• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2018 Giro d'Italia, stage 2: Haifa - Tel Aviv 167 km

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

search said:
Leinster said:
Hugo Koblet said:
Sam Bennett will win this one.

But Viviani has the form, which none of the other sprinters in the race have really shown this year.

well, he has had a good spring for sure, but I haven't seen much of that form in Romandie. I would say his shape is still a bit of an unknown

Romandie really never worked out for any of the sprinters, though, did it? I wouldn't use that as any sort of indicator.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Viviani most likely
Other main candidates are Bennett, D. Van Poppel and Mareczko

Not a lot of good sprinters here.. rest is Guardini, Bonifazio, Drucker, Sbaragli, Modolo, B.Planckaert, B. van Poppel...meager
Sprinters have been skipping Giro and Vuelta for a while now, especially the Vuelta. That's why Degenkolb has 10 Vuelta stage wins, but zero Tour stages: weak competition. I hope Sagan rides the Giro next few years.

Leinster said:
search said:
Leinster said:
Hugo Koblet said:
Sam Bennett will win this one.

But Viviani has the form, which none of the other sprinters in the race have really shown this year.

well, he has had a good spring for sure, but I haven't seen much of that form in Romandie. I would say his shape is still a bit of an unknown

Romandie really never worked out for any of the sprinters, though, did it? I wouldn't use that as any sort of indicator.
He was pretty bad on the hills there though, wasn't he? That's really the only indicator we have. But I wouldn't put too much into that, as he should have timed his form for the Giro.

Re:

search said:
well, there are no other indicators of his form, just coming back from the post classics "holiday"
Without wanting to get into a philosophical debate about what constitutes “form” and what is “ancient history,” Viviani’s nearly unique among sprinters in this Giro in actually having a few results of consequence in 2018.

El Pistolero said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Viviani most likely

Not a lot of good sprinters here.. rest is Guardini, Bonifazio, Drucker, Sbaragli, Modolo, B.Planckaert, B. van Poppel...meager
Sprinters have been skipping Giro and Vuelta for a while now, especially the Vuelta. That's why Degenkolb has 10 Vuelta stage wins, but zero Tour stages: weak competition. I hope Sagan rides the Giro next few years.
Sagan is t going to the Giro any season soon. California is easier cycling, better weather, and more wins for him and his team.

Leinster said:
El Pistolero said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Viviani most likely

Sagan is t going to the Giro any season soon. California is easier cycling, better weather, and more wins for him and his team.
Easier? check out sprinting field there this year...

El Pistolero said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Viviani most likely

The Giro is usually the least sprinter friendly GT. Even McEwen used to ride half the Giro and then leave and prepare for the Tour. Gaviria cleaned up but never had much opposition except for a rookie like Ewan.

movingtarget said:
El Pistolero said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Viviani most likely

The Giro is usually the least sprinter friendly GT. Even McEwen used to ride half the Giro and then leave and prepare for the Tour. Gaviria cleaned up but never had much opposition except for a rookie like Ewan.
La Vuelta disagrees.

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Samamba said:
Dennis wants it too. Or they just don't want Campenaerts to have it for some reason.

BMC must be scared about the amount of girls Campenaerts is going to ask out whilst wearing the Maglia Rosa. Good on them.

:D

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Journalist: With the great form you are in, what should we expect from you now?
Campenaerts: Probably a podium in Rome

Changed my mind, give him the pink jersey.

TRENDING THREADS