• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2018 Giro d'Italia, stage 2: Haifa - Tel Aviv 167 km

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Seventh win already for Viviani. He seems to fit in well at QS, as long as he doesn't expect to be a leader for the sprints in the Tour. He can mop off stage wins in the Giro and Vuelta instead. He also podiumed his first classic with QS. He only had one win at Team Sky at this point in time last year. I had my doubts when they signed him last year, but he proved me wrong.

Re:

El Pistolero said:
Seventh win already for Viviani. He seems to fit in well at QS, as long as he doesn't expect to be a leader for the sprints in the Tour. He can mop off stage wins in the Giro and Vuelta instead. He also podiumed his first classic with QS. He only had one win at Team Sky at this point in time last year. I had my doubts when they signed him last year, but he proved me wrong.
What about his double (Cyclassics Hamburg and the Bretagne Classic) at Sky? You don't consider them classics? :D

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Viviani is a nice character, very down to earth and kind (have heard him in a couple of podcasts). I root for him, but that guy Kubo could potentially give him some trouble! He was super strong today, Bennett was also decent, but started too late.

I know you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but Viviani is one of these people that only takes a second to look at and you know he's a kind person. Deserved win and followed Mareczko at exactly the right moment.

Poels lost 40 seconds by the way.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Viviani is a nice character, very down to earth and kind (have heard him in a couple of podcasts). I root for him, but that guy Kubo could potentially give him some trouble! He was super strong today, Bennett was also decent, but started too late.
he looks and sounds like a cuddly teddy bear. Japenese people would call him "kawaii". Very easy to like Viviani. I also liked how upset he was with his second place in GW, second place is for losers.

Re: Re:

silvergrenade said:
yaco said:
Viviani won the same way a in each of his seven wins in 2018 - That's by following wheels.
Which is what every sprinter does. :rolleyes:

Watch races - Viviani has failed nearly every time QS has dominated the lead out and put him in prime position - Today was typical of his wins in that he didn't come off a team-mates wheel who was in first or second position when the final sprint started.

Re: Re:

Vroome.exe said:
yaco said:
movingtarget said:
yaco said:
Viviani won the same way a in each of his seven wins in 2018 - That's by following wheels.

Yes always with a late burst.

Nailed it - Viviani works best when he is a few wheels back.
Every sprinter works better that way. It's harder to accelerate from your leadout man than coming from behind.

Not really. Viviani comes from a long long way back which increases the chances of being held up or of gaps closing. Most sprint trains prefer to have their sprinter much closer. With better opposition in this race it would have been much tougher for him but a very well taken win.

Re:

Velolover2 said:
How many stages can Viviani win? He is by far the fastest rider and sometimes difficult to drop on lumpy stages.

I see stage 3, 7, 12, 13, 21.

If he is really good, stage 10 and 17 are possible too but they look more like breakaway stages.
I would say the 12th is quite difficult for him, 17th could be better.

TRENDING THREADS