• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2018 Innsbruck World Championship Men's Road Race - 259km

Page 39 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

42x16ss said:
Very true. With the notable exception of easily ridden editions of Milan-San Remo and 220km+ pancake flat Tour stages you need to be having a very good day just to get a seat at the table, let alone a chance to play your cards once you get past 220-230kms in a race like this.

I was never a pro, but I raced NRS long enough to race several editions of races like Melbourne-Warrnambool and Grafton-Inverell to know that you don’t find out if you’ve got the legs to have a real chance until around 200kms in and you don’t want to risk not being there to find out by riding wastefully

Yeah, and I want to say in advance, I'm happy with what happened in the race.

But the counterargument is, that that's one of the ways how pro road racing is a team sport.
You might not want to hurt your chances with a premature attack, but the DS can decide to gamble one way or the other with some of his riders.

And Valgren, who is a strong guy obviously, but not super-human showed it is possible to get away even at the peak of tempo.

Imagine instead putting the muro in the penultimate lap or before, maybe in a couple of laps, that would have been so much better creating huge gaps before.
I mistakenly expected so much more selection.
Many users proposed this solution, they were totally right.

Re:

Bolder said:
I appreciate the passion (and self deprecation!) of the Dutch fans on here. It's hard to believe that a team with Poels/Dumoulin/Mollema/Kruijswijk and Kelderman couldn't figure out a way to neutralize Valverde (and to a lesser extent, the French top 3 -- who pushed the pace at a crucial time). As mentioned, you're never out of it when TD's on your team, however. Guess it comes down to legs at the end but in the back of my mind I thought SK was one of the pre-race favorites, with Bardet, Moscon and Valverde.

Speaking of Bardet, he's got to figure out a way to start winning. Guy is amazingly tough in one-day races but without a sprint or TT skills he's always going to be 2nd-10th at the end if he can make the selection.

To be fair - his sprint isn't even too bad. Not a Vlaverde but for sure no Pozzovivo either.

On another note: my surprise of the day - Kennaugh being by far the best Brit :D

Re:

Bolder said:
I appreciate the passion (and self deprecation!) of the Dutch fans on here. It's hard to believe that a team with Poels/Dumoulin/Mollema/Kruijswijk and Kelderman couldn't figure out a way to neutralize Valverde (and to a lesser extent, the French top 3 -- who pushed the pace at a crucial time). As mentioned, you're never out of it when TD's on your team, however. Guess it comes down to legs at the end but in the back of my mind I thought SK was one of the pre-race favorites, with Bardet, Moscon and Valverde.

Speaking of Bardet, he's got to figure out a way to start winning. Guy is amazingly tough in one-day races but without a sprint or TT skills he's always going to be 2nd-10th at the end if he can make the selection.
The Dutch had many toys to play with, but it's not like it was a solvable task by definition.

I only saw the last 35 or so kms, , kudo's to TD for getting back in the final km, Bardet however "killed" Alaph with his tempo on "the Hell", it seesm he didn't realize Alaph wasn't able to follow.

A little disapointed by the absence of columbian riders although the climbing and murito must have suited MAL (did he participate?) or an Uran?

Jagartrott said:
ppanther92 said:
On another note: my surprise of the day - Kennaugh being by far the best Brit :D
The Brits win GTs left and right, but don't seem to bother showing up at the Worlds. And then the manager was 'happy' with the performance. WTF?

Kennaugh rode a great race and the likes of Tao and Stannard certainly did their bit but you might as well have left Simon out and I think they polyjuiced Steve Cummings into Adam for the day. I was surprised G didn't look at this race as an opportunity, although I'm not sure he would have got up the murito.

Re: 2018 Innsbruck World Championship Men's Road Race - 259k

Great winner, even though it all came to the last climb I thought the race was entertaining in the last 2-3 laps.
And it doesn't get more honest than a murito like this, but from a tactical perspective it would have been indeed better to place it a lap earlier, although riders would have probably waited in that case as well.

As far for the Dutch tactical mistakes, I think the only mistake they made is that no one tried to follow Valgren. With the pace of the last laps there wasn't much more they could have done.

DoX8ARCXkAgoVnV.jpg

Analysis of Woods' data

Softpedalled till the final climb. Drafting was super important.

Re:

Lexman said:
I only saw the last 35 or so kms, , kudo's to TD for getting back in the final km, Bardet however "killed" Alaph with his tempo on "the Hell", it seesm he didn't realize Alaph wasn't able to follow.

A little disapointed by the absence of columbian riders although the climbing and murito must have suited MAL (did he participate?) or an Uran?
Uran was probably the biggest disappointment of the race - don't know if he has a physical or health issue. It had looked like he had done the perfect prep race in the Vuelta - out of contention but solid and improving in the final week

Re:

Lexman said:

Lopez did participate, unfortunately he crashed.
"an Uran"? Which one? :p

RedheadDane said:
Lexman said:

Uran Uran.

Red Rick said:
RedheadDane said:
Lexman said:

Uran Uran.

Are you suggesting he's managed to learn the "Multi-form Technique"?

RedheadDane said:
Red Rick said:
RedheadDane said:
Lexman said:

Uran Uran.

Are you suggesting he's managed to learn the "Multi-form Technique"?

Or maybe his parents are cousins?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rigoberto_Ur%C3%A1n_Ur%C3%A1n

Re:

Velolover2 said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toDqX2_KFDc

Anybody seen the UCI's official résumé of the race? Holy shait it's bad.

A minute and a half of random shots of landscapes or nothing happening very early in the race, all of them cut too fast to see much. Then within 2 seconds (literally 2 seconds!) it cuts from 90km to go, to the finishing straight, ignoring all the actual racing inbetween.

All of it overlaid with music instead of commentary, just as the fans hate.

Yep, looks like a typical UCI video alright

GuyIncognito said:
Velolover2 said:

A minute and a half of random shots of landscapes or nothing happening very early in the race, all of them cut too fast to see much. Then within 2 seconds (literally 2 seconds!) it cuts from 90km to go, to the finishing straight, ignoring all the actual racing inbetween.

It's really annoying that someone has chosen to take TV rights seriously this year. We can hardly find any of the big races on Youtube anymore.

tobydawq said:
GuyIncognito said:
Velolover2 said:

It's really annoying that someone has chosen to take TV rights seriously this year. We can hardly find any of the big races on Youtube anymore.
I mean, I get why they don't want footage they have the rights for floating around everywhere on youtube, but it is a pity that the organizers don't at least make proper highlight videos. And I'm not taking about 3 minute highlight cuts like these but proper 10 or more minutes videos (like organizations like the NFL for example). Or are they afraid people will then just stop watching races altogether?

Gigs_98 said:
tobydawq said:
GuyIncognito said:
Velolover2 said:

I mean, I get why they don't want footage they have the rights for floating around everywhere on youtube, but it is a pity that the organizers don't at least make proper highlight videos. And I'm not taking about 3 minute highlight cuts like these but proper 10 or more minutes videos (like organizations like the NFL for example). Or are they afraid people will then just stop watching races altogether?
It's disgusting in many sports. I'm not sure why they do it like that.

Gigs_98 said:
tobydawq said:
GuyIncognito said:
Velolover2 said:

I don't understand why they can't allow their races to be uploaded to Youtube when they don't offer a streaming service that can allow us to watch races that took place more than a week ago.

tobydawq said:
Gigs_98 said:
tobydawq said:
GuyIncognito said:
Velolover2 said:

I don't understand why they can't allow their races to be uploaded to Youtube when they don't offer a streaming service that can allow us to watch races that took place more than a week ago.

Exactly.

TRENDING THREADS