• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

2018 Route d'Occitanie (2.1), June 14-17

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

johnymax said:
What a spectacular finish. Valverde beaten on the line
Clipboard.jpg

Clipboard.gif

Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
GuyIncognito said:
tobydawq said:
Damn it!

Sky-bot? Why yell yes in this situation? That's just pure spite.

You still haven't noticed? He's a troll who never writes anything rational.
You're giving him the reaction he wants, just do like most of the forum is doing and ignore him.

You're right, it was a heat-of-the-moment reaction from me.

as long as there´s no hate I can understand. I would have yelled YES the same way if anybody succeeded in catching Nibali last March in Sanremo. great racer, but I dont like him.

Mistimed the sprint after a 70K break with Sanchez. He now has 11 wins for the year equaling last year's win total and 4 shy of his most ever wins as a pro of 15 while he was at Kelme in 2004. He's also 4 wins short of getting 100 wins for Movistar and 1 win short of Indurain's team record.

No excuses.
I have exactly the same feelings to Valverde as majority of his fans to Froome: I hope he will never will anything in PRR, it's just the same as their hopes considering Froome. It was so obvious during Finestre stage and so many times earlier.
I hope he will retire as soon as possible. Of course there are clinic issues but can't be elaborated here.
But I have never said I hate him. So simple.

GuyIncognito said:
tobydawq said:
Damn it!

Sky-bot? Why yell yes in this situation? That's just pure spite.

You still haven't noticed? He's a troll who never writes anything rational.
You're giving him the reaction he wants, just do like most of the forum is doing and ignore him.
He's not a troll.
I dont see you writing the same when people comment on similar lines when Froome wins since its fashionable on this forum to bash Sky.
Thats his reaction and is entitled to it.

Sky-bot, mistiming a sprint isn't an excuse, it's a fact. He mistimed his sprint. The fact that he was 2nd and if he'd timed the sprint correctly would have won the stage is crazy considering he'd spent 70K in a break trying to help Sanchez get on the podium. Also Valverde and Sagan are about the only guys in the peloton who can spend a long time out in a break, return to the peloton and then try to win the stage in a sprint. This actually speaks more to Valverde's abilities that he was in the mix and if he'd have timed his sprint correctly could have actually won the stage.

Re:

Koronin said:
Sky-bot, mistiming a sprint isn't an excuse, it's a fact. He mistimed his sprint. The fact that he was 2nd and if he'd timed the sprint correctly would have won the stage is crazy considering he'd spent 70K in a break trying to help Sanchez get on the podium. Also Valverde and Sagan are about the only guys in the peloton who can spend a long time out in a break, return to the peloton and then try to win the stage in a sprint. This actually speaks more to Valverde's abilities that he was in the mix and if he'd have timed his sprint correctly could have actually won the stage.
I dont think he really cares about what an amazing athlete Valverde is. Ahem ahem..
He doesnt like him and he likes to see him lose.
Its as simple as that.

silvergrenade said:
Koronin said:
I dont think he really cares about what an amazing athlete Valverde is. Ahem ahem..
He doesnt like him and he likes to see him lose.
Its as simple as that.

I'm sure you're right.

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
Do you know many 2.1 races with such winners in the prize list? Valverde, Contador, Voeckler, Quintana...Jalabert, Duclos-Lassale, Roche or Moser? :cool: And with stages it's even more impressive (from Fignon to Demare).

silvergrenade said:
I dont see you writing the same when people comment on similar lines when Froome wins since its fashionable on this forum to bash Sky.
Thats his reaction and is entitled to it.

Valverde fans say it's fashionable to bash Valverde. Froome fans say it's fashionable to bash Froome. Contador fans say it's fashionable to bash Contador. Even Sagan fans say it's fashionable to bash him despite the widespread love affair for him.

None of it is true, but people are biased, and you're no exception. I'd probably be saying it's fashionable to bash Tchmil if he was still racing.

Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
Why was LLS riding all out for Valverde?

I really don't think he was. I think it was the other way around. LLS went ... Bala followed and then they took turns because they could get to the line ahead of the peloton if they got it right. They have done it before this year. I suspect that LLS was meant to take the stage but couldn't sprint. Bala waited until he realised that LLS was done and went for it.

And to think that Valverde is accused of wheelsucking to within 100m of the line on steep ramps all the time. I actually think he is getting more cavalier as he nears retirement.

armchairclimber said:
Zinoviev Letter said:

I really don't think he was. I think it was the other way around. LLS went ... Bala followed and then they took turns because they could get to the line ahead of the peloton if they got it right. They have done it before this year. I suspect that LLS was meant to take the stage but couldn't sprint. Bala waited until he realised that LLS was done and went for it.

And to think that Valverde is accused of wheelsucking to within 100m of the line on steep ramps all the time. I actually think he is getting more cavalier as he nears retirement.

It appeared more like Bala was trying to help LLS get onto the podium. If LLS was stronger today they may have succeeded.

I think there's that perception of him being a wheel sucker because he's more than happy to sit back and wait for the sprint because it's so good. Even today after being out in the break/attack with LLS for 70K if he'd have timed his sprint correctly it's likely he wins the stage. I don't know if it's more cavalier as it is he's now just racing for fun and with no pressure to do anything. You've seen that change since his Tour podium. When he got that podium, he said he finally feels like he belongs and now has nothing left to prove. Almost like before that he felt he had to prove he belonged and for a lack of a better term a lack of self confidence, thus being very conservative in his approach and so very willing to rely on that sprint of his. Last year he said for the rest of his career he was racing for fun, to chase races he still wants but hasn't yet won and to chase history. At some point this year he made a comment about racing on borrowed time.

Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:

I think it was vice-versa. Valverde went after him not because he needed more time, or wanted a stage so badly, but more out of fun, for pure racing, and to try to help Luisle to reach the podium. i think he would've let him win the stage too...

Blanco said:
Zinoviev Letter said:

I think it was vice-versa. Valverde went after him not because he needed more time, or wanted a stage so badly, but more out of fun, for pure racing, and to try to help Luisle to reach the podium. i think he would've let him win the stage too...

It's good to have friends on other teams.

TRENDING THREADS