time but being very cautious about crashing is more time than what we think.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Normal prologues no.
But this was a hard, technical and hilly short TT. So it says a bit more than you let on Rick.

Positive for Froome is that Poels seems good.

A bit more sure. But a bit more than 1 is 1.5...

This is a more indicative prologue than a 6k, flat TT in Liege, but still nowhere near an indicator for who will handle the Jafferau after a day of high mountains and two weeks in the legs.

Re:

Samamba said:
Simply an awesome job from Dumoulin.
Also positively surprised by Campenaerts. I was thinking he was a bit too ambitious thinking he could beat both Dennis and Dumoulin, but he proved he made another step forward this year and is really close to the absolute top of TT'ists. And this wasn't even the perfect parcours for him.
I wouldn't say he was too ambitious, he got very close and he said prior to the race that it was gonna be decided by seconds. But indeed he is getting better at TT's every year.

Bardamu said:
Samamba said:
Simply an awesome job from Dumoulin.
Also positively surprised by Campenaerts. I was thinking he was a bit too ambitious thinking he could beat both Dennis and Dumoulin, but he proved he made another step forward this year and is really close to the absolute top of TT'ists. And this wasn't even the perfect parcours for him.
I wouldn't say he was too ambitious, he got very close and he said prior to the race that it was gonna be decided by seconds. But indeed he is getting better at TT's every year.

Yeah, i meant that I thought he was being a bit too ambitious, but he proved me wrong.

More Strides than Rides said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Normal prologues no.
But this was a hard, technical and hilly short TT. So it says a bit more than you let on Rick.

Positive for Froome is that Poels seems good.

A bit more sure. But a bit more than 1 is 1.5...

This is a more indicative prologue than a 6k, flat TT in Liege, but still nowhere near an indicator for who will handle the Jafferau after a day of high mountains and two weeks in the legs.
Well duh, but it says something about your form at the start of this grand tour. If you're 50 seconds down while having done better TT's, your starting form is not the best it could be (looking at Aru).

To say the start says nothing about the form is just dumb. If for instance Dumoulin doesn't fall or get ill, he'll be in superb shape at the first mountain stage.
What the form is like in the 3rd week is unpredictable for almost everyone. The 3rd week is special for a reason

Re: 2018 Giro d'Italia, Stage 1: Jerusalem - Jerusalem ITT 9

Dumoulin must be the happiest man in the world right now. He is in great shape, won a stage, wears pink and his biggest rival was way worse than expected.
The big question is whether Froome was bad because of a bad shape or because of the crash. And actually I don't even know what's the better option. If this performance was due to his bad shape I have problems seeing him improve so much that he can win. Moreover, if he loses over half a minute on 10 kilometers, he'd lose a lot of time on 35 kilometers? He'd lose over two minutes on Dumoulin just in the time trials and I'm not convinced he has the climbing shape to make that up.
If he is injured however (imo the more likely option. I just refuse to believe Froome messed up his preparation so badly) he could recover and be back at his best in the alps. However you don't lose so much time due to a few minor bruises you got hours ago. Last year Geraint Thomas was still superb after his crash, getting 2nd in the ITT, gaining around 1:20 on a good time trialist like Nibali and still he had to abandon the race. I think Froome will lose more time in the first week, but maybe he can recover. That would in my opinion also be the best scenario for the race.

Actually what I just wrote about Froome 100% counts for Lopez as well. We don't exactly know how good/bad Lopez is in TT's so his bad performance didn't strike out as much as Froome's, but I really really don't think a 61st place represents how good he really is.

Re: 2018 Giro d'Italia, Stage 1: Jerusalem - Jerusalem ITT 9

Gigs_98 said:
Dumoulin must be the happiest man in the world right now. He is in great shape, won a stage, wears pink and his biggest rival was way worse than expected.
The big question is whether Froome was bad because of a bad shape or because of the crash. And actually I don't even know what's the better option. If this performance was due to his bad shape I have problems seeing him improve so much that he can win. Moreover, if he loses over half a minute on 10 kilometers, he'd lose a lot of time on 35 kilometers? He'd lose over two minutes on Dumoulin just in the time trials and I'm not convinced he has the climbing shape to make that up.
If he is injured however (imo the more likely option. I just refuse to believe Froome messed up his preparation so badly) he could recover and be back at his best in the alps. However you don't lose so much time due to a few minor bruises you got hours ago. Last year Geraint Thomas was still superb after his crash, getting 2nd in the ITT, gaining around 1:20 on a good time trialist like Nibali and still he had to abandon the race. I think Froome will lose more time in the first week, but maybe he can recover. That would in my opinion also be the best scenario for the race.

Actually what I just wrote about Froome 100% counts for Lopez as well. We don't exactly know how good/bad Lopez is in TT's so his bad performance didn't strike out as much as Froome's, but I really really don't think a 61st place represents how good he really is.

I was just gonna same something similar to the first part of your post. No doubt he’s happy and it’s gotta give him confidence.

TRENDING THREADS